EV Run to Canberra AGM 2009

For Australian Capital Territory Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
MikeG
Groupie
MSN: michaelglew@hotmail.com

Post by MikeG »

Maybe we could get a bulk deal on gen set trailers for club members...

Does someone know of a company who can put a design into production? is there something already available?

Mike
djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe »

Someone from China has been promoting his batteries. Id like to put a stop to this. This shouldnt be advertising space. Suggest we warn him / ban. David
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

hi David,

thats already been attended to.

Matt
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
EVMEGIRL
Noobie

Post by EVMEGIRL »

WE will be there - LOVE

EVME GIRL Image

http://tamworth.iprime.com.au/depts/pri ... 061&title=(video

EVME GIRL
djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe »

I seek advice from potential attenders on the following:
whether to use freeways or quiet back roads. I have found there are some commercial who do about 80kph s
accom type ie motels or caravan parks (15A power)
I dont wish to deviate from around 100ks between charges though. Today to prove it is possible I drove 105ks with some freeway on the return. ( I did draft a van for 10ks @ 80kph). The EV would still spin the wheels at the last lights & the LFPs were down to 3.25V so there was still a lot left. Im getting 2 more NG3s so that three can be connected to three phase power. Im willing to share these with any one running at 144V provided they have one other NG3 on board. It will be possible to do 2 hour charging (LFP90s) & 1.5 hour driving 70 kph av speed so 10.5hrs for 300ks add another 1.5 hour drive followed by a slow overnight charge and we have 400ks. ACT for Melb folk in two days.
David S

evric
Site Admin

Post by evric »

David, Where do you buy your NG3 chargers?
Ric
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au
djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe »

To make sense of those who wish to go to Canberra & their accom needs I suggest establishing a wiki type list that maybe Andrew could setup for us. Trip to ACT need EV info details about charging NB 100ks minimum (Ill be organising this for Melb branch and some legs are slightly more than 100ks). Whether coming from which branch 15A or 10A ,number of charging points, if three phase power needed. Info about aux generator. Accom- no of days whether own room no of beds & type willing to share with others deposit sent to MG etc etc

David
djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe »

Charger Suggestions
I was going to use a single cylinder Diesel but have decided that this is too harsh a power source and will use a 2 cyl or three cyl. The Kubota D902 3 cylinders 900cc & 13.5kW @ 3200RPM would enable travel for my EV at 90km/hr and require 3 litres per hour assuming 90% conversion efficiency. This is 3 litres to do 90 kms so about 3.3 litres per 100kms. Not too bad and close to what my Insight can do. The engine weighs 72kg. I will use a 3 ph PM alternator and switch from star to delta as the revs increase. Will go via batteries so no loss of power during switching. DS
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

Hi David,

is that 13.5kw at the motor?
by the time you get it to your EV motor controller, it will be closer to 10kw.

which PM alternator are you using?

Matt
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
HeadsUp
Groupie

Post by HeadsUp »

dsharpe , did you already buy the second hand kubota ? , the 02 series is about 15 - 20 years old from memory , 05 was the last series i looked at , although i ended up buying a new yanmar 3TNE75 for a 16 kVA genset

what price are you paying ?

and why permanant magnet ? , did you look at pricing for a mecalte for comparison ?

what brand is the PM ?
djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe »

I havent bought my set yet and may experiment with a Robins DY41 1 cyl first. If I do the No Trees crossing next year Ill need at least 10kW. Might be Yan or Kub. All 50Hz alternators are too heavy. Higher frequency eg 400Hz driven at high revs is what will get the weight down. Dont need 50Hz. PM alternators will be lighter particularly rare earths. Brand is unknown, is a wind turb alternator. If you use a PM alternator at higher speeds than intended it may start self limiting due to reactance. This can be compensated to some degree by capacitors.
djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe »

Interesting test
I did a 50k run at 50-60 kph av with plenty of traffic lights. AT KW's factory I charged using my two Zivans and it took 1 hour to replace the energy used. Anyone doing this trip is going to have to something like this I should think. Go faster youll get there sooner but take longer to charge. Ill see if I can devise an empirical law- Sharpe's Law to describe the problem. If power was linear with speed and batteries delivered the same energy regardless, the charging time would be nearly constant but we all know this is not the case.
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

Aahh ! Sharpe's Law.     Yes optimised travel.

But if you had regen, that Law would require a correction factor !!!
converted RedSuzi, the first industrial AC induction motor conversion
on to iMiEV MY12 did 114,463km
now Tesla Model 3, 4/2021 MIC pearl white
boardy
Noobie

Post by boardy »

Hi All,
About the EVent,

I don't have an EV yet, got the car not the cash.

It sounds great, hopefully it'll get a fair amount of press coverage and publicity from outside the AEVA circles.

boardy
Thalass

Post by Thalass »

I think you're on the money there, Sharp, with that on board charger. I'll keep an eye on what you do with that.

One thing, Acmotor, is that regen only returns part of the energy used to accelerate to your cruising speed. The energy used to stay at a constant speed is lost. I think that's why the Tesla roadster is reported to have longer range in the city than on the highway. More of the energy used is returned to be used later in stop start traffic. Which sounds really counterintuitive.

So Sharpe's Law would still require a correcting factor, but that factor would be dependent on the type of driving you're doing, I think.
Last edited by Thalass on Mon, 11 May 2009, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.
woody

Post by woody »

Thalass wrote: One thing, Acmotor, is that regen only returns part of the energy used to accelerate to your cruising speed. The energy used to stay at a constant speed is lost. I think that's why the Tesla roadster is reported to have longer range in the city than on the highway. More of the energy used is returned to be used later in stop start traffic. Which sounds really counterintuitive.
A big reason that EVs have better city range than highway is that EVs are quite efficient all the time, whereas petrol/diesel are most efficient at constant RPM - i.e. highway.

A car (EV or ICE) has a lot more drag at highway speeds, so EVs have lower range at high speed, but with ICEs the efficency gains outweigh this. I've heard 80-90 kph is the most efficient speed for ICE.

I did a driving holiday in the NT before they put a speed limit on the highway - your efficiency really goes in the toilet at 150kph...
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
Rattrap
Groupie

Post by Rattrap »

I'm trying to find some more details on this event, can someone point me in the right direction please? I'm looking for dates & location of field day.
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
Rattrap
Groupie

Post by Rattrap »

Thanks for that Peter, lucky i checked for some reason i thought it was the 16th. we're just about to make plans for the trip, been looking forward to it all year.
BaronVonChickenPants
Groupie

Post by BaronVonChickenPants »

Has anyone considered the F&P motors for building portable generators? 300V from a push bike powered generator, a small petrol/diesel/bio-diesel motor should offer something usable.

More info:
http://www.bjblaster.com/projects/renew ... index.html

Jordan.
djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe »

Definite Starters
If I dont have expressions of interest by 7th July for Victorian EV owners wanting to go to ACT Ill simply organise my own trip travelling alone, no support vehicle or passenger but a backup generator for company. Ill leave other states to organise their own.
DS
sarah_j_smith
Noobie
AIM: sezmonsta

Post by sarah_j_smith »

Hi AEVA folks,

I'm a Prius owner, computer person by trade, and in my spare time I write on my blog about electric vehicles, climate change and what ever else is on my mind.

I'm in Brisbane and planning to attend the Open Day in October.

I've mentioned this in my blog - a bit more pubicity for the open day can't hurt!

http://blog.storybridge.org/2009/06/answer-man.html

In fact I'd like to come a day early and chat to some of your members at the AGM, if that's appropriate, to gather some material for a few more articles.

Personally I'd like our next/second vehicle to be pure electric, and of course I'd love a Tesla but don't have Simon Hacketts bank balance. :-)

Look forward to meeting some of you in October.

Thanks,

Sarah Smith
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

I'd love to attend; especially I'd like to take a week off and drive in a lovely red electric MX-5. I don't have a good feel for how likely the MX-5 will be ready by then. If not, I'd be happy to fly down for a few days.

Also, I don't know how likely it is that I'll be allowed out for a week; a few days should be fine.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

im definately going to be there Sarah, im happy to have a yarn with you.

btw, welcome to the forum :)

Matt
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe »

Veldonas ph 0393120888 in Sunshine (Melb) has a range of Japanese used Diesel engines complete with radiators air filters etc. One I looked at 6kW at 3200RPM is a 2 cyl type ZB400BBS Kubota and weighs 60kg dry. This is a little too small for me. The next one is a 600cc and is 50% more powerful and weighs 75kg. This is more like what I want. That leaves the electrical machine which will need to be about 8kW. Possibilities are a wind turbine or hydro alternator, rewound 3000RPM induction motor(excited with capacitors). Normal 2 pole AC alternators are too heavy.