Trike Recumbent

From go-karts and bicycles to electric eskies and kids scooters.
glenn_aircooled
Groupie

Trike Recumbent

Post by glenn_aircooled »

I finally got my Recumbent trike.

This is promo picture - mine has silver Cranks and Larger rear wheel / and Because I live in Miller [ home of the powered bicycle multiple fatalities ] mine has Lights / Reflectors / Flag with Reflective Tape all up it / Helmut wearing rider

but at this stage no motor.
Cheers , Glenn... I am working toward that happy " I never stop at Petrol Stations " feeling    :)
glenn_aircooled
Groupie

Trike Recumbent

Post by glenn_aircooled »

I spent a lot on the donor vehicle, so will have to save up to proceed with motor project.

In the mean time, I have discovered that Trike riding is a little harder than standard bike but Far More comfortable. I Love riding it and Im getting better at it.
You can really feel the lower wind resistance but up hills , the heavy weight just bogs you down.
Am working out the ideal Commute to work route, its a little annoying with the many stop starts but It actually is shorter distance than Driving and mostly on deserted back roads and Cycleways.
Cheers , Glenn... I am working toward that happy " I never stop at Petrol Stations " feeling    :)
offgridQLD

Trike Recumbent

Post by offgridQLD »

Recumbent Trikes make great platforms for electric conversions. I have a terra trike model that I picked up a few years back. I started out with a 2kg - 6kw RC outrunner motor through a custom made toothed belt reduction drive, slipper clutch and sprag freewheel through a jack shaft and another carbon toothed belt to the rear hub.

Will post some pics if you like.

I then purchased a planetary geared rear hub motor for my wife's folding bike but after lacing it into a wheel I tested it on my trike and she didn't get it back for over a year. Image

For a pure adrenalin rush and sexy engineering the RC out runner motor is great(atualy put it back on the trike last weekend) was a buzz to ride after so long.

For a day to day commuter I recommend a planetary geared hub. The big advantage of a geared hub is the free wheeling. Unlike a direct drive hub where you have to fight the cogging of the motor.

Trikes are harder up steep hills as you use a different muscle group. Not as street friendly in congested areas, footpaths and so on.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Mon, 21 Oct 2013, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
85turbo
Groupie

Trike Recumbent

Post by 85turbo »

i too have a recumbent trike !
and i regularly ride through miller on my work commute too !
Meryrlands to prestons for work...

i have a 1000w Geared hub motor running 12S lipo (50V fresh off the charger) the trike is so much fun, that it feels like it should be illegal :)

ill post up a few pictures of my setup...
i have lights, flag reflectors etc. cant miss me at night. im light up like a truck....

i have dynamo driven headlight and tail light that run all the time even in daylight hours, and i have a helmet mounted blinker in the day too. plus 2000 lumens up front for those darker parts of the cycleway near prospect....

Jason.
Last edited by 85turbo on Sat, 26 Oct 2013, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.