Electric mower review: Makita

From go-karts and bicycles to electric eskies and kids scooters.
Bryce

Electric mower review: Makita

Post by Bryce »

Hi all - it seems that finally electric mowers have come of age. Have been waiting quite a while, but the reviews of the new Makita 36V 460mm series suggested it might be time to give up the Aldi stop-gap petrol mower and take the plunge. (My old Victa karked it 3 years ago and battery electric mowers were all dinky-toys then so stooped to buying an Aldi product. Cheap sh!t mower, but it did the job. Am getting sick of fixing it though).

Am happy to report the Makita (model DLM461PG2) works brilliantly - did all my (large and overgrown) back lawn, plus front lawn, plus 3 nature strips in the street, and started on another lawn before the 2 x 6Ah batteries finally went flat. (About 1.5hrs worth). Probably around 600 - 700m2 all up. Would probably have done the lot if the back yard had not been so overgrown!

Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic vice-chair
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drive: Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
brendon_m

Re: Electric mower review: Makita

Post by brendon_m »

I've been running one of the dinky toy ozito 240V electric mowers for the last few years. I picked it up off curbside "bring out your dead" and it's been the best mower I ever had. Nice and quiet and I never had trouble starting it :D.

Unfortunately it finally died a few weeks ago (the bearing that supports the blades seized and melted the plastic frame). Now I'm in the market for a battery one though I'll probably go ryobi as that's what I have batteries for and I see bunnings have now released a brushless dual 18V one.
HuffnPuff
Groupie

Post by HuffnPuff »

I’ve been using a dinky 36v Ryobi for a few years too. 5ah does whole yard, about 250m2 of lawn. It does require 2 cuts if the grass is 3/4 the way up the wheels.
Unfortunately the big battery is toast and the 2.6ah I have aren’t enough for the lot. I don’t need and upgrade, but I think I need an upgrade. Brushless seem to be the go.
sleeperpservice
Noobie

Post by sleeperpservice »

Had a 36V Ryobi for 6years after being sick of old pull starts doing my head in and its been brilliant. The 2.6Ah pack still does our lawn twice over but does struggle a bit on longer grass and I have to line up half the mower.

Had too fire up the whipper snipper at the in-laws the other day after a long time, shredded skin of my fingers and reminded me of the trouble free bliss. Had to park the Ioniq in the servo to fill up the jerry can which felt weird.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Can relate to that weird feeling filling up a jerry can pulled out from the back of an electric car at the servo!

Two more petrol tools to go before that happens for me though: a 35 yo brushcutter and a 2 yo chainsaw. (Given the current chainsaw replaced a 35 yo chainsaw, the latter might need to replaced before it wears out if petrol goes the way of the dinosaur ... ;-) )

Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic vice-chair
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drive: Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter