SolarCoin

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
TooQik
Groupie

SolarCoin

Post by TooQik » Sat, 16 Apr 2016, 19:06

Thought I'd bring SolarCoin to people's attention for anyone who's not aware of it and may have an interest in digital currencies.

You can find heaps of information and the SolarCoin wallet here:

SolarCoin

Basically the coin is designed to reward generation of electricity via PV installations to owners. For each MWh of electricity generated you receive one SolarCoin.

I'd been looking at trying my hand at digital currencies for a while before I found out about SolarCoin. It's different from other alt coins in that the underlying value of the coin represents an actual contribution to renewable energy generation.

My own personal goal for this coin is to be able to use it to purchase a larger PV system down the track. I haven't actually claimed any coins from my current PV system, rather I installed the wallet during the proof-of-work (PoW) stage and I now have a small laptop running 24/7 staking coins to contribute to the network.
Last edited by TooQik on Sat, 16 Apr 2016, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

jonescg

SolarCoin

Post by jonescg » Sun, 17 Apr 2016, 06:36

Be curious to see how this goes for you.
Oh, and how's that conversion going - you must be close?
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

TooQik
Groupie

SolarCoin

Post by TooQik » Sun, 17 Apr 2016, 07:10

Hey Chris, yes, time will tell with the SolarCoin prices, but it's a 40 year project and the price is slowly creeping in the right direction - currently sitting at $0.08 AUD per coin - more than some people would be getting for their feed in tariff, so definitely worth a look. The projected price is $20 USD per coin.

Conversion is going painfully slow, as evident by my lack of updates on my build post. Work related issues, delays in parts and hold ups with outsourced work have been holding me back unfortunately. It's frustrating but I hope to have it completed by the end of this year at THE very latest.
Last edited by TooQik on Sat, 16 Apr 2016, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.

TooQik
Groupie

SolarCoin

Post by TooQik » Sun, 17 Apr 2016, 16:23

TooQik wrote:currently sitting at $0.08 AUD per coin - more than some people would be getting for their feed in tariff
I should correct my above comment, $0.08 AUD is for 1 MWh of generated electricity, not 1 kWh as the feed in tariffs would be paying, so the feed in tariffs are paying much more than the current coin value.

I should probably refrain from typing replies at 1 am just before I go to bed Image
Last edited by TooQik on Sun, 17 Apr 2016, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.