First charges away from home

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
drlizau
Noobie

First charges away from home

Post by drlizau »

Yesterday 2 adults and the Leaf went on a 360km round trip to go to Radio Club Meeting.
After several rainy days I didn't have much battery charge so I had to buy electricity from the grid to get to 80% ready to set out. We reached Narrandera with 23% available and pulled in to the charger, opted for 100% charge and within 30 mins were back on the way. It's amazing how quick the electricity pours in from the fast charger.
The car said it was 95% as we left, driving through to Wagga at 95kmh on the speedo, 93kmh in real life. On arrival at the charger in WW, the car said 27%, so we left it at the charger and walked down to the clubhouse for lunch. I left a "Need2Charge" card on the dash in case I was hogging the charger.
Returning after lunch the Leaf said it was at 100%. The battery was somewhat warm, about 47 degrees, and didn't cool while parked in the shade.
Home after a few hours, same route in reverse, checking the power usage figures at various speeds on the cruise control. At the same 95kph the battery didn't really change much in temp before Narrandera.
Here I opted for 80% charge. It was completed from 27% in about 15 min. In that time we walked to the supermarket for some buns and fruit, spending about 3 mins in the supermarket according to my ServiceNSW app. We sat and ate our food regardless. Battery temp was now over 48, and showing red. Once through Narrandera cruising at 80kph (real life 78kph) saw the battery start to cool off. Outside temp was 30.
At the higher speed we could comfortably travel the distance between the charge points. If I want to go west and reach Hay I will need to travel quite sedately to get there. Time to write to Murrumbidgee Shire Council and suggest chargers at Darlington Point and Coleambally.

Radio Club meeting is a collection of nerds (of course) so the arrival of a noiseless car was not missed. Lots of positive discussion about EV motoring ensued.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical
antiscab

Re: First charges away from home

Post by antiscab »

wow that's a hot battery

I'd have been tempted to hose the underside of the car down with a garden hose
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
drlizau
Noobie

Post by drlizau »

wow that's a hot battery

For that you need a water supply and a hose. Closest water was the Bidgee, and I'm not dunking the car in the river :lol:
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical
Drabion
Noobie

Post by Drabion »

drlizau wrote: Sun, 31 Jan 2021, 15:12
wow that's a hot battery

For that you need a water supply and a hose. Closest water was the Bidgee, and I'm not dunking the car in the river :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: river, would be fun