The first few posts will be a bit of a catch up, here's the short and curly of the project so far...
- Vehicle: 2001 NB MX-5 (LSD, 6-speed manual, 1090KG wet).
- Motor: Netgain HyPer 9 120v.
- Gearbox: Retained standard 6-speed with a 4.1kg aluminium flywheel and Exedy cushion button ~400nm clutch.
- Batteries: 115V @200A 120x 3.7V 50A CATL NCM cells ~200Wh/Kg (maybe, I've also considered Tesla modules and LG Chem pouch cells. Currently testing a batch of the CATL cells).
- BMS: Batrium (not yet purchased).
- Charger: TC 6.6kw (not yet purchased).
- DC/DC Converter: Undecided, the TC charger has DC out but very very low current. Not enough to run much but I'm not sure of load yet either.
- Cooling: Custom designed (by me) chill plates for battery packs.
Along with the standard EV components I've also replaced all of the wear components: polyurethane bushings, tie rod ends, steering ball joints, bearings, sway bar ends links, sway bars (at some point soon), tyres once running and brakes (willwood calipers, discs, brake lines all round). While the power increase won't be substantial from the ICE powerplant, sharpening up the handling to go along with the smooth power delivery should make for a much more enjoyable drive. This conversion is about efficiency and fun rather than outright power. Better use of what power you have in all circumstances.
A couple of photos of just after I purchased the car:
And another just before I moved, none of the ICE hardware in the chassis.