Zero Turn Mower Conversion

AC, DC, amps, volts and kilowatt. It's all discussed in here
Johnl77
Noobie

Zero Turn Mower Conversion

Post by Johnl77 »

I hope to convert my 500 kg Wright 48" Zero Turn Mower to electric power. It has a 21 HP Kawasaki engine driving Hydro Gear pumps and wheel motors and belt driven blades. The plan is to just replace the ICE with a 48V system and leave the hydraulics and belts intact. I have no conversion experience and would appreciate any comments on my thoughts.

1. The environment is very dirty so I think a sealed motor is necessary. (The cooling fins on the ICE get clogged with grass, etc.)

2. An hydraulic oil cooled motor would be simplest as an hydraulic oil cooler already exits. (My understanding is that oil cooling, while not quite as efficient as water / glycol, can be reasonably effective?)

3. I don't need reverse capability and can't use regenerative braking, so a DC motor first seemed appropriate. However, most of what I read suggests BLDC is now usually best?

4. I'm currently looking at the Motenergy ME1304 and the 10kW Golden motor. There may be other appropriate motors I'm not aware of?

5. I'm not sure if the ME1304 or the 10kW Golden will provide the performance similar to the 21HP ICE?

6. I typically only mow for an hour at a time and hope to need relatively modest battery storage.

Any comments or advice with be much appreciated.
John
Richo

Re: Zero Turn Mower Conversion

Post by Richo »

21HP (15kW) obviously is not used continuously in reality.
Otherwise for an hour mow you would use 15kWh of battery capacity.
That's a modest $7,500 battery pack...

It maybe easier to work out how much petrol you use for a mow and try to convert that into a battery capacity.
This would also give your average continuous power use to work out motor sizing.

The ME1304 definitely would cope with the demand since it is an equivalent.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
Richo

Re: Zero Turn Mower Conversion

Post by Richo »

Long time viewer first time poster?!?

Welcome John - even if it's 3 years late :D
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!