Brusa charger in my LEAF

Nissan EV Interest Group
Greg partridge
Groupie

Brusa charger in my LEAF

Post by Greg partridge »

Last year I bought a second hand Brusa charger from eBay to install in my LEAF in parallel with the OEM.
There has been a lot of work from several of the AEVA Sydney members but today we had it working charging the LEAF at 16 amps with the ORM charger charging at 10 amps, although this could be increased to 16 amps also.
There are a few options for charging with the Brusa, Auto, Booster and CAN. At this stage we have only used Auto.
Many thanks to Jaron, Mark, Geoff and Michael for their assistance and input.
jonescg

Brusa charger in my LEAF

Post by jonescg »

A full charge in just over 3 hours! Awesome Greg!
Last edited by jonescg on Sat, 28 Jan 2017, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
alexeiw123
Groupie

Brusa charger in my LEAF

Post by alexeiw123 »

How does it go for public charging? does it communicate with the EVSE so as not draw more current than the installation can provide?

Sounds like a great achievement!
Last edited by alexeiw123 on Mon, 30 Jan 2017, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
Greg partridge
Groupie

Brusa charger in my LEAF

Post by Greg partridge »

I haven't had it running with Can mode yet only auto mode, with power coming via two circuits. Next step will be tackling the CAN mode
KiegKhan
Groupie

Brusa charger in my LEAF

Post by KiegKhan »

I don't understand the point of this. Wouldn't any commercial EVSE be able to charge at 16Amps? Or does this allow you to plug two 240v 10A cords in? Them you have the risk that both are on the same circuit (very likely in a house) and trip the circuit breaker.
From a point of view "I did it", it is cool enough.
Now retrofitting the 30A charger into the 2012 Leaf, that would be interesting.
Sounds like you guys are having fun in any case.
Leaf'n the ICE age behind
Greg partridge
Groupie

Brusa charger in my LEAF

Post by Greg partridge »

KiegKhan wrote: I don't understand the point of this. Wouldn't any commercial EVSE be able to charge at 16Amps? Or does this allow you to plug two 240v 10A cords in? Them you have the risk that both are on the same circuit (very likely in a house) and trip the circuit breaker.
From a point of view "I did it", it is cool enough.
Now retrofitting the 30A charger into the 2012 Leaf, that would be interesting.
Sounds like you guys are having fun in any case.

With this modification I can plug in one J1772 into the original inlet and charge at 16amps and plug another in to the second J1772 inlet and charge at 10amps or 16amps depending on what is available. Many ChargePoints have dual J1772 cables and can charge at 16amps. At home I have two outlets next to each other on different circuits. This modification gives me the capability of charging at 32 amps, dramatically reducing charging time.
KiegKhan
Groupie

Brusa charger in my LEAF

Post by KiegKhan »

Thanks for clarifying, from the article it seemed like you were charging at 16A, but if you can actually charge higher, then that is excellent.
So if you pull up to a Charge Point with 2 * J1772 are you getting the full 16A from each or was one only 10A, ie: total of 32A or 26A?
I can't see any links or other details on how you did this, is it documented? I imagine it is an advanced installation, but maybe others in the country have an interest in this, not just in Sydney.
Leaf'n the ICE age behind