New EV project

For Queensland Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
Electron
Groupie

New EV project

Post by Electron » Thu, 18 Mar 2010, 18:36

Had an interestering discussion last night about the 4WD EV conversion.
Firstly the vehicle will be built initally as a daily driver and when finished and tested, planning for a desert crossing for mid 2011 will begin.
The following basic decisions were made.
The series 11 landrover is suitable for the conversion, light weight and strong chassis, no vacuum brakes or demister.
Drive motor will be a 12kw series unit running on 144v. The motor will be fitted to the existing gearbox, the clutch will be retained as well as the rest of the transmission.
Batteries will initally be lead acid with the possibility of lithium in the future. battery boxes will be fitted on the outside of the chassis between the front and rear wheels and inside the chassis either side of the rear tailshaft. If necessary batteries could be mounted in the engine bay.
Battery charger will be on board, to allow for oppintunity charging.

The next stage is to source the electric motor and manufacture an adapator plate to fit the motor to the gear box.
Ron

dko
Noobie

New EV project

Post by dko » Fri, 19 Mar 2010, 01:36

Ron,
compliments for the positive meeting !
If you make a technical drawing for the adapter plate, I can make it.
I need a drawing in DWG or DXF format.
Ciao Stefano

Shaggy
Noobie

New EV project

Post by Shaggy » Fri, 19 Mar 2010, 20:45

Ron,
Thanks for your efforts on Wednesday night. Thanks also to everyone for their participation and comments on the build. There was a lot of good ideas and kind offers of help.
I'm still considering the generous offer of some help with using a suzuki gearbox for the build from Suzi Auto Services. Whilst there would be some fannying about with fitting, handbrake and speedo pickup, the weight saving (around 50kg) and the taller gearing of the suzuki box would be useful. Also the addapter plate and coupling are already there for the suzi box. The 11kw motor only spins to 2800revs and the standard gearbox has very short gearing. I'll keep you informed.
Ian

Electron
Groupie

New EV project

Post by Electron » Sun, 21 Mar 2010, 01:19

Ian
Are you sure on the motor revs? I would have expected a series motor to rev to 5000rpm.
Have you seen any rpm/torque/current graphs?
What RPM did the Landrover motor rev to?
Ron

Goombi

New EV project

Post by Goombi » Sun, 21 Mar 2010, 04:20

Hi Ian,
I bought my first L/Rover short w/b in 1955 the most speed i got was 45 Mile/h which equals 72-75 Km/h as i recall the motor was whistling at that speed. whats more had it gone any faster i would possibly not been able to control the car.I hope the converting your l/r is the correct and practical way and you though it out fully Good luck Eugen

Shaggy
Noobie

New EV project

Post by Shaggy » Sun, 21 Mar 2010, 05:19

Hi Ron,
I've just been to Solemn's site and entered the figures for a a series land rover suffix A for gearbox and transfer case. Have a look and let me know what you think. I'm not planning on racing anywhere but 80kph for a shot time might be nice.
Ian

Goombi

New EV project

Post by Goombi » Sun, 21 Mar 2010, 19:58

On e-bay electric Matise for sale in cubulture 1000$
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Daewoo-Matiz-12- ... 2c53955e4a

Electron
Groupie

New EV project

Post by Electron » Sun, 21 Mar 2010, 22:33

Ian
Had a look at the site. Yes you need a motor that does more than 2800rpm.
5000rpm would be best, closer to the original motor RPM
Ron

Shaggy
Noobie

New EV project

Post by Shaggy » Tue, 23 Mar 2010, 17:47

Thanks Stephano, once we finalise the choice of motor we would like to take you up on that offer.
Ian

Shaggy
Noobie

New EV project

Post by Shaggy » Tue, 23 Mar 2010, 17:50

Goombi
Thanks for all of your help so far but I think we are going to need to go with another motor for this project. If anything changes we will let you know.
Ian

Goombi

New EV project

Post by Goombi » Tue, 23 Mar 2010, 21:12

Hi Ian Thanks for letting me know, See you possibly at next meeting Cheers Eugen
Perhaps this web may help a little http://www.driveev.com/jeepev/home.phphttp://www.driveev.com/jeepev/home.php
Last edited by Goombi on Sun, 28 Mar 2010, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

dko
Noobie

New EV project

Post by dko » Sun, 02 May 2010, 00:49

Hi Ron,
hope all is well!
Do you have something new about the EV Land project ?
Thanks Stefano

Adverse
Noobie

New EV project

Post by Adverse » Thu, 27 May 2010, 00:28

Shaggy wrote: Goombi
Thanks for all of your help so far but I think we are going to need to go with another motor for this project. If anything changes we will let you know.
Ian

you know there is a way to save about 400Kg or even more of steel (gearbox , 2 diff setups , 2 tail shafts , oils , CV's)

but it will take some engineering to do it

you could remove all the gearboxes and diffs

replace the rear diff with a light beam axle and the front with a lighter truck beam and king pin axle then run 4 X wheel motors, all controlled with separate controllers all reporting back to a central computer

that way the computer can tell a wheel that has lost traction to reduce driving force to say 5% till it gets traction again and stops spinning/slipping

this will save power loss not to mention act as traction control

not to mention when you are on the road you can just put power to only 2 wheels and let the other 2 freewheel

this may all be to much work for you guys to do but it would be a better way to do it

PS:- sorry to but in Image as i am a noob on these forums but have about 20+ years worth of mechanical experience on anything from go karts , formula V , custom car and truck modifications to building building a Lotus7 clone for a friend from the ground up this is not my site but its the same type of car
and i tend to think out side the box Image

suziauto
Groupie

New EV project

Post by suziauto » Sat, 29 May 2010, 17:17

expanding on adverse's idea.. maybe wheel motors derived from fisher and paykel smart drive washing machines inside the wheel rim? it would need to be rebuilt onto stronger framework maybe.. and then reverse them to make power when rolling or braking......they make good windmill generators
Last edited by suziauto on Sat, 29 May 2010, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

Shaggy
Noobie

New EV project

Post by Shaggy » Tue, 06 Jul 2010, 17:24

The Motor arrived last week, it's a FB1-4001A. Now to the adaptor plate. I looked at the plate and coupling manufactured by Canadian Electric Vehicles but their picture shows a different bellhousing to the one I have so I am sending them a tracing to see if my bellhousing will fit. I'm not feeling too optomistic about it.
Stefano generously offered to manufacture an adaptor plate but needs a drawing in DWG or DXF format. Does anyone know where to even start with that? This would still require the manufacture of a motor coupling.

Looking at controllers, the origional suggestion was the Curtis 1321C but a what about the ZEVA MC600S? Any thoughts Ron?

dko
Noobie

New EV project

Post by dko » Tue, 06 Jul 2010, 22:08

Hi Ron,
I am at disposal to manufacture the adapter plate !
As soon I receive the drawing, I'll produce it.
Ciao Stefano

dko
Noobie

New EV project

Post by dko » Sat, 13 Nov 2010, 10:34

Hi people .... any progress about the new project LR electric ?
Ciao Stefano

dko
Noobie

New EV project

Post by dko » Sat, 07 Apr 2012, 07:37

Hi,
what do you think about this Land conversion :

http://www.axeon.com/News-and-Events/Ne ... ender.aspx

Goombi

New EV project

Post by Goombi » Sat, 07 Apr 2012, 15:57

Hi everyone DKO I thought you would have already finished your land Rover and went four wheel driving to Birdsville. In my opimiuon Don't do the conversion with land rover. LR has been converted from Nuffield tractor for war wehicle. One nice vehicle was built in gympie was PYZAR. perfect car --el. windows modern suspention Manual steering and its a 2001 model. lovely car to drive easy to assemble gearbox is smooth and the cost was average what one would expect for Home made conversion Even Brumby ute is a far superior car   for conversion to LR.

No hard feelings friend but you are on a wrong track In order to have a sucessful EV one has to choose the possible lightest car. SMART Mercedes will be good to convert with a blown motor? Very easy job semi auto gearbox 12 volt operated and assisted steering also with el pump. If I was doing my third conbversion that would be the car.. Smart choice Regards Eugen

Shaggy
Noobie

New EV project

Post by Shaggy » Thu, 12 Apr 2012, 21:05

Hi Eugen thanks for your honest opinion. You are absolutely correct about the choice of vehicle but the idea behind this build is not actually to build the perfect electric vehicle but rather just to have some fun with what I think will turn out to be an interesting vehicle. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say Image
The electric Land Rover conversion has started although it has not progressed as fast as I might have liked. I Gained a Board position as well as my day job and I found that between both jobs I didn't have much time left for the car and young family and house and garden...... The good news is I now have more time for the electric land rover so I should start to make more substantial progress soon.
I am planning on launching a blog soon outlining the progress of the build. It will be more of a car restoration blog that just so happens to be an electric vehicle build also. The fact that it is a total vehicle rebuild also explains why the project has been taking so long.
Thanks DKO for the offer but I already have the motor mounted to the gearbox with an adaptor and coupling I bought from Canadian electric vehicles. The plate was about 20mm too thin so I had to have a very large spacer made but that is a whole other story.
Hope to see you at the next meeting in Brisbane Eugen.
Ian

dko
Noobie

New EV project

Post by dko » Thu, 12 Apr 2012, 23:43

Jan, thanks for the clear anwer.
I agree with you about the electric LR !
Anyway I remain at your disposal for everything
you need of mechanical parts.
Regards from Italy.
Stefano

Jeff Owen
Groupie

New EV project

Post by Jeff Owen » Mon, 16 Apr 2012, 16:13

Shaggy
The motor gearbox assembly would make a great show and tell item for the Brisbane branch meeting on Wednesday night.

Shaggy
Noobie

New EV project

Post by Shaggy » Fri, 07 Sep 2012, 02:09

Hi Guys,
Can anyone suggest a good fabricator to weld some engine mounts and battery packs? I spoke with David of DB Autotech and the guy he used doesn't do it any more.
Thanks
Ian
I hope to make it to the meeting this month.