What to do in Adelaide?

For South Australian Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
4Springs
Site Admin

What to do in Adelaide?

Post by 4Springs »

Hi all,
We're in Adelaide next week for a holiday. Never been before, is there anything EV related that we should check out while we are there?
evric
Site Admin

What to do in Adelaide?

Post by evric »

Hi Chris,
We could meetup and I could take you on a tour of Adelaide in my EV conversion or whatever... Unfortunately I could only take one passenger. The batteries are where the rear seat used to be.
PM me if you are interested. I'm in the Marion Area.
Eric
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au
adelaide-ev
Groupie

What to do in Adelaide?

Post by adelaide-ev »

Could show you the Fast Charger at Mitsubishi in action with my imiev. South of the city too.

Or Eric could borrow it for the day to show you around town in an EV - seats 4 incl driver!

There is an Electric Transport Museum out north but I'm pretty sure it's all trams.
4Springs
Site Admin

What to do in Adelaide?

Post by 4Springs »

These sound like good offers - PMs sent!
4Springs
Site Admin

What to do in Adelaide?

Post by 4Springs »

Many thanks to evric & adelaide-ev (Eric & Sally) for a memorable holiday!
Eric took an entire day out to show us around, and Sally lent us her i-MiEV for two days! We also took the free trams and did a lot of walking, so it was largely a petrol-free holiday.

Here is Eric's Barina, Eric, Sally, my wife Zara and Sally's i-MiEV. I somehow managed to escape being photographed!

We found that EV charging appears to be developing at a good rate in and around Adelaide. We were particularly impressed that the Organic Cafe at Stirling provided a charger, which made our trips into the Adelaide hills a bit more extensive and relaxed.
Ok, I did get into a photo, at least the top of my head! The lady in the background eventually leaned over and asked us for a brochure!

When we returned from the hills we could charge up at the fast charger at Mitsubishi. We found another i-MiEV and a PEV Outlander there as well!

We were both allowed to drive Sally's i-MiEV. We found that it is much better looking from the inside, and has all the mod-cons that you would expect from a modern small car. It is quite similar in shape to our Mazda 2 - we seem to like these tall boxy cars, they give a great driving position and have lots of room inside. The regenerative braking was fun to use, both from the control that it allows while driving and also the way that you can get the fuel gauge to go backwards! I found myself missing it when I was driving back from the airport in our manual diesel car - it has engine braking but it is not nearly as useful.
One thing I found that was very unexpected was how many people asked us about the car, and EVs in general. This was whenever it was plugged in - nobody mentioned it otherwise.
I have never had anyone ask me about the Brumby since there is no visible clue that it is electric. We have no charging stations, so nobody ever sees it plugged in. With the i-MiEV it was obvious that this was a production electric vehicle, and people can immediately see that this is something that they could buy themselves. Sally had left some AEVA brochures in the car, so I had some further reading material to give to interested people.

All in all we found that Adelaide is quite EV-friendly - EVs seem to be integrating into society quite well:
jonescg

What to do in Adelaide?

Post by jonescg »

What's the real-world range of a Dalek I wonder?

Looks like a fun trip, and it's always great to have the AEVA community connections for times like these Image
Last edited by jonescg on Sun, 13 Apr 2014, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
AEVA National President, returning WA branch chair.