Timh's 1965 Mk1 Cortina project

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
TimH
Noobie

Timh's 1965 Mk1 Cortina project

Post by TimH »

Hi all

I picked up a written off Mitsubishi i-Miev and plan on transplanting all the running gear, batteries, air-con etc into my 1965 Mk1 Cortina 440.

I'll post some pics of the progress here. I welcome any advice as i'm new to all this. Fortunately have had some great help so far from members here in Brisbane.

Here's some details on my plans. The i-miev motor seems to be a good match for the Cortina:

At this stage planning to remove the reduction gear and mount the i-miev motor to the 4 speed gearbox of the Cortina. Have contemplated trying to find a combo that could enable direct drive, but not convinced about that yet, obviously keeping the gearbox is the simplest. The Cortina diff is 4.1. The reduction gear on the i-miev is 7.1.

Here's some pics of the Cortina:

Cheers,
Tim
Last edited by TimH on Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 17:53, edited 2 times in total.
TimH
Noobie

Re: Timh's 1965 Mk1 Cortina project

Post by TimH »

Just got the battery pack out of the i-miev.
TimH
Noobie

Post by TimH »

Pack looks good, will have to rearrange slightly to fit in boot over rear axle.
woody

Post by woody »

Nice! Whereabouts are you located?
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
TimH
Noobie

Post by TimH »

woody wrote: Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 15:43 Nice! Whereabouts are you located?
Brisbane. I have edited the opening post with some more details. How far are you with your Cortina conversion?
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

What's the plan for the electronics? Bms, charger, controller etc.
Aftermarket stuff or are you planning on transplanting everything from the imiev
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Tim - if you don't mind, I'd be most grateful if you can throw a tape measure across the cells in the iMiEV pack. I need to know how much room there is for re-packing the module with more energy dense cells. The cell blocks in the foreground look to be about 600 mm wide and 360 long, and probably 170 tall?
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
TimH
Noobie

Post by TimH »

brendon_m wrote: Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 20:28 What's the plan for the electronics? Bms, charger, controller etc.
Aftermarket stuff or are you planning on transplanting everything from the imiev
Planning on transplanting everything if I can...
TimH
Noobie

Post by TimH »

jonescg wrote: Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 20:49 Tim - if you don't mind, I'd be most grateful if you can throw a tape measure across the cells in the iMiEV pack. I need to know how much room there is for re-packing the module with more energy dense cells. The cell blocks in the foreground look to be about 600 mm wide and 360 long, and probably 170 tall?
The group of 5 modules (with 8 cells in each) measures 660 x 450 x about 200 deep overall. The individual cells are apparently 43.8 x 113.5 x 171

To fit those 2 lots of 5 modules over the rear axle in the Cortina (which has a clear space of 790W between wheel wells and min 370H between parcel shelf and boot floor over axle) - one box of 5 would fit as is, but the other wouldn't fit on top as its a bit tight at 370, so would need to be split up. They would fit with turning them on the side though. Then just the other small 2 x 4 modules to fit elsewhere in the boot which shouldn't be a problem.
woody

Post by woody »

TimH wrote: Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 17:55
woody wrote: Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 15:43 Nice! Whereabouts are you located?
Brisbane. I have edited the opening post with some more details. How far are you with your Cortina conversion?
Not very. Still running original + registered.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
Bonsaicars
Noobie

Post by Bonsaicars »

Hi Tim
I’m interested in the reduction/transmission/differential for a project I have. 1965 Mini.
This looks like what I’ve been trying to find to solve my final drive problem.
Never cut the red wire.
DkubusEV
Noobie

Post by DkubusEV »

Looking forward to seeing the conversion evolve and thanks for the rear trailing arms 👍👍 have you worked out how to make sure the ESP and MCU don't get angry about not having a corresponding wheel speed to match the motor rpm and lack of reduction gearbox speed sensor??

As you know I'm also playing with these ideas and I look forward to seeing your solution.

Good luck.

Mike.
Just add lightness and reduce drag.
TimH
Noobie

Post by TimH »

Probably overdue for an update.
Still stripping the imiev. Just the dash and wiring to go now.
Here's some pics:

TimH
Noobie

Post by TimH »

DkubusEV wrote: Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 13:34 Looking forward to seeing the conversion evolve and thanks for the rear trailing arms 👍👍 have you worked out how to make sure the ESP and MCU don't get angry about not having a corresponding wheel speed to match the motor rpm and lack of reduction gearbox speed sensor??

As you know I'm also playing with these ideas and I look forward to seeing your solution.

Good luck.

Mike.
Hey Mike
No, haven't quite worked out how to tackle the wheel speed sensors yet.
We might still use the gear sensor switch in some way.
Will be sorting out whats needed when we hook it all up again outside of the imiev, and before it goes in the Cortina.
At least that is the plan... for now.
Cheers.