Something is overheating?

AC, DC, amps, volts and kilowatt. It's all discussed in here
Post Reply
Paul9
Groupie
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon, 20 Apr 2009, 02:10
Real Name: Paul Coggiola
Location: Sydney

Something is overheating?

Post by Paul9 » Fri, 20 Nov 2015, 14:22

Hi people,

I struck a problem the other day which I have not struck before. I was doing a 45km trip to friends on the north shore of Sydney on a very hot day. The temp when I was driving was about 38 degrees. I got about half way there in stop-start traffic and moved off the mark and the car just moved at about walking pace for about 30 secs even though I had the accelerator half way to the floor. It then accelerated quickly to the next set of lights. It then repeated the "process" every time the car stopped for the next 10kms.

I checked my pack voltage when the car moved very slowly (despite my foot being half way to the floor) and it read 110 to 112v. This is the voltage I would expect from the car moving slowly when my foot was just touching the accelerator. In other words the voltage was in proportion to the speed of the car but not in proportion to how far I had the accelerator depressed.

At the 35km mark of the trip I heard a faint click and the car rolled to a stop. Luckily I had taken a back road and could get off the road to check things out. Everything under the bonnet was super hot including the charger and the converter which I had not been using. I turned everything off and waited 10 minutes. I turned things back on and the car worked fine! It went reasonably well for the next 10kms with only occasional hesitation.

I arrived at my destination and parked in an underground carpark. 4 hours later a cool change had moved through Sydney and at 9pm the temp was 20 degrees rather than the 38 degrees during the day. With much trepidation I drove 45kms home without a single problem! The car worked perfectly!

I suppose my question is: could this be the controller overheating? I am pushing up to 113v dc through my 96v controller but have attached 3 small heat sinks to the controller in an attempt to eliminate a possible overheating situation. Maybe I need to attach a couple of fans to the controller as well?

Maybe it isn't the controller? Could the symptoms I describe be caused by something else?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Paul


User avatar
evric
Site Admin
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun, 20 Jul 2008, 01:57
Real Name: Eric
Location: Adelaide SA
Contact:

Something is overheating?

Post by evric » Fri, 20 Nov 2015, 14:49

Which controller are you using?
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au

Paul9
Groupie
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon, 20 Apr 2009, 02:10
Real Name: Paul Coggiola
Location: Sydney

Something is overheating?

Post by Paul9 » Fri, 20 Nov 2015, 15:08

Thanks evric

The controller is part of the 96v "Goombi" kit which I purchased back in 2009. The paperwork just says 96v 300amp controller.

Sorry I can't give you any more info.
Cheers
Paul

User avatar
evric
Site Admin
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun, 20 Jul 2008, 01:57
Real Name: Eric
Location: Adelaide SA
Contact:

Something is overheating?

Post by evric » Fri, 20 Nov 2015, 15:18

The controller is probably the main culprit. They are normally designed to start shutting down as the temperature starts getting up.Powerful external fans will help that. Also on a long trip the motor will be getting VERY hot as well it's good to have a powerful fan pointing into the commutator section of the motor. I have both of these components with fans on them after they both over heated - particularly after long trips.
Eric
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au

Paul9
Groupie
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon, 20 Apr 2009, 02:10
Real Name: Paul Coggiola
Location: Sydney

Something is overheating?

Post by Paul9 » Fri, 20 Nov 2015, 15:27

Thanks a lot Eric.

Even though the controller is nominally 96v, the Aust distributor advised it would handle up to 120v but of course would not be under warranty. I have been running it at up to 113v.

The "high" voltage plus the very hot day plus the long trip may have been enough to overheat it.

I will definitely take your advice and install some fans.

Thanks again,
Paul

Post Reply