Nissan leaf 2g/3g switch

Nissan EV Interest Group
deeru
Noobie

Nissan leaf 2g/3g switch

Post by deeru »

I don't know if you are aware, but Nissan is going to recall the Nissan Leaf (all of them even without warranty) to swap the 2G receiver to a 3G receiver following the Telstra 2G network shutdown. This will be free of charge and is going to happen beginning of next year.

I discovered this after I called Nissan because I was not able to register and get credentials to CarWings, and they told me that the system due to this migration is going to stay down until early next year. It very annoying though that without carwings I cannot use the phone app and turn on the Aircond from remote in my just purchased nissan leaf...

Cheers, Luca
Richo

Nissan leaf 2g/3g switch

Post by Richo »

I've seen that migration in a lot of electronics over the past 6 months.
Recall - 2G -> 3G.
Nice of Nissan to do all the Leafs for free!
Probably worth $20 of parts and 15min labour per leaf to Nissan.

Accounting for some losses(crashes) there's probably 200k around.
So all up cost maybe around USD$7M for the change over worldwide.

So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
KiegKhan
Groupie

Nissan leaf 2g/3g switch

Post by KiegKhan »

Still waiting for a response from Nissan about what is going to happen with 2G service. Can only hope that it does get updated sooner rather than later, but given this information has been known for 6-12 months and with 1 month to go we have not received any recall letters, it is hard to believe it will happen any time soon.
Waiting until the service is shut down (ie: early next year) is pretty poor customer service if they already have the modules available now.
Leaf'n the ICE age behind
reecho

Nissan leaf 2g/3g switch

Post by reecho »

Telstra's 2G network gets switched off in a week...
KiegKhan
Groupie

Nissan leaf 2g/3g switch

Post by KiegKhan »

The letter arrived last week. Leaf booked in for 27th Feb, can't wait to get the mobile system working again. Dealer has allowed a day because they haven't done any yet. Hope it is just a 15 minute job as I need to charge the Leaf for at least 3 hours to get home again.
Feng
Groupie

Nissan leaf 2g/3g switch

Post by Feng »

A few owners of the Ozleaf forum (myself included) had a problem with the upgrade only partially working. It can update charging stations and download RSS feeds but you couldn't remotely control the climate control or charging. Best to check the app works when you collect your car so you can make sure it's 100% working.
KiegKhan
Groupie

Nissan leaf 2g/3g switch

Post by KiegKhan »

Thanks for the heads up. Was it resolved?

Apart from the fact this system is covered under warranty, the main reason to have this is for remote climate control and alerts when the car is charged, so it would be pretty useless if it doesn't work after the upgrade.

I'll make sure to check it after the service.
Feng
Groupie

Nissan leaf 2g/3g switch

Post by Feng »

Not for me and not for a few other owners I know. Some try to get their dealers to fix it and I've tried contacting Nissan customer support with no response. I think at least one person was able to get their dealer to fix it after the service but he's not sure if it was just luck.
thardy456
Noobie

Nissan leaf 2g/3g switch

Post by thardy456 »

Thanks for the heads up. Taking my Leaf tomorrow so I'll load the App and test while I'm there.

Cheers, T.
2010 iMiEV (ex-WA)
2004 Prius itech
6kW solar PV
raymond
Noobie

Nissan leaf 2g/3g switch

Post by raymond »

Has anyone had any luck getting access working after the 2G/3G update?

My car claims I need to create an account but as far as I can tell there is an account and the username and password in the car correspond to the username and password in the owner portal.

I took the vehicle back to the dealership who claimed "it is all working as far as we go". I guess I will have to call Nissan.