Junkyard motors parade

AC, DC, amps, volts and kilowatt. It's all discussed in here
peskanov
Groupie

Junkyard motors parade

Post by peskanov » Tue, 22 Mar 2016, 12:21

Thanks Johny! I think this is one of those lessons, get sure you have enough cooling before every component is in place. Now it will be hell to access the motor.

In fact, I think I should contribute to the thread "Some don't for EV building". I have a lot of them, I commited so many errors! :D

Johny

Junkyard motors parade

Post by Johny » Tue, 22 Mar 2016, 13:44

peskanov wrote: Thanks Johny! I think this is one of those lessons, get sure you have enough cooling before every component is in place. Now it will be hell to access the motor.

In fact, I think I should contribute to the thread "Some don't for EV building". I have a lot of them, I commited so many errors! :D
There can't be too many - it MOVES!
Did you leave the fan housing on the motor or remove it to get it shorter?

Edit: many not may
Last edited by Johny on Tue, 22 Mar 2016, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.

peskanov
Groupie

Junkyard motors parade

Post by peskanov » Tue, 22 Mar 2016, 14:22

I will upload some pics of the conversion (hopefully soon), so everybody will see the kind of hacks we made in this conversion. Hacks is the precise word, for many of them :D

Thanks to one of those "hacks", we fitted the motor with original fan and housing, plus an encoder protruding a few cms out of it.

Johny

Junkyard motors parade

Post by Johny » Tue, 22 Mar 2016, 14:27

peskanov wrote: I will upload some pics of the conversion (hopefully soon), so everybody will see the kind of hacks we made in this conversion. Hacks is the precise word, for many of them :D

Thanks to one of those "hacks", we fitted the motor with original fan and housing, plus an encoder protruding a few cms out of it.
Please do. You never know - someone might be able to suggest an entertaining way of force cooling the motor without you having to rip it all apart.

peskanov
Groupie

Junkyard motors parade

Post by peskanov » Sat, 26 Mar 2016, 03:12

Good news: the motor seems to keep cool enough with the original fan (at modest speeds). We will see if it still works that way in summer.

And now the bad news; I dismissed that old "don't" on EV conversions: I bought the batteries to soon. One of them died the fist year (these are very low quality AGM, cheapest I could find); the plastic box was low quality and cracked under pressure (VRLA), slowly pouring a lot of acid.

Riding the car I found 2 more of them dead, one of them going from 12V to 7V, and the other one right to 0V!

On the good side, I found another EV conversion in my country, and it seems to be legal:

http://elektrun.com/elektrun-english-blog/

Who knows, maybe some day I will be able to legalize my conversion!
Last edited by coulomb on Sat, 26 Mar 2016, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

EV2Go

Junkyard motors parade

Post by EV2Go » Sat, 26 Mar 2016, 06:16

Didn't understand a lot of the thread (I'm not electrically inclined) but was good to see the effort was worth it in the end.