Australia's next electric highway?

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
jonescg

Post by jonescg » Sat, 25 Jul 2015, 19:51

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/ ... er-highway

Brisbane AEVA crew should get onto this!

Interesting that they want to start it on the freeway half way up the coast... And at a petrol station? I think they're missing out on a really great angle - local tourism.

Still, lets hope it goes places!
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

Gabz

Post by Gabz » Sat, 25 Jul 2015, 20:21

do you get a notification when I post to google+ ?

how many fast chargers to cover all the way to brisbane 15 -16 ?
Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Sat, 25 Jul 2015, 20:51

Yeah - that's how I got the link - through your Google+ notification. If you aim to put one fast charger every 80 km, you'd be looking at about 18 charging stations. However one every 100 km (~14)is probably adequate, since by the time this is rolled out, we'll have 200 km EVs available for purchase (late 2017).

EmpowerRepower
Groupie

Post by EmpowerRepower » Sat, 25 Jul 2015, 22:55

“Ergon Energy is offering the business owner the opportunity to 100% lease 25kW of solar panels and Economic Development Queensland will provide support for EV charger equipment leasing.”
Ergon Energy covers regional Qld only, and Economic Development Queensland also supports regional development. It does seem a pity to start at Townsville rather than the south-east, when there are more EVs down here, and only two fast chargers in Bris, with limited availability. Still, a good start, if businesses take it up. I'd like to see the chargers no more than 80 km apart, so that all ev owners, even those with less than perfect batteries, can use them.
Member of Sunshine Coast Community Solar committee
3 kW solar pv
Nissan Leaf EV, bought March 2015
EV/Sustainability blog at www.EmpowerRepower.com

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Sun, 26 Jul 2015, 02:23

According to this article in the Guardian:
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne ... -statewide
The plan is to connect the South East to Townsville. Very cool!

I wonder if they are inviting Tesla, or hoping for a more generic, non-proprietary network?

Perth to the South West, Sydney to Canberra, now Brisbane to Townsville!    We've started something big! Image

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 29 Jul 2015, 02:45

Nice one looks good to me. More fast chargers out of the city gets my vote.

I couldn't help myself reading through all the comments below the linked article. Boy there are some people with BIG opinions and small knowledge on the topic posting there. I guess you have to deal with that kind in all new ventures but some of them were just hopelessly misinformed and spreading made up rubbish.

Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 28 Jul 2015, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

Jasmin
Noobie

Post by Jasmin » Sun, 11 Oct 2015, 15:08

I was just thinking about this, and actually having charge points on an electric highway share an existing servo makes sence. Firstly, its practical, as you will be waiting around 30mins to charge, and on a long journey, chances are you will want to buy a coffee, use the loo etc. etc. - so chances are good that servos will give space for free to the charge network in order to get the benefit of the associated sales.

Secondly, if combined with good signage and visibility, it's excellent high-traffic site publicity for the existence of electric highway networks and the use of EVs. To this end, I think the federal gov't should develop a standard roadsign/symbol to indicate directions to where charge points are available, and ensure they are placed regularly along the highway both to ensure sites are easy to find for vehicles without GPS, and also to raise awareness (see this report the US government commissioned - http://www.afdc.energy.gov/uploads/publ ... feport.pdf).

Also, design the charging station for visibility within the site by using strong branding, and use of vertical architecture such a tall sun-shade/canopy/PV array, vertical sign for the e-highway branding etc, using the features already familiar to drivers from servos, which they associate with refuelling.

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Sun, 11 Oct 2015, 23:33

I'm not a fan of recharging stations at or near servos. Service stations embody everything we're trying to avoid - wham bam gas up and go. At least with the 30 minute recharge you have time to explore the main street and buy a coffee from a local shop that's not a BP or Caltex.

That said, if a servo wants to put one in, I'm sure it will get used. But if it was local government money that was paying for it, they'd probably prefer it was designed to support local firms.