Cost to install 32A dedicated circuit

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
LouB
Groupie

Cost to install 32A dedicated circuit

Post by LouB »

I am currently getting quotes to install a dedicated 32A circuit for my Zappi EVSE.
Probably will require approx 20 M of 6mm (twin & earth TPS) cable and also some conduit because of metal house framing. I have priced a generous cable run, conduit, RCBO etc and can get the lot for under $200 AUD retail.

What do you think is a reasonable amt to pay an electrician?

That is: how much should I expect to pay, in total, for supplies, installation and required testing?

I don't think (or at least hope) that the switchboard will require upgrading.

Cheers
Lou
Bryce

Re: Cost to install 32A dedicated circuit

Post by Bryce »

Hi Lou - unfortunately what you are asking for is 'how long is a piece of string'! It can range between $600 and $10,000 depending on if/how much upgrade work is needed to supply 32A.
If you want a detailed consumer oriented info article on the ins & outs of installing an EVSE at home - see ReNew magazine, edition 143 (Apr-Jun 2018).
That will help quantify the issue for you.
BTW: the safety switches for them are not standards ones (depending on the brand of EVSE). They can be more than $200 on their own. :-(

Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB »

Thanks Bryce - Just what I was afraid of.

However, I had already read (and saved a copy) of the ReNew article. It's what made me believe that my switchboard might not need any drastic upgrade.
The Zappi EVSE (from myenergy.uk) should not require a special breaker as it comes with an integral 30mA RCD.

Perhaps I should have re-phrased my questions and asked: how much would a sparky charge, on average, for her/his labour and expertise. That is: leaving aside cost of components.

Once I receive some quotes I'll let the forum know what I'm up for.

Cheers
Lou
LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB »

As promised: here is my experience and cost of installing an 32A dedicated circuit to power a Zappi EVSE.
Besides purchase price of Zappi, total installation cost was $1900.

It was a somewhat complex job as our house is 2 storeys and cabling had to to be run some 25 M in total, up cavity walls to roof space and down same to garage.
Two guys worked 5 hours.

I had asked for something more than a standard installation because I wanted it to be future proof. To that end, I had 3 Phase cable installed, with an RCBO at the switch board and an isolator above the Zappi in the garage. For added safety all cabling in roof space was run inside conduit. Because we have 2 solar PV arrays, each on a separate phase and battery backup, it was also necessary to do some load rebalancing.

The present Zappi only works on single phase and so can only provide 7kW max charging. Future 3 phase models are promised that would increase charging rate to 22 kW. Though I can't see us actually needing a 22kW EVSE, but it's still nice to think that most of the required installation is already there.

Cheers
Lou
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Good planning. Now if you ever get a vehicle with 22 kW onboard, and you really need to be somewhere in a hurry, you can.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

LouB wrote: Sat, 22 Sep 2018, 11:26 As promised: here is my experience and cost of installing an 32A dedicated circuit to power a Zappi EVSE.
Hi LouB,

A heads up that the Zappi doesn't work correctly on three phase power as it doesn't correctly work out the net energy used across all three phases. I've been waiting for a firmware update for over nine months but still haven't received an update to fix it.

Sounds like you're the second person who has a Zappi in Australia with three phase.

When you test it for yourself and find it doesn't work in the Eco modes please contact Zappi and push to get them to work on the update. The Zappi could be a good product but in three phase homes it doesn't work properly at present in anything other than fast (non-solar aware) mode . All the menus to configure it exist but it just doesn't work. I'm using the Harvi with three phase clamps.

Cheers
dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

I've been told the 3 phase Zappi will be available in October / November.

I'm tempted to send my Zappi back and have myenergi send a replacement three phase unit as I have had it since December 2017 and it has never worked as a solar aware EVSE.
LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB »

Hi dgh853,

Yes - I have 3 phase supply to the house but, I am hoping that the Zappi will work for me. I have been careful to have it installed on a single phase (the same one that my main 6.48 kW solar PV is on). I would think that in this case the Zappi would not be even aware of the other two, unconnected, phases. Of course, I won't be able to test it properly for a couple of days yet. I should be taking delivery of a Renault Zoe on Tue 25 Sep when all should become clear.

Being an early adopter inevitably means dealing with uncertainties and extra expense. We are comforted by the thought that, in a very small way, these efforts are helping bring about the demise of coal fired generation and the burning of fossil fuels.

Cheers
Lou
LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB »

Hi dgh853,

I'm stiil waiting to pick up the EV but I've been comparing what appears on the Zappi screen with what I see from the Inverter. Like you, I have the wireless Harvi setup. I have only the one CT, that came with the Zappi, connected. After some fiddling with the Zappi settings, the display seems to be OK. I can see that the solar panels are sending power to house and that the house is exporting surplus power to the Grid. However, the value for exported/imported kWs (above the top right icon on Zappi display) differs wildly from that shown by the inverter.
Have ordered a couple of compatible (100A, split core, twin wire) CTs from eBay. Those from myenergi being way overpriced. A second CT on the output cable from solar will enable actual solar production and house consumption to be displayed.

I'll know more once I try charging an actual EV.

If you agree, I can PM you with all the details and settings from my system. Maybe, by comparing notes, we can nut out any problems together, or at least mount a concerted campaign for myenergi to speed up development and release of 3 phase Zappi, Hub and communications App. According to myenergi these releases are imminent, but no firm dates so far.

Cheers
Lou
dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

Hi Lou,

Happy to share Zappi settings but unless we can get the Zappi/Harvi to net across the three phases it won't work accurately. If the Zappi and solar are on the same phase for you and there is not much running on the other phases then it should be good enough. My solar is three phase.

myenergi will have to sort out the net reading across three phase before they release the three phase Zappi so i reckon the fix will come at the same time as the three phase Zappi Type 2.