PIP-4048MS inverter

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
weber
Site Admin

Re: PIP-4048MS inverter

Post by weber » Thu, 04 Jan 2018, 07:38

Patched Firmware 75.31a for dual and triple SCC models

This patched firmware fixes the premature-float bug in the manufacturer's firmware for the PIP-4048MSD, PIP-4048MST, Axpert MKS 5K-48 Duo, Axpert MKS 5K-48 Tri and equivalent. It does not contain the patches for our dynamic current control (DCC) or AussieView™ additions, and we have not provided a version with our voltage and current threshold changes for LFP cells. This is primarily due to the fact that we don't have a suitable inverter to test them on.

Here are the zip files with all the software you need, to reflash your PIP-4048MSD/MST or Axpert MKS 5K-48 Duo/Tri, and to revert to standard 75.31 firmware if required. See these installation instructions.

Note: This firmware is only suitable for the 48 V models with dual or triple low-voltage MPPTs and a power factor of 0.8 (4 kW / 5 kVA), not those with a single MPPT or a power factor of 1.0 (5 kW / 5 kVA).

For lead acid (24S), lithium cobalt-blends (LCO, NMC, NCM, NCA) (14S) and lithium titanate (LTO) (21S)
dsp_LC1_75.31a.zip
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 22 times

It should go without saying, that you use this at your own risk. The original unpatched 75.31 is included in the above zip-file, in case there's a problem with the patched version. But you will not be able to revert to whatever version of the firmware is in your inverter now (unless it is 75.31).

Please let us know if you use it successfully.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

sklods
Noobie

Post by sklods » Fri, 05 Jan 2018, 17:46

Hi.
I have 2 Voltronic InfiniSolar V series 4k inverters in parallel.
When it work in On Grid mode and feed energy to the Grid, does it take it from accumulators and PV panels?
If so how I can set parameters for feeding Grid only from Pv panels and not from accumulator?

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber » Fri, 05 Jan 2018, 22:04

sklods wrote:
Fri, 05 Jan 2018, 17:46
Hi.
I have 2 Voltronic InfiniSolar V series 4k inverters in parallel.
When it work in On Grid mode and feed energy to the Grid, does it take it from accumulators and PV panels?
If so how I can set parameters for feeding Grid only from Pv panels and not from accumulator?
Sorry sklods, but this thread is only about the Voltronic Axpert 5 kVA 48 V standalone inverters with MPPTs. Not grid-feed inverters or multi-mode ("hybrid") inverters. But here's a link to the manual for your inverter. http://www.voltronicpower.com/oCart2/fi ... 60517B.pdf
If you can't understand the manual, I suggest you contact the supplier of your inverter.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

Rik
Noobie

Post by Rik » Sat, 06 Jan 2018, 21:49

Hi @Weber, thanks for the information an the quick response.

I did sucessfully the update of my inverter and I'm now on dsp_LC1_75.31a :).

Can you tell me how to access the settings number 32 from the Axpert manual ver.2.1

Also i saw in this manual programm settings numbers from 32 to 39.

http://www.steca.com/frontend/standard/ ... ual_EN.pdf

Thanks,

Rik

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber » Sat, 06 Jan 2018, 22:59

Rik wrote:
Sat, 06 Jan 2018, 21:49
Hi Weber, thanks for the information an the quick response.

I did sucessfully the update of my inverter and I'm now on dsp_LC1_75.31a :).

Can you tell me how to access the settings number 32 from the Axpert manual v2.1

Also i saw in this manual programm settings numbers from 32 to 39.

http://www.steca.com/frontend/standard/ ... ual_EN.pdf
Hi Rik. Thanks for letting us know.

I'm sorry to tell you that that manual is only for the single-MPPT model, which uses different firmware. Settings 32 thru 39 are not available in the models with dual or triple MPPTs, as you can see on page 18 of the manuals here and here.

In those models, absorb stage termination (going to float) occurs when the charge current falls below one fifth of the maximum total charge current setting [02] and the voltage is within 0.5 V of the absorb voltage setting [26] (now that we have fixed the bug! :-) ). This is equivalent to the "Aut" value for setting [32] in the single-MPPT inverters.

Rik
Noobie

Post by Rik » Sun, 07 Jan 2018, 04:43

Hi Weber,
thanks for explanation. So i will test the firmware and let you know if there's something wrong...

What i saw in the past (75.20), that the voltage of the PV inputs differ. On cold and sunny winter days the inverter switched the pv input off and showed the failure number 13 on display. The displayed voltage was 152V....but the real measuered voltage at the pv input terminals was 136V. Also i saw sometimes during the night voltages on the pv input from 47V and 50V on the display of the inverter.

Thanks,
Rik

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Sun, 07 Jan 2018, 08:52

Rik, the dual- and triple-MPPT models do seem to work somewhat differently to the single-MPPT models. I never see that weird behaviour [ edit: with my single-MPPT machine] with the PV voltage readings; it always reads zero at night, for example. In fact, at night, the single MPPT SCCs (Solar Charge Controllers) aren't even powered up. Perhaps they operate quite differently.

In your photos above, is the 136.3 V being measured by a multimeter? I can almost read "Auto Range", which suggests that. I presume that it's connected to the same PV input as the Axpert/PIP is connected to?

Also, are you perhaps connecting the two PV inputs together? This might make sense for testing or other purposes, but it might cause strange effects such as you are seeing. The SCC inputs (PV terminals) are not isolated from the battery, and therefore are not isolated from each other. So you are not meant to connect them together, or to any other charge controller. They will always be operating at different PWM ratios (even MPPT controllers use Pulse Width Moduation at heart), and so one PV input could be "pushing" the other PV input and possibly confusing the voltage measurement somehow. Though as I type this, it seems unlikely.
Learning how to patch and repair PIP-4048 inverter-chargers and Elcon chargers.

Rik
Noobie

Post by Rik » Sun, 07 Jan 2018, 20:32

Hi Coulomb,

you are right...the second picture shows a multimeter..and yes it's connected to the PV input 1 of the inverter.

I didn't put both PV inputs together. On each input are 20 modules connected.

According this "night voltage" issue, if i switch the inverter off for about 5minutes the voltage is "gone" and it shows 0Volts. Also this happens not every night...sometimes it shows 0Volts at the display....strange thing :-(

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber » Mon, 08 Jan 2018, 21:45

Different from the average PIP video.

Nico1281
Noobie

Post by Nico1281 » Wed, 10 Jan 2018, 06:01

Hello,

If someone needed, i take the original firmware U1 73.00 for 4048MS and perhaps more.
The U1 72.70 on this site cut off the cooling fan some minuts. And broke my inverter some days after.
Those inverter are really heat sensitive. I think u must never stop cooling fan if u want ur inverter function long time ago.

The version 73.00 sold this problem. One of the fan is always active. And the inverter is really more cold.
Perhaps u can evolve the firmware join for saving the problem of bulk charge and other.
4048MS 73.00.zip
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
Best regards

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber » Wed, 10 Jan 2018, 16:07

Hi @Nico1281

Sorry to hear about your inverter. Thanks for 73.00. Now we have a lot of work ahead of us, porting our patches to it. :geek: :ugeek:

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Sun, 14 Jan 2018, 20:36

One of our clients' PIPs was updating firmware very slowly. We were able to swap its comms board with one from another PIP to get the firmware updated, but the original comms board still needs fixing.

To help find out what was going on, we did a partial trace of the comm board. We were not interested in the USB half of the circuit, so that that was not traced.

I'm not convinced that I have the power supply right; it seems pretty weird. It seems that the design is a little marginal, which might explain why some people have been having trouble with certain combination of inverter/charger and USB to serial adapter.

[ Edit: Changed schematic; C9 was on wrong side of R15. ]
[ Edit: D9 was mislabelled as D6. ]
[ Edit: grammar ]
Attachments
Comm Board.png
Comm Board.png (31.2 KiB) Viewed 193 times

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber » Mon, 15 Jan 2018, 07:37

That's a nicely done drawing, Coulomb. There's more than one weird thing about that circuit. It looks like it was designed by an amateur. I count 12 parts that are completely unnecessary since they can either be omitted or replaced by a PCB track, sometimes requiring a change in the value or connection of other parts. Namely: Omit D5, D9, Q3, R12, R14, R18. Replace D2, R1, R6, R9, R10, R35 with PCB track. Increase R3 to 1k0. Increase R13 to 6k2. Connect the LED of opto U2 in series with R13.

You show "To USB circuit". It would be interesting to also see "From USB circuit".

6mdx
Noobie

Post by 6mdx » Thu, 18 Jan 2018, 16:31

Hi, all, been locked out for a while, but managed to read through quite a few pages over and over LOL.
So a couple of months ago i weakened and bought a pip5048 PWM job, (dont drink while on ebay).

Noticed that you (coulomb and weber) have been making lots of progress, congratulations.
I was wondering if its possible for me to read/download a copy of the firmware from mine
U1 34 10
U2 06 09

and would that be of any help in checking the code for the premature float bug which it sure has.

cheers Robert

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Thu, 18 Jan 2018, 18:52

Hi, Robert.

We used to be able to read firmware from the DSP (inverter's processor on the daughter board) using slightly special equipment, as posted in I believe the "if your inverter is bricked" post, but as of the last year or two they use a password to protect against this. So I don't think it's worth trying now. We've never attempted to read firmware directly from a Solar Charge Controller (SCC), though depending on the processor used, there may be ways. However, I believe that the latest SCCs use a "junior" (technically, one of the Piccolo TMS C2000 models), so that likely uses a password protection as well. Curse those clone manufacturers! I don't blame Voltronic Power for trying to protect their investment in the firmware development, but it makes it hard to DIY fix any problems.

So if you are serious about reading firmware, or want to ask me to read it to check particular details, you need to find a firmware update file.

The firmware versions you mention are totally foreign to me, so they are not close to the ones I've seen (and I have a bit of a collection these days).

al76
Noobie

Post by al76 » Fri, 19 Jan 2018, 05:16

Hi,
I've been running a pip4048ms with 240Ah of batterys (4s2p Ritah AGM 120Ah) now for 13months. I've just notice in the last week that the solar volts soon after sunrise climbs above the 115vdc which the manual indicates PV Array MPPT Voltage Range 60~115Vdc . During this approx 2hr period there is no battery charging and I can hear a relay clicking every few seconds in the pip.
I've attached a couple of graphs.
solrv.png
batta.png
I have resolved this on 1 occasion by shutting down the pip and restarting other times it has come good after a couple of hrs.

Can anyone offer any clues on why the pip isn't charging the battery on some blue sky mornings?
I have emailed mpp solar with no reply at this stage.
Regards
Al.

**Update

Same issue again this morning. Blue sky, relay clicking in pip, Battery not charging.
Steps taken
1. Turned off solar. Pip relay still clicking
2. Turned off pip.
2. wait a couple of minutes then turned on pip. After a short time ( a minute maybe ) pip would shutdown.
3. turn pip off then wait a bit then turn on. This time switched on solar. Pip relay clicking.
repeat some combination of the above steps a few times without success.

4. Fired up genny. At least I have power and batterys are charging. Genny overload trips and pip switches to battery providing power but still no solar charging and pip relay still clicking.

I turn off genny. At this stage have to leave so I leave everything as is hoping it will sort itself out.
On my return I check and see that about 8:30am (same as previous morning) the pip behaves as normal with solar charging.

I'm hopeful someone can shed some light on whats causing this. My next step is to check all battery connections.

Regards
Al.

***Update
I'm thinking now its just the time of the year and angle of sun on panels in the morning.
Last edited by al76 on Sat, 20 Jan 2018, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

6mdx
Noobie

Post by 6mdx » Sat, 20 Jan 2018, 16:37

coulomb wrote:
Thu, 18 Jan 2018, 18:52
Hi, Robert.

We used to be able to read firmware from the DSP (inverter's processor on the daughter board) using slightly special equipment, as posted in I believe the "if your inverter is bricked" post, but as of the last year or two they use a password to protect against this. So I don't think it's worth trying now. We've never attempted to read firmware directly from a Solar Charge Controller (SCC), though depending on the processor used, there may be ways. However, I believe that the latest SCCs use a "junior" (technically, one of the Piccolo TMS C2000 models), so that likely uses a password protection as well. Curse those clone manufacturers! I don't blame Voltronic Power for trying to protect their investment in the firmware development, but it makes it hard to DIY fix any problems.

So if you are serious about reading firmware, or want to ask me to read it to check particular details, you need to find a firmware update file.

The firmware versions you mention are totally foreign to me, so they are not close to the ones I've seen (and I have a bit of a collection these days).
Hey coulomb thanks for the reply, I have emailed MMP, just wait and see.

ATM I have stuck 1.5kw panels onto my GSL 60-1 MPPT controller, that has battery hitting absorption volts by about 10am.

So at least a bit more stick into the 20yo flooded cells. They still get us through the night with A/C for a couple of hours fans TV etc..

Negotiating to buy a bunch more panels so see how that works out.
cheers Robert