PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
arnolde73
Noobie

Re: PIP-4048MS and PIP-5048MS inverters

Post by arnolde73 »

coulomb wrote: Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 06:43 PV power is pvCurrent multiplied by battery voltage, not PV voltage. The reported "PV current" is battery-side current, not PV-side current as most users expect.
Multiplying battery voltage with solar panel current is about as much good as multiplying the weather with a stock index... they have little to do with each other. The incoming solar power is the PV string voltage times string current, that goes into the MPPT logic (or better: The MPPT adjusts the current so as to maximize I*U) and the battery gets battVoltage*battCurrent to charge, which should be PV_Power minus load and inverter losses (heat).

If my solar string (280W panels 3S4P) is delivering 125V at 8A (1000W) the battery is getting i.e. 20A at 50V = 1000W (minus maybe 50W losses, with no load). So if pvPower (SCC) is pvCurrent * battVoltage, that would be 8A*50V=400W which is complete bullshit. Are you sure thats the case?

Or did you mean, the SCC pvPower is battVoltage*battCurrent(both as coming from SCC)? Then at least that reading would make sense.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

arnolde73 wrote: Sat, 15 Dec 2018, 22:55 Or did you mean, the SCC pvPower is battVoltage*battCurrent(both as coming from SCC)?
Yes, obviously I didn't make myself clear. The so-called "PV input current for battery" or "PV input current 1" [ edit: was "PV current" ] reported by the inverter is actually the SCC output current. [ Edit: I unhelpfully said "In later manuals, this is changed to "MPPT charging current", which is a little clearer.", but that's misleading. The LCD always showed net battery current, i.e. charge source current minus battery load curent. ] It's possible that the PIP MPPT algorithm tries to maximise output current, instead of the usual panel power, so they don't bother measuring panel current at all.

[ Edit: panel current -> panel power. ]
[ Edit: more corrections interspersed, sigh. ]
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
daimyo
Groupie

Post by daimyo »

Hi everybody,

I finally get to login... have learned a lot from this forum... GREAT thanks to everybody and especially site Admins.

I am from Croatia and I have 3 PIP MS4840 in parallel, and 21 250W solar panels.

Currently I am on 72.70 FW and it works great for now. Thinking to upgrade to 73.00e.

Hope that I may help someone someday as You have helped me.

Sorry for bad english and best regards. ;)
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

daimyo wrote: Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 05:57 Hi everybody,
Welcome.
Currently I am on 72.70 FW and it works great for now. Thinking to upgrade to 73.00e.
If your question is whether this is possible, the answer is yes. Any genuine Voltronic Power inverter running 72.70 can enjoy the benefits of 73.00d (latest release) or 73.00e (beta). 73.00e has been in beta for a while now with no reports of problems, so it will likely be declared to be the latest release version soon. Edit: but to run them in parallel, they'll all have to be updated.
daimyo
Groupie

Post by daimyo »

So maybe the best way is to wait some more time and then to install 73.00e FW?

Do I need to turn OFF other two inverters when doing FW upgrade on one?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I've moved two posts about inverters with 450 V MPPTs to a new topic, PIP-5048GE, PIP-5048GK and PIP-5048MG inverters (with unsafe SCC). This topic is getting too long to talk about every possible model variant. (Edit: I've moved a few more over; there are 23 posts in that topic as I write.)
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Hi @daimyo. Thanks for your kind words.
daimyo wrote: Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 06:34 So maybe the best way is to wait some more time and then to install 73.00e FW?
Yes. We will probably bump 73.00e from beta to release early in the new year if no one reports any problems.
Do I need to turn OFF other two inverters when doing FW upgrade on one? Thank You
Yes. You should disconnect all sources of power (battery, solar and AC) from all inverters except the one you are updating (which should be powered only by battery). And only reconnect everything after you have updated all three inverters. You will therefore need another source of power for the computer doing the update, such as its battery if it is a laptop, or the grid if you have it.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
daimyo
Groupie

Post by daimyo »

weber wrote: Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 07:42 Hi @daimyo. Thanks for your kind words.
daimyo wrote: Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 06:34 So maybe the best way is to wait some more time and then to install 73.00e FW?
Yes. We will probably bump 73.00e from beta to release early in the new year if no one reports any problems.
Do I need to turn OFF other two inverters when doing FW upgrade on one? Thank You
Yes. You should disconnect all sources of power (battery, solar and AC) from all inverters except the one you are updating (which should be powered only by battery). And only reconnect everything after you have updated all three inverters. You will therefore need another source of power for the computer doing the update, such as its battery if it is a laptop, or the grid if you have it.
OK, Thank You for your help.

I do have grid so it is no problem.
daimyo
Groupie

Post by daimyo »

@Coulomb or @Weber

Could You guys please explain how Dynamic load works in real life, lets say on example on my 3 paralel inverters?

When load is low, does only one inverter takes all load on himself and other two goes to stanby?

What will happend during the night when I turn manual switch to grid source? Will all 3 move to standby mode?

Thank You
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Hi @daimyo. I'm sorry that the Dynamic Load Control feature of our recent patched firmwares does not do any of those things. It only provides the serial commands that allow such things to be done by a computer connected to any one of the inverters. You would need to write the software yourself. I would recommend using the free Node-RED flow-based programming tool on a Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone Black. I hope that soon, someone will develop such software and share it.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
daimyo
Groupie

Post by daimyo »

weber wrote: Thu, 20 Dec 2018, 09:05 Hi @daimyo. I'm sorry that the Dynamic Load Control feature of our recent patched firmwares does not do any of those things. It only provides the serial commands that allow such things to be done by a computer connected to any one of the inverters. You would need to write the software yourself. I would recommend using the free Node-RED flow-based programming tool on a Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone Black. I hope that soon, someone will develop such software and share it.
OK, thanks for clearing things up... :)

I will continue to manually switch all 3 inverters every night, and during no sun period because I suck at software development :D

Best regards
dapsaille
Noobie

Post by dapsaille »

Hello everyone,
i've just received my first inverter and i want to flash your moddded firmware as i will use pylontech lifepo4 battery (for now i use a 2s(7s4p) 18650 DIY micro power wall).

When i launch the flash program i can hear a relay switching inside the inverter but after about 20 seconds i get "connection failed" and the inverter seems to be softlock, i need to unplug my battery to put it off as the switch doesn't work.

Here is a picture of my inverter, the main cpu version seems to be 72.70 but i cannot get the secondary on the display.

I use a know working serial to usb cable with windows 10 64 i will try with a windows xp but i don't have a secondary computer for now to test.
Did you already encountered this behavior ?

Thanks in advance
Flo

[ Edited Coulomb: added "512" (was 640) after "image=" so image tag works. ] Edit : thanks :D
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

dapsaille wrote: Sun, 23 Dec 2018, 05:31 Hello everyone,

Hi, Flo.
i've just received my first inverter and i want to flash your moddded firmware as i will use pylontech lifepo4 battery (for now i use a 7s4p 18650 DIY micro power wall).
Um, 7S is about 26 V, this is a nominal 48 V inverter. I'll assume for now that you meant 14S. It's hard to believe that the display would even come on with 26 V.
Here is a picture of my inverter, the main cpu version seems to be 72.70 but i cannot get the secondary on the display.
You appear to have a clone, not a genuine Voltronic Power model. The font seems a little off, and they've used the cent symbol instead of the Greek letter phi (for "phase", as in "1 phase"). [ Edit: it also appears to be missing the "date stamp" sticker over the nearest mounting screw to the barcode sticker. That's always present in a genuine model. ] Does your barcode start with 9293? That seems to indicate a Voltronic Power 4 kW model. There is a small chance that because it's a non-genuine clone, it can't be updated with genuine (including patched) firmware.

Maybe we need a FAQ for the SCC version display. If you don't have PV panels connected, or they are isolated (switched off), or it's night time, you won't see the U2 (Solar Charge Controller firmware version) display. The SCC only gets its power from the PV input, not the battery or mains.
I use a know working serial to usb cable with windows 10 64 i will try with a windows xp but i don't have a secondary computer for now to test.
Did you already encountered this behavior ?
It's not uncommon to have problems with certain models of USB to serial adapter. It can be "known working" yet not work reliably for firmware flashing. It could be worth trying another model. Trying Windows XP might work, as it would then be using another device driver, which might work better.

See this post to check if you already have the "known works for flashing" USB to Serial adapter.

[ Edit: reworded sentence with "small chance". ]
dapsaille
Noobie

Post by dapsaille »

Sorry i made a typo, it is = 2s(7s4p) :oops: I'm a bit too high in voltage (52) but it seems to be ok.

I've just tryed with an XP vm and same behavior, i will try tomorrow on a xp laptop and with another adapter.

My barcode start with 7473, i hope i can upgrade this unit to match the specs of pylontech battery or i will probably return it quickly and buy a fully compatible.

Sorry for the U2 missing, i've read (but too late) that without pv input the SCC is not powered.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

dapsaille wrote: Sun, 23 Dec 2018, 06:52 I'm a bit too high in voltage (52) but it seems to be ok.
52 V is fine; 14S of nominally 3.75 V cells is fine. 52 V is equivalent to a lead acid string of 4 nominall 12 V modules at 13 V, nowhere near fully charged. A nominally 48 V battery that is at 48.0 V without load is probably nearly dead flat.
My barcode start with 7473
I'm pretty sure that means it's a clone. Some people have no trouble with clones, but you just don't know what you are getting, and what quality short-cuts they have taken.

[ Edit: 4 cells -> 4 nominally 12 V modules ]
dapsaille
Noobie

Post by dapsaille »

humm .. the seller advert a MPPT model but i've opened the case (no warranty stickers) and on the pv input board i can read a lot of PWM traces ..
Do you know if on MPPT models there is some MPPT labels on this board ? (i searched for pictures of this card but didn't find on the topic :x)

Edit : the SCC board seems to be the same as in the service manual uploads/4111/Copy_of_PIP-HS_MS_4-5KVA_n ... 01506A.pdf i cannot read the characters on the picture but form factor it the same and components are at the same place .. so .. it must be an MPPT model :)
dapsaille
Noobie

Post by dapsaille »

Well ..
i've tryed this morning with a direct Serial connection (no usb converter) and same behavior,
i can hear a relay click then the display softlock (no blinking led nor response to button press) and connection failed, cannot shutdown the inverter,
if i try to reconnect trough serial port "cannot open com port" immediatly.
:|
CrOhN
Noobie

Post by CrOhN »

Well, new problem this morning. Now it is the SCC. In the morning, It started to report high charge current. I measured 4A, and it was reporting 40! Several complete power off, no improvements. It started to only trying to charge, and only hear relay click. I though, wile i'm at it, i may as well update firmware. That done, i'm now on 4.00. Now when the charger tries to charge, i see 60A output for a moment, then stops, and restarts. This with only 3P1S panels connected (~750W).

I think there must be something wrong with current sensing or something.
mud_muncher
Noobie

Post by mud_muncher »

Hi all, I have an older model Pip 2424HS which has been giving great service for years! I accidentally connected up reverse polarity :oops: while the panels where still connected, now she is dead as a door nail. I checked the 5 x 40amp fuses and they seem to be all ok. Is there another fuse or breaker that I should know about or is it dead? :cry:
swagner2018
Noobie

Post by swagner2018 »

Hello,

I would like to add another company who sell this inverter: Steca SOLARIX PLI 5000-48

I have also a question, I got the Steca SOLARIX PLI 5000-48 and would like to use Modbus or MQTT to read / write register
I found the (MODBUS CARD ) MPI series Hybrid solar inverter inverter Modbus Card
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 215aB2jKfU
This card provide Modbus RTU and would need a gateway to use TCP/IP e.g.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... bOvd1w&s=p
I don't know if it will work with the Steca SOLARIX PLI 5000-48 but I guess it's the same hardware and firmware... however I would try it :-)

Does somebody use Modbus with this inverter via a Gateway and can share his/her expirances ?
I didn't found for this inverter the Modbus read / write register addresses when somebody has them it would be nice to share the information with me.

I have a SMA with 5.5KWh + Solaredge with 6.5KWh and monitor them via Modbus + SmartPi2 via MQTT all devices send the information to IOBroker.

Thx and kind regards,

Stefan
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

swagner2018 wrote: Thu, 27 Dec 2018, 22:10 Hello,
Hi, Stefan, and welcome to the forum.
I don't know if it will work with the Steca SOLARIX PLI 5000-48 but I guess it's the same hardware and firmware... however I would try it :-)
No, this card is for the hybrid models made by the same manufacturer. Note the PCB edge with the gold fingers:

Those fingers have to plug in somewhere. Some, perhaps all the hybrid models have an "intelligent slot" which allows for one of several cards to be plugged in: "SNMP, Modbus and AS-400 cards available". The off-grid inverters, such as your SOLARIX PLI 5000-48, don't have this slot, so there is nowhere to plug it in, let alone support from the firmware.
swagner2018
Noobie

Post by swagner2018 »

Well, in this case I have to use another way.... maybe you or somebody did this already and has and Idea or can help with links.

I am currently using an SMA with 5.5kWp and a Solaredge with 6.5kWp but most of the time I am just selling a big amount of the electricity.
Now I would like to use the Steca Solarix to "buffer" the electricity and use it for some devices like fridge, freezer,... to reduce the kW consumption by 1/3 and also us it as UPS.
The Solarix will be connected to the grid and should charge the batteries only when I am selling electricity.
- No electricity sold = run in bypass Mode
- electricity sold = use "MCHGC<nn.n><cr>: Setting max charging current" from 2/10/20/30/40/50/60A to charge the batteries
- when the batteries are charged = run in UPS Mode

To Monitor the batteries I will use the ESP8266 with INA282M + Shunt and DS18D20 the information will be send to the IOBroker with MQTT (I should get the sensors hopefully in the new year)

In case it's not possible to run in bypass mode just disable the whole Solarix and use a automatic switch to use the normal grid for fridge,freezer,...

I am currently using IObroker to collect the information from SMA + Solaredge via Modbus and from SmartPi2 (smartmeter) via MQTT
I would like to increase self consumtion by using the Steca Solarix controlled via IObroker
The next step would be to use the e-go charger (nice API) for an electric car (will buy one within the next 2 years) and controll this charger also with IObroker to avoid selling electricity.

Thanks for your help and feedback,

Stefan
paulvk

Post by paulvk »

Hello Stefan
I am using the HLK-RM04 modules they provide 2 x RS232 to TCPIP plus wireless access point and full router in a small package .
I am using Atmel AVRs to communicate with the inverters (could also use Arduino module) there is a previous post showing two
LCD displays with the data from two inverters
simple serial commands sent to the AVRs can control the inverters
the AVRs can also log the data to SD card
There is enough power from the inverter port to run the modules.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Accessing Recorded Fault Data

When parameter setting 25 (Record Fault Code) is enabled (it is disabled by default), every time the inverter enters fault mode due to a fault (recoverable or not), if this setting is on, some data is stored in a special area of EEPROM reserved for this purpose. To access this information, you are presumably expected to use the Fault Data Log section of the provided WatchPower monitoring software.

But not all of us choose to use WatchPower. The other way to access this data is via a command; two commands pertain to this fault data: QFS and QFAULT. See other topics via the index in the first post on how to send commands, the CRCs required, and the USB to serial adapter. For whatever reason, these commands are not documented. I've been asked about this by private message; since the information is useful and harmless, I publish it here for all to benefit. Number formats are given in Cobol "picture" format. For example, "pic 999" means three numeric digits representing 000-999 (e.g. 145); "pic 99.99" means four numeric digits with the decimal point as indicated, e.g. 50.02.

QFS command

( First character of the response is the usual open parenthesis character.
Fault record status (01 = recording): pic 99
Fault code (the one that triggered the data recording) pic 99
Inverter mode as pic 99 (e.g. battery mode = 03, line mode = 04, fault mode = 06)
  Note that the interpretation of the above depends on the exact model.
Apparent load power in VA pic 9999
True load power in Watts pic 9999
Inverter load in Watts pic 9999
Line voltage V pic 999.9
Line frequency Hz pic 99.99
Inverter output volts pic 999.9
Inverter output frequency Hz pic 99.99
Inverter output current A pic 999.9
Bus voltage V pic 999.9
Battery voltage V pic 99.9
System max temperature °C pic 999
   Bit 2: load relay on
   Bit 3: inverter relay on
   Bit 7: AC input relay (N side) on
   Bit 5: battery mode
   Bit 6: Line mode

QFAULT command
This one has less data, and some data (e.g. bus voltage) is in a different order. But it might be useful in some circumstances, because the output is slightly shorter.

( First character of the response is the usual open parenthesis character.
Fault code (the one that triggered the data recording) pic 99
Inverter mode as pic 99 (e.g. battery mode = 03, line mode = 04, fault mode = 06)
  Note that the interpretation of the above depends on the exact model.
Apparent load power in VA pic 9999
True load power in Watts pic 9999
Inverter load in Watts pic 9999
Bus voltage V pic 999.9
Line voltage V pic 999.9
Line frequency Hz pic 99.99
Inverter output volts pic 999.9
Inverter output current A pic 999.9

[ Edit: removed mention of QFAULT ending with a space. The CRC adding code overwrites the last character with the CRCs, then adds a carriage return. So QFAULT ends with a carriage return as usual. ]
[ Edit: Bit 7 → Bit 6 for Line mode in Status field. ]
[ Edit: added notes re mode bit pattern being model dependent. ]
swagner2018
Noobie

Post by swagner2018 »

Hi All,

I was digging to find scripts which are used to set / change settings and receive information and I found an interessting Website which I would like to share.
https://github.com/lluisball/godenerg

For me the interessting part is main.py which can be use to send commands and receive the output as json.

There is exactly the command I will need listed as example :-)

Change Utility MAX charge current to 10 amps for first paralel device
> python3 axpert/main.py --usb -d /dev/hidraw0 --cmd MCHGC -v 010 -s 8
(ACK

When somebody has links to other scripts which does the same, let me know ;-)

Cheers, Stefan