New Zealand EV Charging in Z Energy Gas Stations

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 » Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 18:00

So it appears that New Zealand is also joining the likes of Norway and The Netherlands in installing EV charging in petrol / gas stations.

Makes sense to me.. ideally suited distances apart, gas station still gets the customer for their high profit shop sales for food / drinks etc.

New Zealand EV charging in Gas stations announced

If I had a Tesla model 3 ( have ordered one) then service stations would suit me just fine for ev charging

"Z Energy, a traditional petrol refueling company in New Zealand has teamed up with EV charging network Charge.net.nz to provide fast charging stations at locations in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.
Z says it pumps more than 2 billions liters of fuel and a year, but when it comes to dispensing electricity (at approximately $5-$10 a pop, or 25 cents a minute) it will be foregoing keeping any revenue for itself; rather it will be providing the service as a convenience courtesy to its customers.

Z sustainability manager Gerri Ward on the decision to include an EVSE station at popular locations (via NZHerald):

“We’re not an oil company, we’re a transport energy company and we’re committed to meeting the needs of our customers, whatever they might be.”

As for the fees collected, everything goes to Charge.net.co.nz:

“There’s nothing commercial in it for us – we don’t expect to make any money out of it. It’s there as a service.”

Today, six fast charging locations are in operation at the busiest Z stations, but the company says it is open to making more spaces available at other sites, such as in Waiouru and Sanson – both seen as key “long distance” travel points. (end quote) .

The rapid-charge stations are being supplied by Charge Net and will be available for public use. The Tritium fast chargers draw up to 400 volts of electricity and can charge a standard electric vehicle in the time it takes a customer to buy and drink a cup of coffee.

Good idea, what do you think?

Link to Charge Net NZ New Zealand EV Charging stations and Map
Last edited by marty11 on Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Volt - June 2013
-----------------------------
Solar Charged from 10kw

MrD
Noobie

Post by MrD » Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 18:25

Most EV owners enjoy driving past petrol stations...that said, we call in occasionally to check our tyre pressure. Service centres on major highways will be the exception that have associated food outlets....and a 'top-up' at somewhere like Emdale Roadhouse could be useful....
MrD-13MiEV

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Wed, 13 Apr 2016, 05:27

Already happens in Japan where space is a premium
2011 i-MiEV - 123 kms dec 2017

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Wed, 13 Apr 2016, 05:38

“There’s nothing commercial in it for us – we don’t expect to make any money out of it. It’s there as a service.”

my ass

they will make lots out of normal sales (other than petrol) when EVers have to wait the 20 or so min to charge

as jack would say

"selling there hoho's and dingdongs"
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.