Smokinjoe's Beetle conversion

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
Klemmy
Noobie

Re: Smokinjoe's Beetle conversion

Post by Klemmy »

smokinjoe wrote: Sun, 01 Nov 2020, 10:07
So what are you using to couple the Leaf motor to the VW transaxle? I have a Sterling ( in Australia, it's the Eureka) that i'm going to convert over to electric.
Hi Klemmy,
I've just seen your post haven't been online for a while. I wish I had photos of it, I basically had the input of the Nissan leaf reduction unit machined so the clutch centre from the beetle would press in. then I tack welded it to stay there. there is a pilot bearing in the middle of the coupler to keep it centred.

[ Edited Coulomb: fixed quoting (first tag should not have the slosh character). ]
hmm good thing I do have reduction unit laying around. I have alot of other things to get through before that, thanks for the info though, it helps.
smokinjoe
Noobie

Post by smokinjoe »

Spent a bit more time on the beetle this weekend, wired in the 240v charge inlet and interlock to prevent driveway, and plumbed in a small radiator to keep the whole lot cool. Just have to secure some of the wiring and i'm all finished in there.
Attachments
PXL_20201122_030328351.jpg
PXL_20201122_030328351.jpg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 62 times
PXL_20201122_030324709.jpg
PXL_20201122_030324709.jpg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 62 times
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Nice, liquid cooled beetle :mrgreen:

I assume there was no neat way of using the original beetle fill port for the power inlet?
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Looks awesome mate! Hope to see it at a meeting, or at the very least Electrikhana 2021!
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

the full conversion looks so neat
If you don't have time to do it right,
When will you have time to do it over

Help those who help themselves first
smokinjoe
Noobie

Post by smokinjoe »

jonescg wrote: Yesterday, 10:42 Looks awesome mate! Hope to see it at a meeting, or at the very least Electrikhana 2021!
Thanks Chris, I'd love to get it up there for electikhana. Hopefully it's all finished by then.
brendon_m wrote: Yesterday, 05:41 Nice, liquid cooled beetle :mrgreen:

I assume there was no neat way of using the original beetle fill port for the power inlet?
Cheers Brendan, I was hoping to put it there but it would be a tight fit and I was a bit worried about the weather getting in.