New to EV

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
PaulGellatly
Noobie

New to EV

Post by PaulGellatly » Wed, 25 Jun 2008, 01:53

I have just registered on this web site, tonight, so its all new to me.
I am keen to find out all about how to convert a car to electric.
I want to do it with a VS Commodore Ute, because I want to see it done in a rear wheel drive, larger vehicle, rather these tiny little shoe boxes that are usually converted. I am interested in using a 3-phase AC motor, and LiFEPo batteries, so I'm expecting at least a $25,000 cost.

I program Programmable Logic Controllers, PLC's, for a job, so I'm fairly electrically minded. I'm also a member of the Alternative Technology Association, here in Brisbane.

I'm keen to start some correspondence with members of the AEVA, to learn what is involved to accomplish my ideas, and poke my finger up at the oil companies. Can anyone direct me to someone who can advise me about 3-phase AC motors, & control, etc?

Regards
Paul Gellatly

a4x4kiwi

New to EV

Post by a4x4kiwi » Wed, 25 Jun 2008, 02:23

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the group.

Check out my blog http://a4x4kiwi.blogspot.com/ and also Tuarns Suzuki http://www.evalbum.com/1149 for a start if you are considering industrial AC.

Unfortunately vehicle weight is our enemy when it comes to EVs. There are a few people here considering some heavier vehicles (search for range rover on the forums)

Regards,
Mal.
Silicon is just sand with attitude.

Blog: http://malfunction.faed.name

PaulGellatly
Noobie

New to EV

Post by PaulGellatly » Sun, 06 Jul 2008, 23:55

6 July 08
Well I've started on the path to oil-non-dependance. Today I placed an order with Blade Electric Vehicles for an AC55 Motor and DMOC445 Controller, total price $9,000 incGST delivered to Brisbane. Expected delivery: January 2009. I'll wait a couple more months before ordering the batteries, I'm hoping the LiFePo4 100xLFP90AHA will drop in price. Does anybody know if there is an alternative to the Thunder Sky batteries? I'm now looking for a VS Commodore Ute, must have a manual gearbox, (motor can be shagged, don't care!), anybody know of one for sale?

Paul

lithbattboss
Groupie

New to EV

Post by lithbattboss » Wed, 09 Jul 2008, 02:49

You might want to contact Shaun and check out his website at
www.electric-echo.com He is local to you in Brisbane and has lots of experience with conversions, performance with different batteries etc. I am sure he can give you lots of useful advice.
Last edited by lithbattboss on Tue, 08 Jul 2008, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

Tareaway
Noobie
MSN: drwest0072@hotmail.com

New to EV

Post by Tareaway » Sat, 26 Jul 2008, 21:51

Hi, looked into EV's sometime ago but due to commitments couldn't go ahead. I have a 86 Pontiac Fiero (small 2 seater-Plastic body)that I wish to convert, the motor and transaxle already removed. It will have a custom body when complete. Im seeking assistance with information and leads regaurding this progect. Setups suggestion would be appreciated. This vehicle will be used for promotion and will not require registration. Any ideas? Thanks
DRW

kimjungim365
Noobie

New to EV

Post by kimjungim365 » Wed, 30 Jul 2008, 08:56

I'm new to EV and very excited about joining this forum group.
I want to convert an older motor home from gas to electric or hydrogen power. My question is "Would this be fisable to do?" Any advice about this motor home project would be appreciated so i can save from paying gas prices. Thank-You!
kimjungim

woody

New to EV

Post by woody » Wed, 30 Jul 2008, 14:36

Hi & Welcome,

look around the forum to get your bearings!

Yes, should be practical. Have a peek on www.EValbum.com for similar sized vehicles to see what others have done before you.

What range / performance are you after? What is the current fuel consumption, motor, weight? After how many km do you want to recoup your conversion costs?

cheers,
Woody
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack