Brendon_m Moke

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
brendon_m

Re: Brendon_m Moke

Post by brendon_m »

Been busy juggling other projects in my limited time but I've just about finished getting the coupling sorted.
I had a hard time finding a 1.1/8 bore hub with a 1/4 key.
Turns out its an odd shaft/key size combination on the motor. I could get things out of the UK but postage was over the top. Ended up getting a hub custom made. So a bit more machining of the coupler and a spot of welding to join it to part of the old clutch and I should be good. I've been doing it in my lunch breaks at work so it's being completed in 30min blocks.
On the plus side I've been losing weight by missing lunch. :?
Im hoping to start making the adapter plate this weekend, if I can get my kids day naps to align...
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

I've all but finished the adapter plate and coupling.

Spline the clutch runs on and the gear that drives the gearbox

Weld-in hub to suit the motor that's been machined to suit the clutch spline

Centre of the clutch plate

Adapter getting ready to be welded together

Motor and adapter plate.

Altogether
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

looks good
If you don't have time to do it right,
When will you have time to do it over

Help those who help themselves first
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Took a few scrolls up and down before I twigged the last photo is the machined adapter welded in the clutch spline with the outer section of the clutch hub cut away at the rivet holes. Very neat stuff, looking forward to the next instalments.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Made up the gearbox cover plates

Then I dropped the whole gearbox in the kerosene bath to clean the aluminium filings and leaves (I left the gearbox uncovered in the carport because I'm an idiot) out
And assembled it all

I'll give it a coat of paint after I've done some trial fittings to line up motor mounts
Adverse Effects

that could be a good heat sink for the controller

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

I'm trying to picture where there is enough room in the engine bay for the motor to fit where the flywheel and clutch originally was, can't wait to see a photo of it in position.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Adverse Effects

T1 Terry wrote: Thu, 11 Oct 2018, 12:49 I'm trying to picture where there is enough room in the engine bay for the motor to fit where the flywheel and clutch originally was, can't wait to see a photo of it in position.

T1 Terry
hmm i think you may be right there isnt much room at that end of the "motor"

brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

I did a lot of measuring and then a rough mockup and yes, it's a really tight fit. But it does fit.
Putting the motor at that end is also what pushed me to the pmac motors as they are mostly quite short. The Me1507 has squared off sides which will make it miss the "chassis rail". Just...
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Started making up the motor mount mounts this weekend, I damaged one of the mounts when I was pulling the engine out and forgot to order a new one, so I'll have to wait for that before I can finish up but it's all basically lined up and the brackets are made.

I've left the lifting chains on the old engine for now so I got some ratchet straps and crossed out the "not" on the tag where it says not for lifting and ta daa I had some "rated" slings. Image

Its currently just resting on the subframe but it fits.
(with some minor panel beating to the inner guard)

Edited to add a picture
Last edited by brendon_m on Sun, 14 Oct 2018, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
Adverse Effects

ahh yes i had forgot the moke bay is wider than a minis

brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

I've now received my very Chinese demister. The moke heater assembly was all rusted out when I got it so it never had a heater or a demister. I only need one for licensing and I'm a stinge, cue the nastiest heater box I could find.

But it has a picture of a flower with a bee and a racing truck on the box so it must be good.
Johny

Post by Johny »

Ha ha. It must be an environmentally friendly heater.
Nice build BTW. Good to see another classic EV coming together.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Motor mounts made and it's all bolted in.

I got a box to house the controller, cut the bottom out and I've mounted it on top of the gearbox.
I had to make some links because the premade motor cables didn't quite reach. I was going to use some studs on the side of the box and bolt the cables through, but I think this works better. I found a bit of copper pipe and squashed it flat. Worked really well. I want to slide some heat shrink over it and clean them up

Turns out past Brendon way over engineered the wiring with a separate fuse and relay for every circuit, that guy is a numpty. Admittedly it's good for dealing with/avoiding faults but it takes a lot of space and is just overkill.

So it's all being redone with a more minimalistic approach. The original moke only had 2 Fuses in the fuse box. 1 for lights and another for everything else. It also had a third for the dash illumination that was taped into the harness.
I had 20 Fuses, I'm going to keep 6 and let them do double duty on circuits, much more manageable.

This some of what's being removed, there's almost 2kg
Johny

Post by Johny »

Nice work. Very neat.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Ah yes, the spiderweb of wiring required to retrofit the Lucas wiring into something that didn't go up in smoke when it was the least convenient. Short of a total rewire from end to end, it looks like it might have been quite a reasonable adaption job. a fuse for every circuit makes it easier to track down just which bit failed this time :lol:

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Sadly I'm the culprit of that abomination of wiring, I rewired the car front to back when I got it. It was always reliable electrically, because I fit a fuse and relay to every circuit and it was all too crowded to be neat.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Remember an apprentice sparkie mate who wired in relays for the horn, high beam and low beam on his '70s Triumph Bonneville. First time it rained the water got into the switches and it looked like an anti theft alarm going off, lights going on and off and the horn blasting :lol: well until it flattened the battery anyway, then it won't go at all.
Green but want to learn
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

I've been doing mostly 12v wiring lately when I can find time. I got a bit of a run over the Christmas break and I'm mostly done. Just a few bits and pieces to tidy up but nothing major.
Had a few setbacks, like my brand new indicator stalk having a short in it and the wiper linkage circlip ascending to a higher dimension. You know, normal working on cars stuff
IMG_20181222_204247.jpg
IMG_20181222_204247.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 6741 times
1547283333255-1558225512.jpg
1547283333255-1558225512.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 6741 times

Next big part to do is the battery.
I've bought a 144v 100ah pack of winston cells for the moke, heavier than I wanted as I was looking at NCM's but it was a good price so I was just going to deal with it.
But then I ran into a bit of strife because they're currently installed in a diahatsu sirion that's been converted and
I was going to scrap the car and use the cells but the damn car is too good and now it's my daily driver, and I can't go back to an ice to get to work, driving past the servo feels too good.

So the cells have to stay in the sirion and now I have to convince the finance officer to let me buy another set of cells...

In the mean time I'm just plodding along doing little bits like sorting brakes and mounting the throttle pot etc.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

brendon_m wrote: Sat, 12 Jan 2019, 17:19 I've been doing mostly 12v wiring lately when I can find time. I got a bit of a run over the Christmas break and I'm mostly done. Just a few bits and pieces to tidy up but nothing major.
Had a few setbacks, like my brand new indicator stalk having a short in it and the wiper linkage circlip ascending to a higher dimension. You know, normal working on cars stuff

IMG_20181222_204247.jpg

1547283333255-1558225512.jpg

Next big part to do is the battery.
I've bought a 144v 100ah pack of winston cells for the moke, heavier than I wanted as I was looking at NCM's but it was a good price so I was just going to deal with it.
But then I ran into a bit of strife because they're currently installed in a diahatsu sirion that's been converted and
I was going to scrap the car and use the cells but the damn car is too good and now it's my daily driver, and I can't go back to an ice to get to work, driving past the servo feels too good.

So the cells have to stay in the sirion and now I have to convince the finance officer to let me buy another set of cells...

In the mean time I'm just plodding along doing little bits like sorting brakes and mounting the throttle pot etc.
What about a Prius traction battery from the wreckers? You could reorganise the modules to get the pack voltage you are looking for and that would give you a small capacity battery pack to do the fine tuning with and at least drive it around a bit. Once you get it moving and take the finance officer for a short drive in it to convince the said officer that the project is viable but just needs more battery capacity, the funds might be easier to get ;) 8-)

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

T1 Terry wrote: Sun, 13 Jan 2019, 08:24Once you get it moving and take the finance officer for a short drive
She detests the moke, thinks it's unsafe because it has no roof and hates the wind blowing her hair, so that probably won't work.

I did look at prius/camry packs from wreckers but most wreckers I called said they have never had any hybrids come through, ever. Not interested in dealing with risks of batteries when they can get a known quantity like a commodore instead I guess.
I also did a bit of research into the chemistry and put it in the too hard basket, though I didn't go to far into it.

I have a 100v of Nicad's (not a pallet of AAs, honest) sitting around that I can use for minor tests but it's only 15ah so not exactly going to have much range or acceleration.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Maybe you can get one sent over from Melbourne, I had to do all my parts shopping there when I was running the workshop for ACE Bus service way back when I was living there. I paid $400 for the one I just fitted into my Prius after the old one got too weak to really do the job.
The Prius pack is 220v roughly and 6.5Ah on a good day, so that would only give you around 12Ah @ 100v but it can be dragged out at 120 amps when assembled as a 220v pack, so double maybe connected as a 2P14S pack.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

How much storage do you need?
I am working g on my battery pack and I will need to get more cells later. Would you be interested in getting some cells when I order more?
Will you make the battery modules your self or do you want to get something already made?
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

At this point I'm only looking for 10-20kwh. Weight being the main limit. Im lazy so I wanted prismatic cells because they're easier and seem to be more readily available both new and 2nd hand.
My original budget allowed for around $6000 of battery in new cells. Because I bought the sirion that figure took a hit so I'm currently looking 2nd hand or waiting for finances to recover.
I could make a lead sled for cheap with batteries from work but that would be a massive mistake.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

Have you seen my battery module?
It is water cooled and energy density of around 203wh/kg for the whole module including cooling and BMS.
If you want to have a look it is the pajero conversion. I posted some pictures a few days ago. I am not expecting to order the rest of the cells until around march. If you are interested (or anyone else for that matter) in making a group buy let me know.