Lead Crystal batteries for non-EV application?

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
rhills
Site Admin

Lead Crystal batteries for non-EV application?

Post by rhills » Thu, 12 Apr 2018, 15:25

Hi Guys,

In another forum I haunt, someone has asked about replacing existing AGM "house" batteries in a Recreational Vehicle with some "Lead Crystal" batteries.

From my brief reading, Lead Crystal batteries are the absolute beez neez and will cure everything from the common cold to AIDS. So, I am suspicious.

Given that house battery capacity in RVs is typically around the 200-400AH mark, weight is much less of an issue than it is in an EV and charge/discharge rates are less important than safe maximum discharge and life expectancy, are LC batteries a better alternative than Lithiums in this context? The other consideration here is charging. Typically an RV will have at least 3 different chargers for house and starter batteries (240V, Alternator and Solar Panels) and they usually have fairly simple starter/house battery separation systems that typically charge all batteries in parallel which I understand is not always the best plan if your starter battery is Lead-Acid and your house batteries are lithiums.

Has anyone in this forum had personal experience with Lead Crystal Batteries, or cause to test or research the claims made for them?

Cheers,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Jul 2014 - Jun 2018
Total Petrol: 586.8L
ODO: 42885
Av Consumption: 1.37 L/100km

Johny

Re: Lead Crystal batteries for non-EV application?

Post by Johny » Thu, 12 Apr 2018, 15:31

Snake oil. They're c$%p. Check some marine forums.
Edit: Treat any videos or posts by Martin Lorton with scepticism.
Last edited by Johny on Fri, 11 May 2018, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Fri, 11 May 2018, 06:35

I wouldn't dismiss the weight saving of lithium in a motorhome.

A smart all in one dc/dc converter - mains battery charger that can iron out alternator/mains power charging issues. Some can also Have PV inputs.

The only issue I can see with batterys and motor homes ( its the same issue for all batterys) is heat.

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry » Mon, 28 May 2018, 10:25

After being approached by a caravan owner at a very large RV get together in Wagga over Easter to check his battery set up I was less than enthusiastic after having had the same request from over 100 other attendees over the 7 day event. He then told me the van was 11 mths old and had lead crystal batteries installed from new, that got my attention :lol:
He had been running his car all day every day as well as the 500w of solar in an attempt to make it through to the end of the event and had even had to resort to a 40 amp charger powered by a newly purchased generator a few days before. the same story though, by 9pm the 12v compressor fridge cut out and all the lights cut out so back to torch light.
The lead acid batteries showed 14v while the 3 charging set ups were running, disconnect one at a time and still 14v. Disconnect all 3 and add a 60w light bulb as a load and 10.5v from one battery and 11v from the other two batteries. They were sulphated and now paper weights or door stops, just like so many other systems I'd checked.
Of all the lead acid battery systems that did come good after reprogramming their solar charge control it was predominantly flood cell batteries because they could handle an equalise charge that dislodged some of the sulphate coating on the plates. There were a lot of pregnant AGM batteries seen and a lot removed to a safe place because of the sulphur dioxide gas ( Rotten egg gas) stinking out the caravan or motorhome.

Just as a warning that some of my comments may be bias. I fit custom designed lithium battery systems to all types of RV's with a BMS system designed to interface any charging system the owner already has and any they want added. Been doing this for 7 yrs now mostly as a hobby to start with to collect as much on road data as possible so the system could be improved. My wife has now opened a business in Mannum SA called T1 Lithium to try and recoup some of the costs from my hobby and pay for the big "man shed" she bought me :lol: If you do a Google search under T1 Lithium I'm sure you will find her website. It is all her work so don't crucify me for any error or omissions, I thought it best she write it in her way because she reckons I get way to techo and loose everyone after a few mins ... and she is probably correct there :lol:

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

Johny

Post by Johny » Mon, 28 May 2018, 15:39

Thanks Terry. Great first hand info.