Home charging

Nissan EV Interest Group
Chris-in-Buccan
Noobie

Re: Home charging

Post by Chris-in-Buccan »

Hi Mike
We are thinking of buying a Leaf as a shopping basket to replace a V8 RR and at the same time put solar on the roof with extra capacity to charge the car. We have a standard outdoor 10amp power point in the car port and the plan was to use that to charge the EV in exactly the way you describe but the above comments seem to suggest something else is needed. We are kinda sorta retired os there is no urgency with anything and there is always the Defender tdi for cloudy days. Is your solar system working the same way as I am thinking ? Cheers Chris

EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

Hi Chris,
I own a Kona, drive about 100km/day, and have opted against any extra charger installation at my house.
My reasoning was, the Kona charges at about 15km/h, I'm at home at least 10 hours every night, that is 150km of range per day.
I also bought an EV for the fuel savings, so spending close to $2000 to install a 7kW charger for my driving is about 4 years of electricity, for someone driving the Australian average of 13'500km per year, $2000 is about 10 years of electricity...
So in my humble opinion, your 10A plug will do just fine. And if you are worried about the load (read the posts below about the wiring quality required), the Kona can be set at 6A, 8A or 10A charge rate.
The one advantage of installing a specific charger like the Zappi https://www.evolutionaustralia.com.au/p ... -or-type-2 is that the Zappi is a smart charger able to restrict the charge to ONLY use solar energy if you choose to. Using the 10A plug, it would be your job to set your car timer (or just plug your car) to charge when the sun is shining.
On a complete side note, if you are considering a new car, I suggest you drive the Hyundai Ionic as well as the Leaf. Very similar car with a bit more range and a better battery management system.
Cheers,
Patrick
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 10 Jan 2020 (127 days of ownership)
13'130km at an average speed of 47.2km/h
125Wh/km from new

brendon_m
Groupie

Post by brendon_m »

EVdownUnder wrote:
Tue, 14 Jan 2020, 18:44
and a better battery management system.
So what you're saying is that having a cooling system for a lithium battery which degrades faster with heat is better than stuffing it in a sealed metal box and hoping for the best?

EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

brendon_m wrote:
Tue, 14 Jan 2020, 19:06
EVdownUnder wrote:
Tue, 14 Jan 2020, 18:44
and a better battery management system.
So what you're saying is that having a cooling system for a lithium battery which degrades faster with heat is better than stuffing it in a sealed metal box and hoping for the best?
Not sure I understand what you are saying... I may have explained it the wrong way around (English is my second language). The battery in the Nissan Leaf as far as I know is still not actively cooled. Not the best for Australia. The Ionic is cooled and should last longer. Anything wrong in that statement?
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 10 Jan 2020 (127 days of ownership)
13'130km at an average speed of 47.2km/h
125Wh/km from new

brendon_m
Groupie

Post by brendon_m »

Im agreeing with you, I was being sarcastic (well not sarcastic but I can't think of the proper term, facetious maybe?).
Nissan are the only fools out there who don't do any sort of thermal management*
At the very least they could blow air on the cells. I don't know what possesses them to think they can get away with it, especially in a hot climate like a lot of Australia

*they do have heaters in the packs in really cold climates, but that's not really relevant in Australia

Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Hi there - my recommendations (as an electrician and EVSE installer/tinkerer) is I'd go with a Zappy or similar: in your situation, that would ensure you get the most out of solar charging and keep your EV to the min CO2-e possible.
Putting in dedicated EVSE with its heavy duty type 2 plug also avoids the usual pitfalls of the 3 pin plug and/or socket failing (which the regularly do when used for everyday EV charging). It also avoids the need to repack the portable EVSE and put it back in the boot. (You can bet on Murphy doing his job and your accidentally leaving it at home the one time you needed it for the emergency use it is intended for!)
BTW: a spare portable EVSE to keep at home plus a properly installed outlet for EV charging will be much the same price as putting in a proper fixed EVSE anyway!
Also - a fixed EVSE will last longer than any individual EV - so it's cost would be spread over the life of it, not the EV it was first installed for.

Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic Branch Secretary
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drives: Kona electric, 2001 Berlingo conversion
Selling: 2011 Leaf
Past drive: 2011 Blade Getz
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter

Chris-in-Buccan
Noobie

Post by Chris-in-Buccan »

Hi All

Thanks for the responses. Bryce if you are selling your Leaf what are you asking and what is the battery condition ? We are hoping to keep our investment limited to using only the charger that comes with the car and that powered by solar if I have to use timers or manual switching so be it.

We seldom go further than 45 kms from home and when we do we have the Defender at 10l/100kms which goes anywhere almost literally. Our target then is to find an EV with an operating range of say 100kms so if we buy one that is Australian delivered and is say around the $12k mark we can afford to add the $10k Nissan battery offer if need be down the track or pay more and have a better battery. Probably dreamin' but that's the thinking.

Please note we are in Brisbane not VIC so buying so far afield has an added possibly unnecessary transport cost, at least $500 towing with Defender plus all the x state nonsense all of which adds to the cost of something that we will use 3/4 times a week. Cheers Chris

Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Hi Chris-asking price, car details etc are all in EVNews ad. (Too much to retype here). Price obviously negotiable if you don’t want Vic rego, RWC, Zappy and BYO EVSE lead (as described in ad). Contact me through details in EVNews ad if intested. Cheers Bryce
AEVA Vic Branch Secretary
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drives: Kona electric, 2001 Berlingo conversion
Selling: 2011 Leaf
Past drive: 2011 Blade Getz
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter