Tritium fast chargers

Discussion about EV/Battery charging infrastructure, Electric highways etc.
offgridQLD

Tritium fast chargers

Post by offgridQLD »

Is this just a prop for the webpage photo or do we now have one at the Kangaroo point cliff cafe?....do I need to take a drive today and check?

http://tritium.com.au/products/veefil/

There was talk that several would be installed around SEQ before the G20 (that's just one week away) has it happened?

The Courier-Mail July 09, 2014 1:53PM "The company plans to roll the chargers out here as part of its fast cities network for Brisbane - with half a dozen to be operational before the G20 meeting in November."

Kurt.

[ Edit Coulomb: I believe that the image would have been this one, extracted from archive.org:

Veefil at Kangaroo Point.jpg
Veefil at Kangaroo Point.jpg (123 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
Placed in front of the iconic "the cliffs" cafe sign (covered with a board in the above):

]
Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 05 Nov 2014, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.
whimpurinter

Tritium fast chargers

Post by whimpurinter »

Hi Kurt,
I just went to the Kangaroo Point cafe area on my red vectrix and there is no fast charger there.
offgridQLD

Tritium fast chargers

Post by offgridQLD »

Yep, looking at the pics on there web page they all look like they are just cut and pasted onto the photos. Or perhaps a dummy unit they just sit there and take the pic.

Thanks for checking anyhow.

So I wonder what happened to the 6 units before the G20.

Kurt
Adverse Effects

Tritium fast chargers

Post by Adverse Effects »

isnt that false advertising? and that is illegal isnt it?

and i wonder if they have the rights to use thos pic's
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Wed, 05 Nov 2014, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD

Tritium fast chargers

Post by offgridQLD »

Hey I'm trying to be positive. I'm not to worried abut the advertising illegality or the like.

Just would have been nice to see them pop up around the place. I know they are not that practical in the CBD (unless you get stuck with time deadline and a flat EV) Then they would be handy then to pop in for a fast charge. But hey even if they weren't in the ideal locations out of town. Seeing 6 pop up around the place would have been some forward movement towards EV's and Ev fast charging.

Shame if it doesn't go ahead that was all and I wonder why it didn't happen? Or did it and we all just missed the locations?

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 05 Nov 2014, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
PlanB

Tritium fast chargers

Post by PlanB »

Range anxiety is one thing, charger disappointment is another. Pulled into Sydney's only chademo Sunday night with just 20km left on the Leaf GOM only to find the beast yet again offline. Sure hope the Tritium units enjoy more uptime for you northerners.
EV2Go

Tritium fast chargers

Post by EV2Go »

offgridQLD wrote: Hey I'm trying to be positive. I'm not to worried abut the advertising illegality or the like.

Just would have been nice to see them pop up around the place. I know they are not that practical in the CBD (unless you get stuck with time deadline and a flat EV) Then they would be handy then to pop in for a fast charge. But hey even if they weren't in the ideal locations out of town. Seeing 6 pop up around the place would have been some forward movement towards EV's and Ev fast charging.

Shame if it doesn't go ahead that was all and I wonder why it didn't happen? Or did it and we all just missed the locations?

Kurt

You may not be worried but if someone is falsely promoting something that doesn't exit, that concerns me about their believability and their product in general.

I could just as easily show a picture of a fuel tank gauge on empty and 10,000klms on the clock and say it will be in place by next week. How much are people going to believe me when next week comes and there is no magic car in sight, and the whole thing has been staged with photos.

POOR FORM I SAY!!!

Edit:
Also makes me question their current products now...
And yes you can take it as a given that I am annoyed when people falsely advertise like this.
Last edited by EV2Go on Wed, 05 Nov 2014, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD

Tritium fast chargers

Post by offgridQLD »

Well I don't know much about about them just don't want to sl*g off company's until all the facts are on the table.

I guess it's there good will to put the 6 fast chargers in as a promotion tool for them with the chance for Ev drivers to benefit from them. So not sure how we can complain if the decide not to as we didn't pay anything for them.

Or am I missing something and they have been giving a government grant?

Perhaps there was some technicality that held it up ( council or supply infrastructure) ?

That's why I started the thread.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 05 Nov 2014, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
TooQik
Groupie

Tritium fast chargers

Post by TooQik »

The website shows a promotional shot of their charger at an undisclosed location, this is not false advertising as they're not claiming to have installed anything. Generic pictures like this are used everyday for product promotion to give a prospective buyer an idea of what it might look like, nothing more.

Now if they'd shown the site or location name in the picture, rather than having someone recognise the location, and claimed to have a unit installed there, then you might have some reason to question why it's no longer installed.
Last edited by TooQik on Wed, 05 Nov 2014, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Adverse Effects

Tritium fast chargers

look in the back ground

across a river and looking at very distinct buildings in Brisbane city

gee wonder where that pic is showing hmmmm

i havent been at Kangaroo point cliffs in about 8 years and i new where the pic was taken

down the TAFE (is it still there?)end of the cliffs
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Wed, 05 Nov 2014, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD

Tritium fast chargers

Post by offgridQLD »

"The website shows a promotional shot of their charger at an undisclosed location, this is not false advertising as they're not claiming to have installed anything. Generic pictures like this are used everyday for product promotion to give a prospective buyer an idea of what it might look like, nothing more.

Now if they'd shown the site or location name in the picture, rather than having someone recognise the location, and claimed to have a unit installed there, then you might have some reason to question why it's no longer installed."

Yes, I agree with that it's much the same as what I was thinking so wasn't to fussed about the advertising pics. Just want to know if they are installing 6 chargers (for real) and if not what happened.

Perhaps just talking to them and asking what there plan is it the best option.

Kurt
EV2Go

Tritium fast chargers

Post by EV2Go »

TooQik wrote: The website shows a promotional shot of their charger at an undisclosed location, this is not false advertising as they're not claiming to have installed anything. Generic pictures like this are used everyday for product promotion to give a prospective buyer an idea of what it might look like, nothing more.

Now if they'd shown the site or location name in the picture, rather than having someone recognise the location, and claimed to have a unit installed there, then you might have some reason to question why it's no longer installed.
If you have a shot taken of what is supposed to be a fixed piece of infrastructure at a known location (or unknown) and it isn't actually there and use it to promote a service or product, I would deem that to be misleading the public.

And when you see those photo showing an artists impression of what new building might look like, or what a new model car might look like, more often than not it includes a disclaiming stating that it isn't of the actual product. i.e. overseas model shown in the disclaimer.

Without a disclaimer to me it appears to be a deliberate attempt to mislead the public into believing the company is in a more progressed state than it really is.

That would be like a bank having one ATM and moving it from place to place and claiming they have a 1000 ATM sites, it is a deliberate misrepresentation of the truth.

Last edited by EV2Go on Wed, 05 Nov 2014, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
TooQik
Groupie

Tritium fast chargers

Post by TooQik »

Adverse Effects wrote:look in the back ground

across a river and looking at very distinct buildings in Brisbane city

gee wonder where that pic is showing hmmmm
I'm not from Brisbane, so for any non local it's simply a picture of their product with a backdrop and the location is unknown as there is nothing in the picture or a caption to indicate where it is.
offgridQLD wrote:Perhaps just talking to them and asking what there plan is it the best option.
Definitely sounds like the best way to find out what the plans are. Are Tritium setting up their own charging network or are they selling the product to a third party network? I would assume the later given the information on their website.
EV2Go wrote:If you have a shot taken of what is supposed to be a fixed piece of infrastructure at a known location (or unknown) and it isn't actually there and use it to promote a service or product, I would deem that to be misleading the public.
I agree with you to a point but I think you're reading into the intent of the picture on the website. If they're making a claim to have units installed and operational and name the location(s) but there's actually nothing installed, then yes it's misleading and questionable conduct.

It's interesting that you mention ATMs, as I work in this industry for an independent deployer. ATM manufacturers use pictures like this all the time in their brochures and on their websites to shown their products. Most times they are not installed at the locations the pictures show - they are simply an indication of how one could look installed and often they are designed to show different options for installations.

I would also argue that the manufacturer is not responsible for the location or placement of their product, as the units are generally sold to third party networks and, even though considered fixed infrastructure, they will be moved from time to time.

I think the more important questions here for the locals in Brisbane are;
  • Who is actually setting up the network that offgridQLD is asking about?
  • And when is it likely to happen?
Last edited by TooQik on Thu, 06 Nov 2014, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.
Adverse Effects

Tritium fast chargers

yes but as a said befor do they have the rights to use the pic's?

as for the "lots of others do it" there are a hell of a lot of murders in jail so i can do it?

if they have "plans to install 6 of them" why not use the pics of where they realy will go?
jonescg

Tritium fast chargers

Post by jonescg »

Adverse, do you get this worked up about other inconsistencies in life? Like a missing street sign or the absence of pretty girls in a town despite the tourist brochure's assurances? Your hyperbole has surpassed the amusing and entered the absurd.

Seriously man, if it bugs you that much call up Tritium and take them to task.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
Adverse Effects

Tritium fast chargers

i have 1 thing i try to live by (i hate lie's in any form)

"say what you mean, mean what you say"

i asked a simple question's and you call me "absurd" ?

i would call that a personal attack and your bailing me up for simply asking a question?
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Thu, 06 Nov 2014, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
reecho

Tritium fast chargers

Post by reecho »

Meh.......I get both sides of the argument here.

In other countries like to good ol' US of A they would likely get into strife...and thats because a lot of people have far too much time on their hands and like to sue.

A small disclaimer in the bottom corner discreetly saying "example installation" or similar would shut everybody up and we would move onto the next thing.

Thats not to say that nobody else does this. You see it all the time. The problem is Oz is a small place and we recognise places almost immediately.

I for one want these guys to succeed just as I want us to have at least a twinkle of local manufacturing left in this country.

Hell they could take a photo of the unit in Perth at UWA in a few weeks time......for realz...

Last edited by reecho on Thu, 06 Nov 2014, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
jonescg

Tritium fast chargers

Post by jonescg »

Adverse Effects wrote: i asked a simple question's and you call me "absurd" ?

i would call that a personal attack and your bailing me up for simply asking a question?

No, I called your comparison absurd. Declaring an image of an example product on display as 'intentionally misleading advertising' is what I call hyperbole. Extending the comparison to murder made it absurd.

Sure, they could have put some text below the image saying "Serving suggestion", but as we've determined, they're not actual charger locations, just pretty pictures. If they had said "You can get a charge here" that would be misleading.

Kurt - I recall reading about the G20 charger roll out too, but it was never clear if this was due to a contract or whether they were just going to be displaying a few in prominent Brisbane locations. In any case I hope they get a few installed soon.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
Adverse Effects

Tritium fast chargers

well i just looked back at all i said and no where did i say 'intentionally misleading advertising'

i did ask
isnt that false advertising? and that is illegal isnt it?
and
do they have the rights to use the pic's?
but that isnt accusing them of 'intentionally misleading advertising'

that is questions not accusations

'intentionally misleading advertising' is every infomercial on TV after 10PM at night
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Thu, 06 Nov 2014, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD

Tritium fast chargers

Post by offgridQLD »

"
Kurt - I recall reading about the G20 charger roll out too, but it was never clear if this was due to a contract or whether they were just going to be displaying a few in prominent Brisbane locations. In any case I hope they get a few installed soon. "

"The Courier-Mail July 09, 2014 1:53PM "The company plans to roll the chargers out here as part of its fast cities network for Brisbane - with half a dozen to be operational before the G20 meeting in November."

The above particularly the words "operational" makes me think they had plans to install 6 functioning chargers before the G20.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Thu, 06 Nov 2014, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
localpower
Noobie

Tritium fast chargers

Post by localpower »

perhaps they want to announce the locations next week around the G20?

perhaps they intended to install 6 but couldn't get locations or get the business case to work? if so it would be a shame, but nothing illegal.
Local Power
PV Solar in Brisbane
http://localpower.net.au
Gabz

Tritium fast chargers

Post by Gabz »

Last I emailed them they were discovering council are slow and business have too many people to liaise with.

Sometimes it looks like we can't even give infrastructure away.
Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/
ElectricAutos
Noobie

Tritium fast chargers

Post by ElectricAutos »

Who operates the Sydney DC charging station? Charge Point?
PlanB

Tritium fast chargers

Post by PlanB »

Strathfield Chademo owned & operated by the NRMA as far as I know
Gabz

Tritium fast chargers

Post by Gabz »

so the G20 starts friday and all i've seen is more plans from veefil but no chargers yet.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/11 ... itium.html

Probably a good plan, can't really comment haven't driven qld much.
Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/