EV,LANDROVER

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
johnfriartuck
Groupie

EV,LANDROVER

Post by johnfriartuck » Fri, 14 Jan 2011, 00:22

HI
I thought id better introduce myself (got into trouble from the boss for posting questions and comments first) I'm john 60 years old Ive been an ex panel beater for 30 years, now on a carers pension for my invalid wife.

I've had this job for ten years and money is getting scarcer by the minute but every year sees everything doubling in cost(exaggeration i know but you get the drift?) last year we ended up with a Hyundai Getz which was still not cheap to run so with this in mind im thinking of creating an ev i already have an old landrover which i was going to do up standard so i could get a boat and be able to tow it to the water etc,etc but the likely hood of boat ownership isnt getting likelier so i thought it could go electric.

its quite practical for this to happen, the thing only has a77 or 81hp motor dont know which and weighs alot not sure what a SWB weighs? but once i pull both axles and the motor/gearbox and all the associated bits it will surely weigh heaps less i plan to use an axle ive got from a 2litre celica ive cut the ends off cos i was planning to put a little tractor together but changed my mind when electricity called ive also got the rear axle off a discovery its got discs so i will cut the ends off and weld em onto the toyo bit keep it looking std ive got a front axle off a range rover too but i need to think about how ill incorporate the discs off this onto the landy. once all this is done and the car is almost finished to rolling status ill start on the electric side ive already got a motor i think its between 260 and 280mm diameter its inside a crate at the moment and i can hardly lift it to measure it properly it came out of a forklift, shaft is approx 30/32mm with 14 splines im gonna marry it to a Toyota 5 speed ive got so it matches the diff im told it has more than 100 hp on tap (the motor that is) if nothing else it will be interesting does anyone know where i can get couplings for these motors any comments and/help appreciated,by the way ive never seen a trailer made out of the front of a vehicle before and that one sent shivers up my spine having once been a panel beater, ican say ive been there and done that but not that nor would i ever if that guy was hit by an electrical fault as you say the throttle could stick on with serious consequences anyway i need to go and have a cuppa so im off now,see ya all later

johnfriartuck
Last edited by johnfriartuck on Thu, 13 Jan 2011, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

johnfriartuck
Groupie

EV,LANDROVER

Post by johnfriartuck » Fri, 14 Jan 2011, 07:54

hi im back does anyone know what a 25 micro farad capacitor is and where i can get em from?

Electrocycle
MSN: dumhed@dumhed.com

EV,LANDROVER

Post by Electrocycle » Fri, 14 Jan 2011, 13:54

it really depends on what voltage you need.
25uF is not really a common size now, but you can get close.
The Engine Whisperer - fixer of things

coulomb
Site Admin

EV,LANDROVER

Post by coulomb » Fri, 14 Jan 2011, 14:11

johnfriartuck wrote: hi im back does anyone know what a 25 micro farad capacitor is and where i can get em from?

Maybe something like these?
http://au.element14.com/cornell-dubilie ... dp/1252415

Element 14 (formerly Farnell) is an online seller of electronic components. These sorts of capacitors (some smaller ones come in plastic cases, about the size of a toilet roll tube) are often used to provide a phase delay to start and/or run two phase induction motors from single phase power.

Generally, two phase motors are not suitable for EV work.

When you get this motor uncrated, perhaps you could post a picture; some of us might be able to tell you roughly what kind of motor it is, and whether it might be suitable.
Last edited by coulomb on Fri, 14 Jan 2011, 03:11, edited 1 time in total.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

coulomb
Site Admin

EV,LANDROVER

Post by coulomb » Fri, 14 Jan 2011, 14:17

You can also get close to 25 uF from Jaycar, e.g. this 30 uF unit. They also sell 20 uF at the same price.

johnfriartuck
Groupie

EV,LANDROVER

Post by johnfriartuck » Sat, 15 Jan 2011, 05:08

thanx guys im knocking up a desulphator to get all my batteries back up to scratch in the instructions it mentions 25 but it has 40 in the wiring diagram so do jaycar do this size and do you know how much theyll be   john

coulomb
Site Admin

EV,LANDROVER

Post by coulomb » Sat, 15 Jan 2011, 13:55

johnfriartuck wrote: thanx guys im knocking up a desulphator...

Oh. In that case, you won't need a huge can like that; the large size is to resist mains voltage safely for years. In a desulphator, you likely only need a much lower voltage. But it may have to be a certain type (polypropylene, or low-ESR electrolytic perhaps) because of the application (needing repeated high current pulses). It should be described on the circuit diagram. Jaycar will likely have it, and it will only be a few dollars.

A quick search seems to indicate that an electrolytic is usually used.

Low ESR electro 47uF 63V: http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID ... BCATID=859 36c.

Ordinary 33uF 25 V electrolytic: http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID ... BCATID=860 34c.

Note that the electrolytics are polarised. You need to connect the lead marked - to the most negative part of the circuit. Your circuit should have a plus on the positive side.

This is getting badly off topic; if you have further questions, please send me a PIM (personal internet? instant? message).

Edit: To send a PIM, drop down the menu box near my avatar (icon/picture), and select "Send Private Message".
Last edited by coulomb on Sat, 15 Jan 2011, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.

johnfriartuck
Groupie

EV,LANDROVER

Post by johnfriartuck » Tue, 18 Jan 2011, 18:08

hi again i was looking at the ev vogue on another members site and very impressed i am but one thing that struck me was the bracket work which was painted in ordinary black paint that came off with the tape there is a product on the market called POR15 which is black its similar to 2pak but is applied by brush and dries to a hammer finish it costs around $75 for one litre but i know of one guy who painted a vw floorpan with it he got 3 coats out of the one tin you get it from Melbourne if your interested google POR15 to go back to the vogue for a minute i cant find it in members machines got onto it through electric trike so where is it please   ta

a4x4kiwi

EV,LANDROVER

Post by a4x4kiwi » Tue, 18 Jan 2011, 18:27

POR 15 is good stuff. There is a distributor near me. See http://ppcco.com.au/
Silicon is just sand with attitude.

Blog: http://malfunction.faed.name

woody

EV,LANDROVER

Post by woody » Tue, 18 Jan 2011, 18:39

johnfriartuck wrote:to go back to the vogue for a minute i cant find it
where is it please
electricvogue.blogspot.com
ta
youarewelcomecheerswoodywhoistypinglikeateenageronredbull
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

Johny

EV,LANDROVER

Post by Johny » Tue, 18 Jan 2011, 18:52

Yes I have read a lot about POR15 but I think I'll get the whole frame plated on the first tear down - maybe in about a year.
I'm not taking anything apart I don't have to at this stage - so close to first little drive.

Johny

EV,LANDROVER

Post by Johny » Tue, 18 Jan 2011, 18:57

Johny wrote: Yes I have read a lot about POR15 but I think I'll get the whole frame plated on the first tear down - maybe in about a year.
I'm not taking anything apart I don't have to at this stage - so close to first little drive.
Quotes self. Oh and the black paint came off because it didn't stick to the spray galv primer as well as I thought - plus I was a bit impatient. The Penetrol then galv primer still stuck and the black is OK where I didn't coat it with auto-contact then peel the whole lot off a few weeks later. (Justification ends...)

EV2Go

EV,LANDROVER

Post by EV2Go » Tue, 18 Jan 2011, 19:53

Is it just me or is this thread more confusing than most Image (I'm guessing there are other conversations spilling over here?)

johnfriartuck
Groupie

EV,LANDROVER

Post by johnfriartuck » Tue, 18 Jan 2011, 19:57

you think your confused,whats a thread?

Johny

EV,LANDROVER

Post by Johny » Tue, 18 Jan 2011, 20:01

johnfriartuck wrote: you think your confused,whats a thread?
That which your sanity hangs by...

EV2Go

EV,LANDROVER

Post by EV2Go » Tue, 18 Jan 2011, 20:03

Hey John, a thread is a just a topic, just like the one you started here...

Somehow and I don't know how it looks like Johny's body work is being discussed but I can't see how that found its way into your thread.

Maybe I missed something.

Edit: Ahhh I see what I missed now, yep just me being slower than usual!

(see what living in QLD has done to me)
Last edited by EV2Go on Tue, 18 Jan 2011, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.

johnfriartuck
Groupie

EV,LANDROVER

Post by johnfriartuck » Tue, 20 Dec 2011, 15:03

hi guys its bin a long time,ive been collecting all the bits to get the landy back to standard shape and up and running i just got offered another one for spares its in better shape than the one i already have(more together and almost complete so its the one ill use its a 1957 series two)other one is a 1966 series two.So stage one is get it on the road, i will try to post pictures, but it will be hard for me,i am not computer literate so i have to rely on Mrs tuck to help(ouch) at the moment i am building a trike its similar to aussie jesters one i am about halfway into this i am doing it for two reasons one is its for the wife and also so i can learn about the electrical side before i attempt the bigger electrics on the landy,sothats it until after christmas hope you all have a gud one cant wait for friday(beer oclock for seven whole days)cheers lads see ya in the noo yeer     john

Johny

EV,LANDROVER

Post by Johny » Tue, 20 Dec 2011, 15:19

Hi John. Glad to see that you are still perservering. Did you ever get the desulphator going?
Isn't that typical that you start on one vehicle then a better one comes along for parts Image

johnfriartuck
Groupie

EV,LANDROVER

Post by johnfriartuck » Tue, 20 Dec 2011, 17:14

johnny hi i havent even started it yet cos the diagram i was given has one component left out and emails to the guy have gone unanswered it seems once they get your dosh you dont exist anymore,but theres plenty of time to do it i wont need the batteries for a long time i will be concentrating on the landy at first i havent got the diagram to hand at the moment but i am sure if i put it on here there will be someone who will be able to tell me where to put the extra bit, hey. your right about better ones coming along i had pulled the front off the landy so that it was easier to work on the motor(sorry for using bad language) but thats all both of them are in good nick mechanically with no rust in the chassis so i might do em both up leaving one standard so i can sell it to fund the project theyre just covered in 60 years of crud like all older cars.talking of projects Johnny i am not up to date with yours,wheres the back half of your blog?                     

Johny

EV,LANDROVER

Post by Johny » Tue, 20 Dec 2011, 17:46

When you say the "back half" do you mean older posts?
You had me in a panic wondering whether the back half had got deleted....

johnfriartuck
Groupie

EV,LANDROVER

Post by johnfriartuck » Tue, 20 Dec 2011, 18:25

i followed your blog when i first joined the forum i got up to where you were about to test drive it then it seemed to disappear all thats on your blog now is one page of discussions with none of the build/run details it says you dont want to duplicate things but thats all i can find on it have you got it set up elsewhere then,sorry but i did tell you im computer illiterate   john

johnfriartuck
Groupie

EV,LANDROVER

Post by johnfriartuck » Tue, 20 Dec 2011, 18:26

its hard to teach an old dog new tricks

Johny

EV,LANDROVER

Post by Johny » Tue, 20 Dec 2011, 18:29

Hi John. It sounds like you are looking at the members machines entry.
Click on the link in my post signature. (Just a few lines below these words)

johnfriartuck
Groupie

EV,LANDROVER

Post by johnfriartuck » Mon, 16 Jan 2012, 18:19

hi guys this is a picture of the motor i bought for my trike project its a Kv 170 i got it from hobby king in Hong Kong it says its made by EMP but its identical to the turnigy even down to the numbers it was $139.00 inc postage (im still waiting for hobby king to get the turnigy in) and ive had this for two months at least im experimenting with the drive sprocket and fan it may not be permanent, if your waiting for one from Sydney try Hong Kong! I got a skywing esc from them also, came in two weeks pics to follow

this is the skywing esc 150 amp it was just under $32.oo so now i have to work out the connections its the throttle thats confusing me, next is a picture of the throttle

so this is the throttle,i got it off a small electric scooter/bike thing, as you can see the colours are different to the esc can anyone explain to me the correct way to connect the two together

Last edited by johnfriartuck on Mon, 16 Jan 2012, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

mcudogs
Groupie

EV,LANDROVER

Post by mcudogs » Mon, 16 Jan 2012, 21:45

Hi John,

The esc is expecting the output of a remote controlled receiver to drive it. The signal output from the receiver is a series of pulses of varying duration between approx 1-2 mS in length.

The throttle is probably a hall effect device with an output on the yellow wire varying between 0-5 volts DC. The red wire should be + 5 volts DC and the black wire - 5 volts DC.

To connect the 2 together you will need an encoder. Hobbyking sell a servo tester device PRODUCT ID: HKSST which creates the pulse signal based on the position of a potentiometer knob on the device. It would be possible to connect the throttle in place of the pot ie unsolder the pot and solder the throttle in it's place making sure that the polarity of the leads matches the voltage measured on the PC board.