New EV project

For Queensland Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
Electron
Groupie

New EV project

Post by Electron » Fri, 22 Jan 2010, 18:16

Further to my comments at the last meeting I put up the following EV project.

Design a vehicle that will carry 2 passengers, their camping gear, food and water across the Simpson Desert from Mt Dare in NT to Birdsville in QLD, a distance of @300kms.

Lets break it down into 4 simple steps and discuss each step at different meetings.

1 which vehicle

2 what motor, controller and drive system

3 what batteries, charger and management system

4 what auxiliaries, vacuum, heater, interlocks

I am happy to run the project and post reminders before meetings and outcomes after the meetings.

The reason I picked a 4WD and a desert crossing, is that it is a little out of the box and to prove that EVs aren't necessary limited to a commuter role.

Any comments
Ron

Shaggy
Noobie

New EV project

Post by Shaggy » Fri, 29 Jan 2010, 07:07

Hi Ron, Have you seen this series on you tube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSV_46y6ufs
On further investigation I found the guys from EV parts had more info here:
http://www.evparts.com/galleries_zoom.p ... ERIESTAG=2
You can follow the link to the "Land Rover face off" page(electric v's gas) That is about as much info as I could find on it.
I have the same model Land Rover in the garage that I have disassembled with a view to convert to electric. In standard trim it weighs 1340kg dripping wet with a GVM of 2019. A similar conversion to the electric land rover comes in around around 1600kg. That is a lot of weight to push down a sandy track.
It is going to take a lot of energy to push any electric car through sandy tracks isn't it?
A Suzuki Sierra? Does it have to be 4WD?
What about the GVM of a beach buggy (don't laugh I'm serious). They are very light weight aren't they? Floor pan of a VW beetle with an oversized fibreglass bathtub where the driver and passenger sit. There is one on evalbum.com

Electron
Groupie

New EV project

Post by Electron » Fri, 29 Jan 2010, 18:09

I have seen info on the EV parts electric Land Rover.
I was thinking of a Suzuki or simular sized SWB 4WD vehicle. You really need 4WD in the desert, I have already done a couple of crossings in petrol 4WD vehicles. Weight is not realy and issue, wide tyres and low pressures makes it easier to travel over the sand, it is not a fast trip either, you would be flat out exceeding 30kph when in the desert.

Why not offer your Land Rover as the vehicle to base the design on? Then if your are ready, do the conversion and even drive the Simpson.

Ron

Shaggy
Noobie

New EV project

Post by Shaggy » Sat, 30 Jan 2010, 17:03

Sounds like a plan Ron. If no one comes up with a better idea, i'll bring the specs of the vehicle to the next meeting and we can start talking about the configuration.

Electron
Groupie

New EV project

Post by Electron » Tue, 16 Feb 2010, 02:00

Looks like they have planned something for the February meeting, will have to leave our project to another meeting.
Ron

mcudogs
Groupie

New EV project

Post by mcudogs » Wed, 17 Feb 2010, 00:42

Ron,

You have got me interested now. I will be finished my conversion in a few weeks and I would hate to have any spare time.Image

If we get time tomorrow night we can start talking about it.

Don

Shaggy
Noobie

New EV project

Post by Shaggy » Wed, 17 Feb 2010, 02:31

Thanks Ron, I've been thinking about the possibilities since you mentioned the idea and am quite excited about it. I would love to catch up with you about it sometime tomorrow night.
Ian

Shaggy
Noobie

New EV project

Post by Shaggy » Thu, 25 Feb 2010, 05:20

Are you still keen to run this project Ron? Do you (or anyone else) think we can get it up and running at the next meeting? I'm still eager to use my vehicle as a project for the Simpson Desert trip.

Thalass

New EV project

Post by Thalass » Thu, 25 Feb 2010, 09:57

Oh good. Someone else can prove that a 4WD EV is viable. I don't think I'll be able to do my brumby conversion, due to time and money constraints (moving to Canada in a few years - and by the time I can afford to do the conversion I'd probably only drive the car for a year before having to sell it.) so it'll be good to see someone do it.

If you're really keen you could do an electric version of Brumbyrunner's racing brumby! That'd be awesome.

Man, 300km in the dessert is going to be alot of energy. Probably triple what you'd expect on the road, if not more. You'd going to want a pretty good generator. That'd still be more efficient than a regular 4WD, I'd argue.
Last edited by Thalass on Wed, 24 Feb 2010, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

Electron
Groupie

New EV project

Post by Electron » Fri, 26 Feb 2010, 16:48

Shaggy
I am still keen to run the project. If they don,t plan anythink special we can make a start at the next meeting.
I had a long discussion with a couple of other members after last meeting and we threw a few ideas around.
Ron

Electron
Groupie

New EV project

Post by Electron » Fri, 26 Feb 2010, 17:32

You will be suprised at how little energy will be needed, average speed will only be @30kph, just idleing along in low range won't use much. Also there will be another vehicle in front smoothing the way and going west to east is the easist way.
If we can load it up with a set of lithiums giving a range of 300kms, backed up with solar panels and a charge at night if need be, there should be no problems with making it across.
After all if you can drive from Darwin to Adelaide on solar alone, what's that different with a desert crossing.
Ron

Tritium_James

New EV project

Post by Tritium_James » Fri, 26 Feb 2010, 17:58

Electron wrote:After all if you can drive from Darwin to Adelaide on solar alone, what's that different with a desert crossing.Ron
The difference is a nice smooth road and a lightweight (<180kg) custom super-streamlined vehicle! Those solarcars are using something like 2kW to do 110km/h, ie 18Wh/km. At least 10x less than I'd expect a heavy vehicle driving in sand to use...

Having said that, I reckon it's do-able if you keep the speed down, but you might need a few hours charging stop in the middle of the day. You'll be limited by the amount of solar you can fit on the top of the vehicle, same as the solarcars are. I don't expect you'll be buying $1M worth of 32% space-grade cells though, so you'll have less power coming in than they do!

Goombi

New EV project

Post by Goombi » Mon, 08 Mar 2010, 00:25

I will support you all My brumby will make it in one run but at only 45-50 Km/h but non stop with a help of a inverter charger..IAM CONVINCED IT WILL I have a good chance winning the run.. can we wait till after the flods?
I wouold hate to tow a tinny behind me keep it up
Cheers

dko
Noobie

New EV project

Post by dko » Mon, 08 Mar 2010, 09:55

Hi Electron and Schaggy,
I am very interested to partecipate at the E-Land Rover project.
I use to cross the Sahara desert(W.Africa) with Hummer H2.
My dreem is to cross it with an electric 4x4, but no e-4x4
project in Europe !
At your disposal fom the other side of the globe !!!
Ciao from Italy
Stefano

dko
Noobie

New EV project

Post by dko » Mon, 15 Mar 2010, 13:17

Hi Ron,
I hope the e-4x4 project is going on !
Ciao Stefano

Electron
Groupie

New EV project

Post by Electron » Tue, 16 Mar 2010, 02:06

At next Wednesday night's meeting we need to start some planning and design of the 4WD EV. We have a donor vehicle. We need to make some basic decisions like motor location, battery location and performance requirements.
Ron

mcudogs
Groupie

New EV project

Post by mcudogs » Tue, 16 Mar 2010, 02:25

Shaggy, what make and model is your 4WD?

Shaggy
Noobie

New EV project

Post by Shaggy » Tue, 16 Mar 2010, 02:41

Hi Don,
The vehicle is a 1971 series IIA Land Rover. It is the same as Lectro Rover or this one on roverhaul.
Do you want any other specs before Wednesday?
Ian

Electron
Groupie

New EV project

Post by Electron » Tue, 16 Mar 2010, 02:44

Ian
Some photos would be nice. Do you have a workshop manual?
Ron

dko
Noobie

New EV project

Post by dko » Tue, 16 Mar 2010, 02:58

I am at disposal of the e-project to manufacture the mechanical components, obviously all free of charge !
We use to make mec.parts for Ferrari and Maserati company.

mcudogs
Groupie

New EV project

Post by mcudogs » Tue, 16 Mar 2010, 03:04

dko

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your generous offer. We will keep you informed.

Don

Goombi

New EV project

Post by Goombi » Tue, 16 Mar 2010, 03:09

I'll come on Wednesday without my Brumby uteGympie is a bit far for me and back but its not 4x4 but 2x4 i have removed the diff- CV joints and support bridge and welded the geatbox where the tailshaft went I will bring my laptop to show Are we talking 4x4 from the start or 4x4 conversion?

dko
Noobie

New EV project

Post by dko » Tue, 16 Mar 2010, 03:11

Don,
thanks for the welcome, I am anxious to help the project !
Stefano

Shaggy
Noobie

New EV project

Post by Shaggy » Tue, 16 Mar 2010, 03:14

Hey Ron,
I have a workshop manual which has some nice diagrams of the chassis. It also has all the specs for gearbox and diff ratios etc. I don't have any photos to post at the moment but maybe I can get some A3 size photocopies of the chassis and dimensions for Wednesday night. It is an identical vehicle to the ones in the links posted. Roverhaul has the best photos of the vehicle stripped down if you want a better idea before Wednesday. My vehicle is currently stripped to the bare chassis so I could replace the rear cross member and repaint. That should all be finished in about three weeks. You are welcome to come over anytime after hours for a look. I am at Everton Park.
Ian

Electron
Groupie

New EV project

Post by Electron » Wed, 17 Mar 2010, 01:45

Ian
That will be ok. See you on Wednesday night.
I am at Stafford Hts.
Ron