Voltronic InfiniSolar Inverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
coulomb
Site Admin

Voltronic InfiniSolar Inverters

Post by coulomb » Fri, 01 Jul 2016, 00:17

This topic has developed into a "everything about Infinis" topic. The Voltronic Power Infini series is known by many other names, including the MPI Hybrid Series from MPPSolar.

I may put an index here if it grows large enough.

The good folks at the South African Power Forum tell us that Voltronic Power, the manufacturers of the PIP-4048 (which is also branded as Axpert 5KVA and several others), have announced a new series of hybrid inverters, the InfiniSolar V series, with the same MPPT front end as the PIP-4048. There are existing models that take a high voltage string, and there is a 5 kW model in that range released a few months ago, but it seems to be expensive and there have been reports of fan errors.

There are several models in the V series; the nominal 48 V models come in 3 kW, 4 kW, and 5 kW models. (The PIP-4048 is specified as 5 kVA, 4 kW, so the highest power V series model has 25% more real power than the highest power PIP-4048.)

In the user's manual, I see many of the same settings as with the PIP-4048, but with additional settings for grid tie output. As far as I can tell, there is only one inverter in these machines, so if the grid fails, it seems to me that the loads would have to be interrupted for a fraction of a second while the grid relay drops out, the inverter recovers from attempting to drive the whole grid (it would presumably see a massive overload for a short time), reconfigures itself for stand-alone operation, and starts powering the loads again.

The main benefit of this type of inverter would appear to be using the grid to take any excess solar power; better 6c per kWh (or whatever you can get) than nothing at all. You could also support a large load (e.g. ducted air conditioner, electric oven) than what your inverter can handle, with whatever solar power you have at the time. For example: a 3 kW air conditioner plus 3 kW oven, total 6 kW and difficult to start, and you happen to have 4 kW of solar available. 4 kW of that load can come from the PV via the grid-tied inverter, and you are only charged for 2 kW. Depending on the time of day and your tariff details, your battery's SOC, and your preferences, it might even be worth supplying some of that 2 kW from batteries. With a PIP-4048, such heavy loads would probably connected directly to the grid, so you'd be paying 100% of those loads, even if the battery was full and plenty of solar power was available.

Whether such situations would come up often enough to justify such a machine remains to be seen, and I have not yet seen a price for the InfiniSolar V series.
Last edited by coulomb on Thu, 30 Jun 2016, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Learning how to patch and repair PIP-4048 inverter-chargers and Elcon chargers.

coulomb
Site Admin

Voltronic InfiniSolar V series

Post by coulomb » Fri, 01 Jul 2016, 16:13

Weber pointed out to me in email that these inverters are not approved for connection in Australia. So unless Giant Power (or someone else) goes through the approval process, this is likely to be of academic interest only to most of us.

I did notice one Giant Power hybrid model (rebranded Voltronic Power), so it's not impossible that this might happen in the future. [ Edit: Giant Power seem to have moved away from individual inverter sales and support. ]

Thanks, Weber.

sklods
Noobie

Re: Voltronic InfiniSolar V series

Post by sklods » Fri, 05 Jan 2018, 17:43

I have 2 Voltronic InfiniSolar V series 4k inverters in parallel.
When it work in On Grid mode and feed energy to the Grid, does it take it from accumulators and PV panels?
If so how I can set parameters for feeding Grid only from Pv panels and not from accumulator?

Ibiza
Noobie

Re: Voltronic InfiniSolar V series

Post by Ibiza » Tue, 09 Jan 2018, 15:03

Hi @sklods , there is a South African Power forum with some members running InfiniSolar V who will be able to give you an advice how to program your inverters.

cristof
Noobie

Re: Voltronic InfiniSolar Inverters

Post by cristof » Sun, 28 Jan 2018, 04:04

Hi everybody,
first please apologize for my poor english. (I al French)
I have, since december 2017 a MPP solar inverter. It's a 5.5KW MPI serie . This model have two MPPT input (hight voltage MPPT (range 120 to 450 VDC), it's the same as Voltronic InfiniSolar E 5.5KW. I have Solar Power as Software.
As I can't find any forum for it, I post in this one.
One of the MPPT input is dedicated to a Micro hydro turbine with permanant magnet alternator. it's a 3 phase generator, and I use a 3 phase rectifier to convert to DC.
Many people witch are using permanant magnet generator use solar MPPT controler for battery charging.
When I have received the hybrid inverter, it was imposible to connect the software. I was able to send few commands with CommAssistant.exe. After contact with MPP Solar support team, they had to remote control the unit and have changed the serial number with commassistant.Now I can connect the Software.
Now I have a new probleme, I did not saw it before. There is a parameter, I can't change it as I need "factory password", this parameter is "Maximum feed-in grid power" and it's set to 100W. Doest it mean that I can't feed more than 100W into the grid ?
I have also a probleme with the Hydro turbine . The turbine is set to provide around 350W, when I connect 350w bulb, it's working and I can read in 2 multimeter 220W / 1,6A.
But when I connect to hybrid inverter MPPT input,it show only around 100W in the software (PV 1 input power), and turbine increase speed as if she was connected to a small load. I have ordered a few 470uf/450V capacitor, may be the mppt input is disturb with non filtering AC
Does anybody can help me ?
Merci à tous

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Sun, 28 Jan 2018, 18:58

cristof wrote:
Sun, 28 Jan 2018, 04:04
I have, since december 2017 a MPP solar inverter. It's a 5.5KW MPI serie . This model have two MPPT input (hight voltage MPPT (range 120 to 450 VDC), it's the same as Voltronic InfiniSolar E 5.5KW. I have Solar Power as Software.
That's rather different to the inverters discussed in the PIP-4048 and PIP-5048 topic: it's grid interactive, it has a dual MPPT, and the MPPTs are higher voltage.
Now I have a new probleme, I did not saw it before. There is a parameter, I can't change it as I need "factory password", this parameter is "Maximum feed-in grid power" and it's set to 100W. Doest it mean that I can't feed more than 100W into the grid ?
You may be able to get the factory password here: http://powerforum.co.za/topic/326-infin ... -password/
But they also warn that using the factory password voids warranty.
I have also a probleme with the Hydro turbine . The turbine is set to provide around 350W, when I connect 350w bulb, it's working and I can read in 2 multimeter 220W / 1,6A.
But when I connect to hybrid inverter MPPT input,it show only around 100W in the software (PV 1 input power), and turbine increase speed as if she was connected to a small load. I have ordered a few 470uf/450V capacitor, may be the mppt input is disturb with non filtering AC
I don't expect that the filter capacitors will make much difference; there is only about 6% ripple on rectified three-phase. However, 220 W @ 1.6 A is about 138 V, which is near the low end of the MPPT range. Maybe the slight extra voltage from the filter capacitors will help get more power into the MPPT charge controller. But it may be that the design of the charge controller is just not suitable for wind turbines.

Vissie
Noobie

Post by Vissie » Fri, 12 Oct 2018, 16:32

INFINISOLAR SolarHybrid Inverter. Grid tie
2KW / 3KW PLUS
This one is labelled Growatt 3000HY
Good day. Does anybody have an idea where I can get diagrams on this inverter. The service manual does not cover any of the switched power supplies. I have 2 of them blown .One that is blown is the grid SPS on the Dc Dc board and the other one is a standoff board also on the dc dc board.
There are some surface mount resistors that are blown and I have to guess the values.
I guess the resistor from cap negative to source of the fet will be a low value like 0.5 ohm.

I still cannot post photos. It worked the first time I posted only. If I press on image it only insert text like this [image=][/image]
Can somebody help please?

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Fri, 12 Oct 2018, 17:26

Vissie wrote:
Fri, 12 Oct 2018, 16:32
Does anybody have an idea where I can get diagrams on this inverter. The service manual does not cover any of the switched power supplies.
Do you have this manual? It has basic schematics for several power supplies: https://powerforum.co.za/files/file/10- ... -inverter/ .
I have 2 of them blown .One that is blown is the grid SPS on the Dc Dc board and the other one is a standoff board also on the dc dc board.
I'm pretty sure that at least the latter one has a basic schematic in the above mentioned service manual.
There are some surface mount resistors that are blown and I have to guess the values.
I guess the resistor from cap negative to source of the fet will be a low value like 0.5 ohm.
I happen to have an Infini 3K Plus temporarily, for evaluation. Its operational status is unknown, but nothing appears to be blown. So if you can give me some parts designators (e.g. R19), I can try and read or measure them.
I still cannot post photos. It worked the first time I posted only. If I press on image it only insert text like this [image=][/image]
The img and image tags are for images already hosted elsewhere. To have a new image appear, you need to use the attachment tab (use the browser scrollbar to show the Options and Attachments tabs), and use the Add files button. Or drag an image file name to the editor window. You still have to scroll down past the "Add files" button to see the file name, and use the Place Inline button to put it at the cursor. If you don't use the Place inline button, the image will still be at the end of the post as an attachment, as in this post. The Preview button will show the images in the preview.
Attachments
199381_01_Voltronic_Power-InfiniSolarSuper4KW_Top_sm.jpg
199381_01_Voltronic_Power-InfiniSolarSuper4KW_Top_sm.jpg (30.63 KiB) Viewed 507 times

cristof
Noobie

Post by cristof » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 02:41

Hello everyone,
escuse me for my bad english this is a Google translation.
10 months ago I bought a MPPSOLAR MPI 5.5KW hybrid inverter. this inverter is the same as the model from infiny solar voltronic power. After a few days of operation, it broke down, error 6. After long discussions with MPP SOLAR, I received a new inverter, the same model. the second comes in turn to break down with the same error code 6. This error code corespond to a temperature error in the charger part (DC to DC board). Whenever they broke down the charger did not charge more than 25A at 62V DC. my batteries are lithium ion, 15S. I found that on the first board DC to DC, one of the MOSFET was exploded (IRFB7730).
On the 2nd board the MOSFETs are of another model (CSD19505KCS).
On the 2nd board, the Mosfets did not explode, but transil 5KP54A diodes located next to the MOSFETs were disbursed from the board and fell into the bottom of the case. When I looked at the data, I noticed that the temperature had risen to 102 ° C, and this in a few seconds.
MPP SOLAR, asked me for photos of the board, and replied that he was going to see with the engineers, but since 10 days, no news, I sent a new email, but no answer for now.

‌Do you think I can fix the boards? I can buy MOSFETs and transil diodes, but without any diagrams I do not know if there are other parts to change.
Someone can help me.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 09:20

cristof wrote:
Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 02:41
escuse me for my bad english this is a Google translation.
It's quite readable, no problem.
10 months ago I bought a MPPSOLAR MPI 5.5KW hybrid inverter. this inverter is the same as the model from infiny solar voltronic power. After a few days of operation, it broke down, error 6.

For other readers, this is the over temperature fault code.
After long discussions with MPP SOLAR, I received a new inverter, the same model. the second comes in turn to break down with the same error code 6. This error code corespond to a temperature error in the charger part (DC to DC board). Whenever they broke down the charger did not charge more than 25A at 62V DC. my batteries are lithium ion, 15S.
I take it from the 62 V you mention that these are not LiFePO₄ lithium iron phosphate (LFP), but rather one of the other lithium chemistries that charges to some 4.1 VPC. 4.10 x 15 = 61.5 V, which is very high for a nominally 48 V battery. These inverters are designed for lead acid batteries; the "Features" tab of xxx states "Compatible with mainstream VRLA lead acid batteries (48v only)". Usually this chemistry, when used with off grid inverters (the only ones I'm really familiar with) are used in 14S configuration, not 15S. I suspect that this is the root of your problems; the battery voltage at end of charge is too high for the charger MOSFETs and associated circuit.
I found that on the first board DC to DC, one of the MOSFET was exploded (IRFB7730).
This is a 75 V MOSFET, the same voltage (but different part number) to the original MOSFETs found in the off grid inverters. These were limited to under 60 VDC; you could not even set the absorb ("CV") voltage setting to higher than 58.4 V. So pushing these devices higher, even though the user manual specifications say 63 V, seems unwise.
On the 2nd board the MOSFETs are of another model (CSD19505KCS).
Those are at least rated to 80 V.

We recommend upgrading the capacitors in the off-grid models to 80 V long life parts, and the MOSFETs to 100 V parts. So you can see how low your operating margin would have been.
On the 2nd board, the Mosfets did not explode, but transil 5KP54A diodes located next to the MOSFETs were disbursed from the board and fell into the bottom of the case. When I looked at the data, I noticed that the temperature had risen to 102 ° C, and this in a few seconds.
These seem to be transient voltage devices, with a "nominal" voltage of 54 V. Datasheet here. They seem to start conducting (5 mA) at 60.0 - 66.3 V, and clamp fully at 87.1 V. It's possible that devices near the lower end of the breakdown voltage range (60.0 V) would overheat when subjected to 61.5 V or 62.0 V for extended time. You could say that this is poor design, or at least misleading advertising (the specification "DC voltage range 40-63 V).
Do you think I can fix the boards? I can buy MOSFETs and transil diodes, but without any diagrams I do not know if there are other parts to change.
Someone can help me.
I happened to have a 3 kW model for observation recently, and could not find a good service manual. I did find one, which even included some schematic diagrams, but they were not detailed at all, they were more of an overview. I also found it confusing how there seemed to be so many power supplies, and what looked to be the "main" power supply had no schematic overview at all. I decided that there wasn't enough detail to perform a repair when the customer would be paying. I did not find a better service manual. Perhaps MPPSolar will send you a service manual specific to your model, perhaps as a way of "shutting up" a difficult customer. Whatever works. It's so frustrating that these things aren't more readily available any more, with the advent of the unlicensed clones.

If you do manage to find a service manual, please post it here, assuming you aren't told not to do that. If you can't find one, the schematics aren't all that difficult to trace, just time consuming. I've done bits and pieces for the off-grid 5 kVA models.

You may find features in common with the off-grid models, so check the index of our PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS Inverters topic. In particular, you'll need to check the gate drivers for the MOSFETs, and associated components. These often fail when the MOSFETs melt; the gate shorts to the drain and/or source, leading to massive overloads.

Good luck.

cristof
Noobie

Post by cristof » Sat, 27 Oct 2018, 04:58

thank you Coulomb for your answer, today I am a little desperate, all my setup is based on this inverter, and it is not easy to find another model. I hope I will have a quick response from MPP Solar, but I doubt they will take care of my problem