Green Newbie PIP2424MSX advice

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
PeterMatthews
Noobie

Post by PeterMatthews »

Hi, I currently have a project using a PIP2424mSX & 18650 cells. I'm halfway through being totally overwhelmed on the PIP4848 thread.

Long story short - will I burn my house down if I charge the 18650 cells with my pip (all research says yes I will so far) Just though I would ask the question since there appears to be a wealth of knowledge here.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

PeterMatthews wrote: Hi, I currently have a project using a PIP2424mSX & 18650 cells. I'm halfway through being totally overwhelmed on the PIP4848 thread.
Hi, Peter.
Long story short - will I burn my house down if I charge the 18650 cells with my pip (all research says yes I will so far).
It depends on the type of 18650 cells. If they are LiFePO4 chemistry, you should be fine as far as fire safety is concerned, depending on your BMS arrangements. If it's a Lithium Cobalt variant, you need to be very careful. I'm not familiar with how to charge them safely; perhaps others will comment on that once we know what your cell chemistry is.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
PeterMatthews
Noobie

Post by PeterMatthews »

They are old laptop batteries lithium Ion Cells 1120 of them :)
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

PeterMatthews wrote: They are old laptop batteries lithium Ion Cells 1120 of them :)

Wow. I strongly recommend that you don't merely connect them up in say 7S and 160P and hope for the best. I know that Tesla do more or less just that, but they have uniform high performance cells, fuses, a very special battery management system, and the resources of a billion dollar company.

Read widely about this. I don't think that there will be a practical way to charge that sort of battery from a PIP designed for lead acid batteries, but there may be. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but laptop style cells are dangerous when not handled properly. Search YouTube for videos of electric skateboards catching fire, then imagine a thousand cells doing that (a skateboard might have 6 or 12 cells).
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

you would have to charge and discharge every cell to get its capacity so you can match them up then i would be adding a 2C fuse wire on each cell that way if one fails it will remove its self from the pack (just like tesla)

where did you get so many 18650 and how cheep? i am looking for a bunch to make a battery for my RC lawnmower and other projects i am working on but i am on a pension so this is why i scavenge most of my parts
PeterMatthews
Noobie

Post by PeterMatthews »

Only thing I don't have is a billion dollar company and VERY special BMS :)

constantly reading and asking questions (here for example)
This is exactly what I want to hear & I fully understand the dangers.

Might do small scale long term test with a PCM60x first - don't want do be unsafe but still want to complete the project :)

Major concern is the charge profile I can set the 60x to 14.7v (29.4v) that will give me 4.2v per 'cell'. set bulk, float & balance charge to the same setting. Time will tell if it was a bad idea or a genius one (I'm betting bad)

Any hints on charger other than a Selectronic SP PRO unit that will charge & invert my power ?
Last edited by PeterMatthews on Sun, 13 Mar 2016, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
PeterMatthews
Noobie

Post by PeterMatthews »

EVERY cell has been tested rested & retested :) I have quite a few videos I've posted how ever I'm not here to promote my YT channel I'm here for genuine general support.

I have now tested +1600 cells in the past 4 months and have another 200 cells here to start testing tomorrow.

So far cells have cost less than $150 but I'm in the industry and have plenty of friends :) I have called recycle centres, computer stores, tip shops, auction houses, xgoverment places, wrecking yards, tool shops, eBay stores that sell batteries etc - I've left no stone unturned.

In two weeks time I'll post a video of it after new prototype rack mounts have been completed and it's all kinda hanging on the wall.
PeterMatthews
Noobie

Post by PeterMatthews »

how long does it typically take to have a pending post approve?

pete
PeterMatthews
Noobie

Post by PeterMatthews »

SO, not worth taking part in this forum I guess. Pitty, content is outstanding..
evric
Site Admin

Post by evric »

Sorry Peter,
I have now approved your posts. I will try and keep an eye on them.
You only need to have 30 posts to get to the non-moderated status.
Eric
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Hi Pete,
PeterMatthews wrote: how long does it typically take to have a pending post approve?
You may not be aware that this forum is maintained by volunteers who don't always have 24 hours available in the day to devote to it. We do try and approve moderated posts as quickly as possible.

The only reason we have to moderate newcomers is to try and stem the flow of spammers attempting to join, sometimes 2 or 3 a day.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
PeterMatthews
Noobie

Post by PeterMatthews »

Have to totally agree with moderation IT"S REQUIRED - :) just was frustrate sorry.

pete
zimnismoboy34
Noobie

Post by zimnismoboy34 »

Hi there peter sounds like your on the right track alot of other yt channels doing the same as you though i.feel that getting the right float voltage on those cells is key to getting your project successfull.
And you need find what their resting.voltage is and match the inverters float at the same voltage as number of cells x resting voltage ie x 3.625v
Then once its set what then cells maybe use a shunt and monitor the amount of current the pack draws at float and keep an eye on voltages .

Not so sure that inverter is the right one for the job though you could go bmsless and bottom balance all the packs . But that is a whole new debate.
PeterMatthews
Noobie

Post by PeterMatthews »

Hi thanks for your response :)

Is all up and running now and seems my initial concerns were overkill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vrEG7Nzxoo that's the project if any one is interested - now 48v with 20kwh of storage
Richo

Post by Richo »

So you have about 2,000 new cells?

So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
PeterMatthews
Noobie

Post by PeterMatthews »

2240 used cells sorted from more than 6000 cells over the past 10 months. With 3 x that planed for the near future.
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

PeterMatthews wrote: Hi thanks for your response :)

welcome to the forum :-)
PeterMatthews
Noobie

Post by PeterMatthews »

Been reading for months :)