powerwalls

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
Adverse Effects

powerwalls

Post by Adverse Effects » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 09:11

a friend of mine has a roof top panels install that is putting enough back in to the grid that it has payed its $13760K install investment off in 6 years(late 2012) and has accrued about $6.4K in credit on top of it

so i explained about powerwalls to him and he wants one :-) (dont we all)

but i have no idea where to start looking for them in Brisbane QLD and what unit is the best bang for buck

he would like to end up only exporting to the grid and only drawing from it when its been cloudy for a days

any help would be good thanks

Rusdy
Groupie

Re: powerwalls

Post by Rusdy » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 14:33

What about SonnenFlat deal? Are you eligible (i.e. not with Ergon in QLD)?

I looked this up after installing my PW2 in WA. If I were eligible, I would definitely go with SonnenFlat, purely because it's more financially makes sense. In WA, the ROI is not yet there to buy PW2.

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 18:40

Rusdy wrote:
Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 14:33
What about SonnenFlat deal?
ahh what has "sonnenFlat" got to do with a powerwall battery?
What is sonnenFlat?

It is an energy tariff for sonnenBatterie owners. You receive a guaranteed annual allowance of energy for a low monthly fee and in return some of the energy stored in your sonnenBatterie will be used to assist in the stabilisation of the electricity grid resulting in reducing your energy bills.
i asked about a battery pack and you say look in to a power tariff

he pays $0 each bill and is making like $100 each time and should make alot more once he is running off battery's

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 23:10

I think you get a free battery when you sign up for that Tariff.

If your friend is making that much money from his power exports he is likely on a high feed in tariff, which may get cancelled if he installs a battery. I don't know what the situation is in Queensland, but he would need to look carefully at the terms, as a battery might make him less money.

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 23:32

mikedufty wrote:
Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 23:10
...If your friend is making that much money from his power exports he is likely on a high feed in tariff, which may get cancelled if he installs a battery. I don't know what the situation is in Queensland, but he would need to look carefully at the terms, as a battery might make him less money...
Exactly the situation here in WA and the very reason I'm holding off from getting batteries until our 10 year FIT expires.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Jul 2014 - Jun 2018
Total Petrol: 586.8L
ODO: 42885
Av Consumption: 1.37 L/100km

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Fri, 09 Mar 2018, 06:54

mikedufty wrote:
Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 23:10
If your friend is making that much money from his power exports he is likely on a high feed in tariff,
yes he is
which may get cancelled if he installs a battery.
hmm ok thank you i will get him to look at it

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 17:22

I installed an off grid 15.4kWh LYP battery pack, 5.6kW of solar and a 5kva inverter at a residence in Crystal Brook South Australia last yr. I had the sparkie wire up the mains into the inverter as a grid back up just in case there was a run of poo solar days. This residence already has a 10kW back to grid solar set up and the aim was to reduce the house load to improve the amount fed back to the grid and to keep the fridge/freezers running when the power dropped out. After a heap of mucking around it turns out that even though this solar does not feed into the grid, having any grid connected to this system at all made it grid tied and they would cut his feed in tariff. Now the mains have been disconnected from the off grid system to make it stand along and a 5.5kva generator is on the way to sit there just in case.
It seems they make up the rules as they go, this bloke was all for telling them to stick the whole thing up their jumper and he would go entirely off grid. That appears to have had the desired effect, if he was to go off grid and still have the lights on when others were in darkness after storms brought the lines down there could well be a stampede of others wanting to dump the grid as well.
Looks like it could be a popular thing in Qld after all the grid failures up that way recently :lol:

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn