Homemade 2kW brushless trike "now with fairing"

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
F&P
Noobie

Post by F&P »

Hi All,

Been having a read though all the great information here so I thought you might be interested in what I have been doing in the electric car world.

I have been using Fisher and paycal brushless 3 phase washing machine motors re-configured for use as a wind turbines and then even adding big Neo magnets, now back to a motor runnng from DC.
It is running a Infineon 48V / 47Amp (can be 72V or higher) brushless controller with halls and it goes well. Will nearly break traction on gravel and easily wheel spins in reverse even on some bituman for some reason?? goes about 50kph but yet to be really tested out. Similar to bike hub motors.

See youtube links and pictures, can't post pics, will see. Car is now cut down to be just an electric trike and not a solarcar and I will set up a trailer if I want solar power.

Will be putting on a nice fairing next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux1gCSBocmc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNSMLQ7RtnU

Anyone help with uploading pics?? worked it out, thanks.
Some earlier pics with steel extensions for solar panels and the revised pure electric version ready for a fairing. you can see how low it is in the pics and it handles accordingly. Needs better front wheelchair wheels if anyone has some solid ones laying around, maybe exchange an F&P motor or something.
Last picture comparing large 1000W bike hub motor to F&P motor.

See below pictures of the new fairing made from Corflute. It cost about $30 for 2 sheets. I would have liked the front to look a bit better but oh well, once I get some colour, like signage or just some paint with stipes or something, it should look better I hope.
Might even get Energymatters my work to get it painted in their greencolours, might look real sharp.
Next will be a lightweight simple one wheeled trailer capable of holding 4 x 80W solar panels. It will attach the trailer at 2 points at the rear to keep it stable and upright.

I will get a video up soon of me driving with the fairing and hopefully will have my perspex top finished also which will top of the looks a bit better I think.
Again, this now does wheels spins on gravel when takling off, as now I have it ramped to 48V / 47Amps, was 28A and will try to get this on video soon.

First pic has the white line that the perspex roof shape with follow approx.

Note in the pic below, a mini green quad to the left that I converted to EV and has been great for over 2 years. No controller, just a car solenoid and switch and off it goes spinning the wheels. Is a heavy duty solar pump motor rated at 300W-400W continous at 12V, but I have it at 24V mostly and 36V in open areas as it has an overheat switch so should be OK. Has a 3 to 1 reduction g-box and chain drive. At 36V it draws 60 to 80Amps and really does hammer with a light kid aboard and much better than the noisy 2 stroke it came with.

F&P
Matt Image
Last edited by F&P on Wed, 09 Dec 2009, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
F&P Matt
Carv'n Marv'n
Groupie

Post by Carv'n Marv'n »

...can't watch Youtube here at work - so will have to check them out later...

I have found, that when you upload pics, the file extension ie. .jpg....actually needs to be in uppercase for some reason ie. .JPG

strange, but it worked for me.

Williams Electric - Tilting Trikes
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi
Neat! I havent seen anyone using F&P motors in an EV before.
Does the Infineon controller do regen?   
To upload pictures just click on the picture of a tree with an arrow next to it? Works for me..
You can also imbed your Utube videos if you want by doing this: [ TUBE ]File Name[/tube]". (without the spaces either side of TUBE.
F&P
Noobie

Post by F&P »

I just got reverse working and I think it is just as easy to activate regen, by joining ground to one of the points on the board but not sure which point yet, will investigate further.
Would be very quick with 3 of these motors and could be done by changing the front end of the car or even easier to add 2 bike hub motors like in the pics.

The thing i like about my project is that it has cost me very little as the motor was built up (re-configured and added neos) for $10 (surplus neos, I was lucky) and the rest is made from bike parts and steel laying around.
$90 for all the bearing blocks.
$40 for 2 wheel-chair wheels.
$100 for controller.
Total around $250.00 so far, batteries were cheap from my work at about $160 for 4 x 12V / 18Ah Haze gel batts, forgot about them.
Total now = $400.00

F&P
Matt
F&P Matt
Richo

Post by Richo »

Just wach out for the spin cycle Image
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
BjBlaster
Groupie

Post by BjBlaster »

That is tidy! I see you re-enforced the outer F&P magnet housing... is that fiberglass? Nice work.
If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway - bj's shed
F&P
Noobie

Post by F&P »

Yes done in fiberglass.
It really needs a alum or steel rotor as I feel if I beef up my controller more which is possible I will rip the inner spline off the shaft.
F&P
Matt
F&P Matt
grub
Noobie

Post by grub »

That is just fantastic. Do you have a site or place where you explain how you rewired the f&p and controllers, etc. A friend and I considered what you had done, but the only information we could find was that it would not work and wasn't worth the effort.
F&P
Noobie

Post by F&P »

Hi grub,

No site sorry.
I learnt all this when I was getting into wind turbines and re-configuring them for low volts and high amps.
Parallel or series/parallel which work for use as a battery charging alternator or a low voltage brushless motor.

They don't really work that well with the standard ferrite magnet rotor and you would need to replace them with neos and this gets complicated, especially if you don't have any brown coloured magnet rotors around (rare and stronger) strong enough to handle the extra force of the neo mags.

For parallel, I just cut every wire of each coil on a 8mm motor and soldered the ends of each phase to a central ring of copper wire and then the other ends of each phase to a common star configuration.
I could go to delta (even switched) with a bit more work to give even more curent draw and speed.'

Don't beleive anyone that tells you they won't work as I have proven very much that they bogggy with a decent controller and re-wiring.
I guess i am getting around 2kw and might be good for 3kw if i go to 72V and even higher If I add a bit more solder to that fantastic little shunt.

If anyone is interseted in getting hold of any of these brushless motor controllers, please give me a bell.

F&P
Matt

Last edited by F&P on Fri, 04 Dec 2009, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
F&P Matt
Thalass

Post by Thalass »

Wow this is great! I like the little quad, too. My daughter is just about old enough for that sort of thing.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.
F&P
Noobie

Post by F&P »

Yes happy with the outcome in the end.

Re: the Quad, the kids both love it especially the 4 year old, the other is 7YO and has his mini bike which might also be converted to EV. 4YO loves doing roll backs to make the wheel spins last longer, little rev head. The little thing will go anywhere, over sand, gravel, mud and climbs anything.

The Quad cost me $80 new without motor, motor was free from work as it was a damaged warranty item easily fixed.
Batts were laying around.

Will put up a video of it in action soon.

I like to build these things as cheap as possible.

F&P Matt
F&P Matt
F&P
Noobie

Post by F&P »

Hi All,

Got a video up on you tube of a quick run of my EV with a fairing, an aerodynamic perpex roof to be added next.
Front wheels are not handling it too well at all and are twisting etc. They are cheap $20 (new) wheelchair wheels. I will be looking at another option soon, any thoughts, it has a 12mm shaft at about 70mm long.
Maybe even re-spoke the wheelchair hubs which have the larger 12mm sealed bearings, into some decent mountain bike 24" wheels with maybe heavier spokes. The other option is some type of postie/m-bike type of wheel (skinny). Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeSKSQXXQ5c

Can't wait to try it out now on the backroads for some speed runs etc.

F&P
Matt
F&P Matt
HeadsUp
Groupie

Post by HeadsUp »

grub wrote: That is just fantastic. Do you have a site or place where you explain how you rewired the f&p and controllers, etc. A friend and I considered what you had done, but the only information we could find was that it would not work and wasn't worth the effort.

F & P rewiring
Johny

Post by Johny »

F&P (Matt) I sent you a PM about solar panels - did you get it?
F&P
Noobie

Post by F&P »

Yes got your message Johny, you should have a reply.

I have a quick video of the F&P trike spinning the rear wheel in reverse mainly, and slightly in forwards in our bituman carport with a nobby BMX tyre.
This has potential for a cheap and even free motor if you source your neo mags cheap. Could take more power again I feel, and I have a .1 Ohm motor which could go well with a larger controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFvnUxPbOTQ

Matt
F&P
F&P Matt
chrismar
Noobie

Post by chrismar »

Hi
I have a number of the F&P Smart Drives 60dc-1s-12p-star in copper that are in their standard factory configuration. I am looking for a motor controller for this 3 phase DC BLDC motor with Halls sensors. If I use the factory controller for these drives they run the pre programmed washing cycle, but I want to run these as a continuous rotating drive at about 1600RPM off DC. I notice in your post that you also use the F&P Drive and a Infineon 48V / 47Amp brushless controller. Could you let me know where I could buy one of these. Otherwise any guidance as to where I can source a solution for purchase would be greatly appreciated. Please note I am a complete novice at this. I have looked at other motors but the F&P is ideal for my application.

Regards

Chrismar    Image
jateureka
Noobie

Post by jateureka »

Most brushless dc motor controllers for use with e-bikes should do the job. Infineon is the manufacturer of the motor controller chip, which is used in a lot of controllers.
They are readily available on ebay from China, but if you google '48V brushless motor controller' I'm sure you will find a suitable local source.
E-Bikes: FreeGo; eLation V2; Bafang 8FUN; MAC; Ezee
E-Motorcycles: ZEV 7100 LR; Zero S 2011
E-Mower: Ego push mower & line trimmer
E-Power: 3.3kW solar panels and Xantrex inveter