East Gippsland light electric vehicle builders?

From go-karts and bicycles to electric eskies and kids scooters.
Chrustie
Noobie

East Gippsland light electric vehicle builders?

Post by Chrustie »

Hi - I am an age pensioner whom locals and travellers would have encountered on the highways between Buchan, Bairnsdale, Metung and Orbost once or twice a month. I ride a variety of electric bikes and trikes. Small, light, cheapish and utilitarian is my motto.
There's a 24V Cyclone trike with a measly 200w motor and disk brakes on three wheels which often does the round trip of about 300km on a set of 4x20a/h batteries and a fair bit of pedaling. I leave home fully solar charged, and recharge twice on overnight stops at friend's houses.
There's a lovely old Green Speed trike with a new Bafang kit set to 350W which pulls a trailer for shopping and camping gear when the Cyclone is having a rest. This is the powerhouse in my stable and gets up any hill on which the back wheel can get traction. That's in the first of eight gears in the Shimano hub.
And then there is the Aseako Compy with a 250W motor which has pulled a trailer with a solar panel for recharging the 10a/h batteries for over a thousand km on a couple of trips. This is the back road rig where there are no power points for up to 150km between recharges.
I sometimes go to town (200km return) on the bus, which only gives me a little less than 4 hours there for shopping and appointments, etc. The bus driver allows me to take my little e-motor bike/mobility vehicle on the bus, and a little trailer for my shopping. I call it the Baah because it's barely as powerful as a lamb, having only 200w at 24v and driving through a little Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub without any pedals at all. I built this from a very old Oz-made folding bicycle called a Dingo.
I would like to build a new, faster utility vehicle using no more than a 1000w brushless motor and a three speed gear box which I already have. I hope to attain over 60kph cruising speed and by pass the registration requirements initially by calling it a mobility vehicle (recumbent for low wind drag, which is the greatest enemy of speed) and running on my existing battery supply (24V or 36V) through a light motorcycle wheel / fork on the rear. Bike parts are just a bit too fragile at that speed and loading, I feel.
I am looking for some other local enthusiatst in the Buchan / Bairnsdale / Orbost area who are interested in similar projects. I am also looking for old, cheap bike frames / wheels in the district. Any takers - love to hear from you!
Chrustie