Voltron-Evo; jonescg's new electric race bike

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
GRMarks
Groupie

Post by GRMarks »

Thats just what the other bike owners wanted to hear, the Voltron - evo was not running at full power or speed!!!!!!!

Is there an electric bike round at winton or is it just for the ice bikes only? If there is, what date is it?
Regards

Glenn Marks
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Oh! Just realised. The first thing you should do is get Azam from RmS to step you through the process of upgrading your firmware. It's possible that the old firmware you're running doesn't do such a good job of field weakening.

But when you do, don't forget to change the Relay_Output_State parameter to 0x000d so discharge works correctly. And just in case I still haven't understood how these bits are supposed to work, please add those diodes we discussed earlier, so the precharge relay coil is energised when either the Precharge or Main outputs are on.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
roddilkes
Groupie

Post by roddilkes »

Congratulations Chris, Mike, Danny and the gang.

Chris you really believed in yourself and risked everything, I think thats what got you to the start line and what got you to the finish with flying colours. Its inspirational stuff.

Congratulations also to the other competitors for making the race possible.
You guys are making history!... and its not over yet...
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

GRMarks wrote: Thats just what the other bike owners wanted to hear, the Voltron - evo was not running at full power or speed!!!!!!!

Is there an electric bike round at winton or is it just for the ice bikes only? If there is, what date is it?

Yep, Winton Raceway, August 1st to 3rd.

I was forwarded this image from the end of the weekend:

L-R: Mike O'Hanlon; Jon Eggenhuizen, Chris Jones, Danny Pottage and Danny Ripperton
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

They could use a copy editor, but great to see all the same :)
GRMarks
Groupie

Post by GRMarks »

Chris
how's things been going with the bike? Any time for testing/adjusting in the last few weeks? I am hopping to see you and the other bikes at Winton this Saturday.
Regards

Glenn Marks
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Glenn - it would be great to see you again! We've got a few suspension tweaks in order. A few minor compliance issues to sort out too, like re-routing the cables and finding a rigid plastic box for the auxiliary battery. Otherwise we're rearing to go!
GRMarks
Groupie

Post by GRMarks »

Hey Chris

If you want or need I can try printing one up on my 3d printer for you. Just send me the measurements you want including any mounting lugs and how thick I can make it. I have PLA and ABS or nylon (not sure how the nylon would go).
Just let me know.
Regards

Glenn Marks
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Glenn - if you can 3D-print a box with a lid, 212 mm by 54 mm by 70 mm, that would be awesome. It's to fit a battery made from eight 26650 cells.
We'll try a few things in the meantime, but having that would be awesome.
Cheers mate!
GRMarks
Groupie

Post by GRMarks »

I am assuming the lid is 212 mm X 54 mm ?
what about mounting lugs ? will you bolt it on or cable tie it on?
I would suggest cable ties and lugs to hold the lid on.
what diameter are the cables coming out and where, one on each end or both at the same end?
Regards

Glenn Marks
GRMarks
Groupie

Post by GRMarks »

oh 26650 are 26.21 in diameter so that makes it 2 X 4 cells which would be 106 X 54 X 70 correct or am I missing something?
Regards

Glenn Marks
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Whoops, sorry the pack is actually 4s3p, so two rows of 6 cells. I don't have it in front of me, so I forgot what it looks like Image .

So yes, internal dimensions are 158 mm long, 54 mm wide and about 70 mm tall. No need for a lid really, but if you wanted to make one you are welcome.
GRMarks
Groupie

Post by GRMarks »

I printed a box up last night but it might be a bit overkill on thickness (4 mm thick, 80% solid), so I might do one 2mm think (lighter). That way you can choose between strong or light.
Initially I was thinking it would be outside in the open like on a normal motor bike, but since you said it doesn't need a lid I am guessing it will be inside your main battery box. I will make a lid anyway just so it looks good.
Do the wires both come out the same end or one at each end. if each end is it (your) left or right of center with end facing you?
Regards

Glenn Marks
a4x4kiwi

Post by a4x4kiwi »

Hi. Can you check you pm for chris' number to call.
Thanks. Mal
Silicon is just sand with attitude.

Blog: http://malfunction.faed.name
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

i heard it was snowing on the track?
k kms 17x
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
pottz
Groupie

Post by pottz »

Pretty close to it. There was ice in the puddles on Sunday as we were heading out to race.
I'll leave it to Chris to do a writeup, it's been hectic and he won't be back quite back yet.

I will say we had a good weekend and I had a lot of fun.
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

" fitted with Turnigy 40c LiPo RC batteries "

Love the reference in that news article to the RC battery's

Is their anything you can't make fast with enough HK lipo Image

Nice results well done.

Kurt
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Thought I might do a little race report of round 2 of the eFXC at Winton Raceway last weekend, thanks to team O'Hanlon Electric Motorsport ;)

Pottz and I landed in Melbourne on Thursday morning after catching the Redeye. We drove up to Benalla and when crossing the range I recognised a familiar cloud formation, last seen in winter in Canada... Yep, it was going to be a cold weekend.

Mike arrived that afternoon so we could prep the bike for Friday practice. Varley had arrived with their bike in JP Special livery, back in black and gold. Through scrutineering (electrical and mechanical) in no time, we were ready for some laps. We had some new 1.2 mm springs in the forks, but the re-vale didn't seem to be behaving like we'd wanted it to. We are still trying to suspend a 238 kg bike on them when hard on the brakes, so it's not going to be easy, but still, the handling is a vast improvement over Round 1 at QR.

It began to rain, then hail, and possibly snow (any ice falling from the sky counts as snow if you ask me) but there were the odd dry spells where we could go out and slowly learn the circuit with the 250s and 300s. It must have been frustrating for them, as we could nearly double their top speeds in the straights but they'd embarrass us in the corners. Pottz was the only one to qualify, but at 2:38 it wasn't exactly amazing :lol: It was so good to know that our 700 volt battery powered electric bike could be ridden in the rain with no fear of electrocution or faults. We cranked the regen torque up to 80 Nm and it seemed to feel pretty good, but it was really too wet to make much use of it and test it properly. We also took the ramp rate down to 30 Nm/s for a slower throttle rate, but as it turned out 35 would have been about right.

Saturday race one was a cracker, with Danny Ripperton and Danny Pottage duking it out for first. My old lap record from Voltron 1 was smashed by ~16 seconds, first by Pottz with a 1:42.529 on lap 2, only to be bettered by Ripperton on lap 3 with a 1:42.396. Which was great to see :) Voltron Evo held a convincing gap until Pottz went into turn 1 a bit hot and ran off track, through the grass and rejoined behind Ripperton. He took second nonetheless. Unfortunately the Varley machine steered by Jason Morris was playing up after three laps, and had to retire early.

The track stayed cold all day, and by the time we were up for race two it was simply bitter. We turned the regen down to 40 Nm as the rear was chattering like crazy in race one, but it felt like ice out there. After a tight start Pottz had an inverter fault which called for a re-boot. This takes about 3 seconds, which is about 4 hours in racetrack time :lol:. By then the field had left so it was a case of go hard or run wide trying. The track was beginning to seep water again, and from a riders perspective it's not really confidence inspiring. Alex Pickett nearly had a shot at second place, but the straight line power of Voltron Evo meant he was pipped at the line.

Sunday morning was a tiny bit warmer - the ice was limited to shadowed puddles. After a good sleep and some more track knowledge, Pottz was feeling confident. Ripperton had a controller failure at the start line, causing him to limp around on reduced power. Pickett was riding on a dislocated shoulder but still managed to put in a 1:45.672, which is pretty amazing. Danny P took the win, putting in another 1:42.884 on the last lap. Alex came second and Ripperton third, lapped after the race end.

Race four was an interesting situation - Alex had to catch a plan from Melbourne, and if he raced in eFXC he's miss the flight. So Simon Galloway who was pitting with us agreed to a joyride. I recall some pre-race agreement about what to do with points allocation, but it clearly caused some tension afterwards - most notably cause Simon bloody near won the race! It was a great race to watch, with Pottz taking the win, Simon second and Ripperton coming third despite his controller issues. Much has been said about Galloway's performance, but Pickett was putting in some seriously fast laps all weekend, all with a busted shoulder. Sadly Varley were a non-start, with some serious electronics bugs to sort out again.

It was on the Motorsports TV web stream, but the last race seems to have been trimmed :? You can find most of race three here: http://new.livestream.com/itvl/events/3 ... s/58176703 and a ripped copy of race 4 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpzvVMzP4y0

Another great weekend of electric racing, despite the very testing conditions. No-one likes mechanical issues spoiling an otherwise close race, but hey, that's racing. Voltron Evo is handling the corners pretty good for a big fatty, but with some more suspension tuning it can go faster. I have some great front and rear footage which I will put up soon. The rear is planted, and appears to have no trouble keeping traction out of turns. The front on the other hand...

Massive, massive thanks to Mike O'Hanlon for getting us on track and for funding most of this years' campaign. Also have to thank Kaneg for providing Danny with accessories like warmers, stands and break-off bits like footpegs. Danny is riding the wheels off this thing and it just keeps getting faster.

O'Hanlon Electric Motorsport were nominated for the AMCN "Best Presented" team - but the Yamaha at the end was the prettiest. The paint job was pretty nice.

pottz
Groupie

Post by pottz »

Lap two of the first race.

http://youtu.be/iE1LhhsSqRI

When I get home I should be able to make a better video. Chris summed it up nicely, a good weekend's racing and all the riders were pushing very hard. I'm slowly learning to slow the big girl down and get her around a corner.
Johny

Post by Johny »

g4qber

Post by g4qber »

http://m.motorplus-online.com/m_read/EP ... -Australia

Voltron evo also famous in Indonesia.
k kms 17x
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
pottz
Groupie

Post by pottz »

C'mon Chris, been waiting for you to post it.... Can't hold out any longer......

Big news for the WA locals.

Voltron-evo is back on home turf!!
We can take some stress out of the riding equasion and go out and have some fun on the big girl. Finally some important testing and tuning can be done and hopefully we can find some improvements in the setup.

But the really big news......

Voltron-evo has confirmed entry in the Weld West MCRCWA State Championships. It will be racing in club1000 against some of the fastest petrol bikes in the state.
Unfortunately because it is something new and the club is unsure of it the bike will start last and from pit lane but under the control of veteran rider Paul Cox should hopefully put in a good show.

If you want to check it out in action it will be racing Sat 4oct at Barbagallo. See here for details   http://mcrcwa.com.au/ it is the last round of the state championship and there will be some close and hard racing.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Thanks Danny, so many fora to post to...

Yeah, it's gonna be great. Can't believe we have to start from pit lane though. That's being really conservative. Surely we only have to do this once to see it's fast enough to keep up? I was looking forward to watching it holeshoot to the front!

We're racing on Sunday too - Round 5 is a two day event!
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

What forum do you mostly post to? Can you give us a link to the thread?
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).