Where do I start researching motors for a DIY Quad conversion?

AC, DC, amps, volts and kilowatt. It's all discussed in here
Izabarack
Noobie

Where do I start researching motors for a DIY Quad conversion?

Post by Izabarack » Sun, 22 Jul 2018, 17:28

Very new here, asking for pointers on where to start researching for a motor for a DIY Quad conversion.

I have been given a Chinese made quad that has a non-functioning petrol motor at present. Gearbox and drive train seem to be in good condition but the 125 CC four stroke end is suffering from the repeated attention from a Numpty with few mechanical skills. I love my step grandson to bits but using a whole roll of teflon plumbing tape trying to get a spark plug to seal in a stripped alloy head has not worked for him. That is only one example of his mechanical skill set. On the other hand, he is a wonderfully competent head chef at a local sports club.

I am wondering if electrifying the quad is feasible. Current gearbox has one reverse gear and three forward. Final drive ratio is easily changed by bolting on a different cog. I'm so new to this that I have not even worked out if I need a gearbox and could go direct drive to the chain. I am not interested in speed and the quad would live on a small acreage bock. I do like the idea of a reverse gear. I need to weigh the quad but expect the mass to come in around the 95Kg mark. A little more than half that is unsprung. Petrol motor components will probably yield a weight saving of about 10Kg. Currently running a ruler over things and working out what volume would be available for a LiFePo4 battery bank.

The thread title tells where I am now. I have read very little of the forum yet and would appreciate a couple of pointers towards motor suppliers.

Iza

brendon_m
Groupie

Re: Where do I start researching motors for a DIY Quad conversion?

Post by brendon_m » Sun, 22 Jul 2018, 18:50

There is a lot of people here with more experience than me but here is my 2 cents.
It really depends on budget but on the cheaper side of things I'd suggest looking for an old golf cart dc motor assembly. Get the controller and everything if you can (maybe hit up a golf club and see if they have any carts with dead batteries and a rusted frame) , modify to fit with a chain/cog etc. Throw in some batteries and away you go. Might be too big for you application but best part is they are mostly 36v/ 48v so you can get premade battery packs that'll drop in without too much hassle.

Otherwise bldc/pmac motors are plentiful at the lower end of the power spectrum. You might even get away with a pushbike conversion kit but you'll probably need to do the maths on gear ratios etc.
You won't need to keep the gearbox for reverse in most cases especially with ac/bldc motors as reverse is usually just a toggle switch away

Izabarack
Noobie

Re: Where do I start researching motors for a DIY Quad conversion?

Post by Izabarack » Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 09:36

brendon_m wrote:
Sun, 22 Jul 2018, 18:50
.... here is my 2 cents.
Thanks. The golf cart idea breaks me out of some rigid ideas of what to do. I have a mate who has a golf cart so will visit him for a look at the drive system in that cart.

Batteries are going to be LiFePo4 built from discrete cells. I have just put a battery together for the Campervan and am doing some testing on that item now. The battery is 12 Volt but scaleable to 48 Volt pretty easily.

Iza