I bought a ...... Leaf!

Leaf Interest Group
Bryce
Groupie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by Bryce » Fri, 26 Dec 2014, 15:32

Hi all - to paraphrase the annoying fossil car ad: I just bought a Leaf! Most impressive - especially as I have already driven well past the range of my Getz and still to need a charge.

Is exceedingly nice to have the EV Grin back whilst I decide on whether the Getz needs brain surgery or a transplant.

Problem is, the Leaf is so good that by the time I've diagnosed/fixed the Getz, I may not be able to go back to it and let my partner drive the Leaf as was the plan!

Cheers
Bryce

jonescg

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by jonescg » Fri, 26 Dec 2014, 15:50

Nice one Bryce! Was it new or used? The Getz could still be a viable EV with better cells, it's just a matter of financing them.

Happy motoring!
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

EV2Go

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by EV2Go » Fri, 26 Dec 2014, 17:17

You bought a Leaf... Yep I bought a Leaf.

Bryce
Groupie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by Bryce » Fri, 26 Dec 2014, 18:43

Thanks Chris - its a second-hand one. (One of the ex Vic EV trial cars). NB Getz range is perfectly good as is with it's current battery pack - but doing 130km on my first charge in the Leaf without even trying to be economical is definitely a bonus!

Re Getz - just the controller is likely kaput. (Will probably do a Tritium upgrade). Will upgrade the Getz battery when it starts to decline - however that may be a ways off: battery pack in it is still A1.

Nice one Bryce! Was it new or used? The Getz could still be a viable EV with better cells, it's just a matter of financing them.

Happy motoring![/QUOTE]

tjgeel
Noobie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by tjgeel » Tue, 30 Dec 2014, 21:55

Congrats Bryce, i just picked my EV trial LEAF last week as well. I'm in Geelong & am a member of the Geelong ATA EV branch. Got any ideas about sourcing an Aus sat Nav headunit to get Carwings etc working? Cheers, Tim j
Last edited by tjgeel on Tue, 30 Dec 2014, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

Bryce
Groupie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by Bryce » Thu, 01 Jan 2015, 14:46

Hi there - I was following a thread on some North American Leafs being imported to a scandanavian country, and the research being done to change the satnav maps. However I seem to have lost the thread! If you find it - can you let me know. I think it was on http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/
Cheers
Bryce

tjgeel
Noobie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by tjgeel » Fri, 02 Jan 2015, 02:29

Thanks Bryce, I'll see what I can find.
Cheers

Bryce
Groupie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by Bryce » Fri, 02 Jan 2015, 13:41

HAve found the thread (in fact two) - but no resolution has yet been found except for changing the whole unit.
The threads were:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&start=10
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16414

Cheers
Bryce
P.S. I got the forum wrong in the lead I sent in the earlier post - Apologies for sending you off on a wild goose chase!

tjgeel
Noobie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by tjgeel » Fri, 02 Jan 2015, 19:08

Thanks Bryce, before purchasing the EV trial vehicle, Nissan Aust advised that if I wanted a functioning Sat Nav with Carwings, I needed to change the head unit at a cost of $6k!! My local dealer also quoted around $6.5k!! A simple change of the SD card with maps will obviously not work, so I expect that I will just been using my phone or mini iPad for sat nav & Chargepoint/PlugShare apps.

No worries about the wild goose chase. I have been enjoying searching across most international LEAF forums anyway.

Incidentally, I have a friend with a 2011 Electron that has been off the road as well, but am not sure what the issues he has are altho he reakons it's not the controller. I hope you can get your Blade operational soon.

Cheers
tim j
Last edited by tjgeel on Fri, 02 Jan 2015, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

Greg partridge
Groupie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by Greg partridge » Sat, 16 Apr 2016, 02:42

I bought a LEAF! I Am now a two EV family with the Imiev.
Second hand from WA. Very happy indeed
Last edited by Greg partridge on Sat, 16 Apr 2016, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.

mikedufty
Groupie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by mikedufty » Sat, 16 Apr 2016, 07:05

Greg partridge wrote: Very happy undead

A zombie leaf?

Chuq
Groupie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by Chuq » Fri, 22 Apr 2016, 15:10

Greg partridge wrote: I bought a LEAF! I Am now a two EV family with the Imiev.
Second hand from WA. Very happy indeed

Congrats Greg!

Is your household completely ICE-free now?

My employer has just purchased a couple of Leafs so I imagine I will be getting more familiar with the car in the near future!

Greg partridge
Groupie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by Greg partridge » Fri, 22 Apr 2016, 15:22

We are about to sell a 12 month old Nissan Micra and then we will be solely electric and charging from our 5Kw solar array

KiegKhan
Groupie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by KiegKhan » Sat, 30 Jul 2016, 15:41

My employer is pretty keen on environmental initiatives so I checked out the Leaf. We have 30Kw solar with much production going to the GRID during the middle of the day. Our vehicle fleet also does many short range drives each day, <100km in most instances, so the Leaf looks compelling.
Unfortunately my local Nissan dealer cannot sell or service the Leaf, and the closest service is 100Km away. Looking at the service requirements it is pretty standard stuff, except for the battery check, so I don't understand why any Nissan dealer would not be able to service it.
Anyway, couldn't recommend it based on no ability to get it serviced locally. Can't recommend it to anyone else, really, based on this same reason. Ballarat is a pretty big town, so until Nissan can get all their dealers to be able to support this type of vehicle they are only going to be useful in the capital cities, or places where the Nissan dealer has made the commitment.
Leaf'n the ICE age behind

antiscab

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by antiscab » Sat, 30 Jul 2016, 17:27

servicing has always been a bit of a laughing point for me.

truth be told, you only have to worry about the tyres and brakes, and check the odd coolant level.
There's really nothing there otherwise

Matt
2008 Mazda 2 - EV Shop convert
2011 Blade Electron mk6
2007 vectrix - 117'000km
1993 Electrolux - needs batt and charger
1998 Prius - needs batt
1999 Prius - needs batt

jonescg

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by jonescg » Sat, 30 Jul 2016, 17:56

Yes the latest Horizons magazine (RAC of WA) listed the Leaf as needing a lot of expensive servicing... I have no idea what it would entail, but their numbers actually made it a more expensive car to own and run than an ICE car. Which is crazy, and incorrect!
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

KiegKhan
Groupie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by KiegKhan » Sat, 30 Jul 2016, 19:29

Apart from a battery replacement (who knows if that will actually be available in 5-10 years time), everything else is less than any ICE.
Tesla seems to have the right idea, starting from scratch they don't have a dealer service department like traditional car yards. Until they can change this service model the EV's will always lose out to the ICE from a dealer push perspective IMO.

Greg partridge
Groupie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by Greg partridge » Sun, 31 Jul 2016, 04:13

I got a quote for a 40,000 service for my LEAF on Friday ($321.00). When I asked what would be done in the service they said "I don't know ". I Checked the service manual and it was just a few inspections and a HV battery check. Looks like daylight robbery to me.

Rusdy
Groupie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by Rusdy » Mon, 01 Aug 2016, 16:34

Greg partridge wrote: I got a quote for a 40,000 service for my LEAF on Friday ($321.00). When I asked what would be done in the service they said "I don't know ". I Checked the service manual and it was just a few inspections and a HV battery check. Looks like daylight robbery to me.

This kind of service really discourage owners to do the right thing, really! I myself will never put my car back into service until there is a problem. Well, might be brake check when it hits 70,000km. It's 33,000km now with 10% brake pad wear.

KiegKhan
Groupie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by KiegKhan » Mon, 01 Aug 2016, 17:10

I think after the warranty expires I will be the same, but what is the risk of a warranty job and they knock you back because you did not do the service sschedule?

Johny

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by Johny » Mon, 01 Aug 2016, 17:30

It's difficult to pin this issue down on official Australia Consumer Law websites but Drive.com has done their best to clarify.
Home servicing is a grey area and you would have to prove (in the case of a warranty claim) that you were skilled enough to provide correct servicing - EV or not. Doing the book services on schedule would be a must if you hope to win a warranty claim. This is all court time as well.

Quotes from the article:

"The reality is that consumers have always had statutory rights under Australian law to ensure that their manufacturers’ warranties remain valid when the vehicles are serviced by independent workshops using fit for purpose parts and qualified technicians."

"Home mechanics should also take note of the fine print in their new car’s warranty. Many agreements specifically require qualified mechanics to perform maintenance work, and it is possible that anything more than topping up a car’s fluids could be doing more harm than good."

Source: http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/the- ... zvhwu.html

mikedufty
Groupie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by mikedufty » Mon, 01 Aug 2016, 17:53

From what I read they have to have a reasonable claim that the warranty issue would have been avoided or reduced if the the recommended service schedule was followed in order to reject a claim.
If you have to take them to court to insist on them allowing a claim you've already lost though.
I am not following the ridiculous 6 monthly service schedule for the 2010 i-MiEV. I figure it had already had late services before I got it, so there is not much to gain.

KiegKhan
Groupie

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by KiegKhan » Mon, 01 Aug 2016, 18:01

Hmm, wasn't really thinking about home servicing, more like not servicing annually rather than 6 monthly (after the warranty runs out).
Personally I have always gotten my cars serviced as per the manufacturers schedule, and at the dealership I purchased from (rural town so not much choice with the dealership).
But with the Leaf, it looks so ridiculously like the service is designed to prop up the service department, I think annual service would have been totally appropriate. In this modern age, they could easily send a message if something more urgent comes up, like a software upgrade.
Also, while I really wanted the Leaf, the closest service centre is 100Km away, so doing an annual service would make that easier for me, but 6 monthly until the warranty expires will be required. As the battery deteriorates that trip will get harder to do in a day. Getting the Leaf serviced 6 monthly does not appear to make the battery deteriorate any slower from what I can see.
Good article, though. Might see if other local mechanics are happy to do the mid year service and only go to Nissan for the battery check annual service.

Johny

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by Johny » Mon, 01 Aug 2016, 18:06

KiegKhan wrote:Might see if other local mechanics are happy to do the mid year service and only go to Nissan for the battery check annual service.
Check the service schedule and if there is nothing EV specific (or requiring special EV equipment) on every service then a regular mechanic should be fine to do those ones. If you have spare time (to specnd on the phone) you could try an d get some kind of verification from Nissan Australia that this is an OK way to go. Citing the difficult service requirement with distance of course.

rhills
Site Admin

I bought a ...... Leaf!

Post by rhills » Mon, 01 Aug 2016, 18:24

Choice also did an article on vehicle servicing and warranties. IIRC, their take was that you do need a qualified mechanic to do the servicing, but it doesn't have to be the vehicle manufacturer's dealership, it can be any qualified mechanic.

We have a friend who is a mechanic, whom we trust to charge fairly for his work and to tell us what he can and can't do. He'll be doing the routine servicing on our PHEV from now on.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Jul 2014 - Nov 2017
Total Petrol: 521.1L
ODO: 37347
Av Consumption: 1.40 L/100km