Improving EV Charge Spots

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
Paul9
Groupie

Post by Paul9 » Mon, 18 May 2015, 19:54

Hi people,
I have been invited by the National Sustainability Manager for Stockland Malls to talk with him about charging points at Stockland Centres. Stockland has centres in Sydney and Melbourne with charging stations and will be rolling out another 8 charging stations in the next 12 months. The charging station at Stockland Balgowlah (Sydney) is a Chargepoint station so I assume (?) the others are also.

I thought I would post this to canvas suggestions I may give to Stockland to improve their roll out of charging stations.

A major problem I see with charging stations generally (not just at Stockland) is that ICE vehicles park in EV charging spots. It can be highly inconvenient if an EV is counting on getting a charge at a charging station and finds it occupied by an ICE vehicle. Stockland Balgowlah has two spaces, painted green, either of which can use the single Chargepoint station located between the two car spaces. There is a small sign between the two spaces which simply says “Electric Cars”. These spaces are fairly close (20 metres roughly) from a frequently used entrance to the centre. Both spaces were free the first time I visited Stockland Balgowlah but both were occupied by ICE vehicles the second time I visited.

The two improvements to the situation I can see are:

a)     Locate charging spaces well away from entrances to shopping centres. I suspect ICE vehicles which use EV spots are trying to park close to the shopping centre’s entrance to reduce the walk back to their car while lugging the week’s shopping. Any car space will be filled even if it is an EV spot. My guess is that locating EV charge spots at the opposite side of the carpark to the entrance would help discourage ICE use of EV spots. We EV drivers may have to walk slightly further to the entrance of the centre but at least our vehicles would have a better chance of getting a charge.

b)     Better and larger signage around EV spots. Stockland Balgowlah’s sign is small and simply says “Electric Cars”. It doesn’t say “No parking - Electric Car Charging Only” or something similar.

Could our members please give me any other ideas which may improve the ease of use of EV charging spots so I can take these ideas to Stocklands manager. Any comments on my above two ideas would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance
Paul

Feng
Groupie

Post by Feng » Mon, 18 May 2015, 20:36

How about traffic cones? I've seen that at a few public charging places, it might make a simple deterrent.

Richo

Post by Richo » Mon, 18 May 2015, 21:05

Yeah this issue is the same for parents with prams and the rarer one pregnant women parking.
You'll still find a redneck in a trashy ute parked there.
It wont make any difference if its an ev bay.

How about the promise of towing non-ev's or a $200 fine?
As long as the tow truck bay is next to it...

motorised bollard with swipe card - available from center management.

Less popular parking spot would give a higher chance.

Better signage may give marginal results but is cheap to implement.

The malls are wide enough and there would be no pollution - why get out ;)
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Tue, 19 May 2015, 01:44

i would get them to mount a security cam at the spots and if a car parks with out charging tow it away

EmpowerRepower
Groupie

Post by EmpowerRepower » Tue, 19 May 2015, 05:20

Hi Paul,

Both points a and b are excellent. If you are talking at all about possible locations for recharging, Caloundra Stocklands on the Sunshine Coast would be a great spot. The Sunshine Coast only has two public charging stations, both in awkward locations without the convenience of a shopping centre.
Member of Sunshine Coast Community Solar committee
3 kW solar pv
Nissan Leaf EV, bought March 2015
EV/Sustainability blog at www.EmpowerRepower.com

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 19 May 2015, 15:59

+ one for the above Image

I think a large sign with tow away warning would be best.

Boom gate is to expensive and most likely would get snapped of my people being silly with it.

Final option is a ARB 4wd speed valve remove tool. Spend 2 min removing and discarding of all 4 valves from the offenders tires. Would make it very inconvenient for them on returnImage

Kurt

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry » Tue, 19 May 2015, 16:30

The top floor of the Stockland Shellharbour has 3 vertical axis wind turbines operating so close to those would be an excellent position giving a full green corporate image. the same idea as above, tow away for non electric vehicles and a 2hr limit perhaps to avoid the all day parking of electric vehicles also blocking access. Stockland is also investing in the biggest commercial rooftop solar array in Aust and possibly the southern hemisphere on the whole Stockland complex at Shellharbour City, I know the Woolworths store at Stoney Ridge is part of Stockland Shellharbour so I assume the Bunnings store would be as well. so a very big area. The EV charging there would be genuine renewable energy powered.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Tue, 19 May 2015, 17:35

i have a disability parking permit and about 80% of the time i find the allotted parks taken by trade utes or rice burner hot rods

i just park behind them stopping them from leaving and put a nice little note on there screen with my phone number so i can "chat" to them

its funny how many call me upset about being parked in LOL
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Tue, 19 May 2015, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Tue, 19 May 2015, 18:05

With signage it would also be nice if there were directions to chargepoints from the main entrances. It can be quite a mission to find them in shopping centres with multiple large carparks, and people most likely to need a charge won't be locals (they would just charge at home).

Feng
Groupie

Post by Feng » Tue, 19 May 2015, 18:38

Would it be an idea to locate charging bays away from the main car park? Such as the loading dock, kerbside around the shopping complex, etc. Just to set it further apart from regular parking spots.

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Tue, 19 May 2015, 20:30

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/57570

Garden city ev spot near entrance
Black golf pretending to be ev
Last edited by g4qber on Tue, 19 May 2015, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 212

Feng
Groupie

Post by Feng » Tue, 19 May 2015, 20:46

Feel sorry for the owner, that's a 118TSI, the model that's known for engine failures.
Last edited by Feng on Tue, 19 May 2015, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

TooQik
Groupie

Post by TooQik » Tue, 19 May 2015, 21:03

To solve the problem of non electric vehicles parking in EV charging bays I only see two real options:

Section off an area of car park for EV only parking and add boom gate with card access.Add proximity sensors to EV charging bays / chargers so that any EV bay with a parked vehicle that is not connected to a charger for a set period of time generates an alert.

The first option is probably more costly and would require an appropriate system for the card access control.

The second option would allow for ad-hoc addition of charging bays but would require pro-active management of alerts. Alerts could either be sent to site management so an announcement to the public could be made to notify them their vehicle needs to be moved or result in being towed or fined. Alternatively alerts could be sent direct to a towing company.

carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 » Wed, 20 May 2015, 01:36

I like the alarm method....just clamp the car and charge $200 to remove.
I also like the tire valve tool idea.....
And parking them in is awesome!

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Wed, 20 May 2015, 05:08

+1 to having the EV charging location in a place that's normally not the desirable to park in

Also - when they're running wire to these new charge points, ask them to run wire for 4x as many

the wire is cheap, it's the running it that's expensive.
running the extra wire doesn't cost much more now, but does making upgrading *way* cheaper later on
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Wed, 20 May 2015, 05:53

antiscab wrote:the wire is cheap, it's the running it that's expensive.
running the extra wire doesn't cost much more now, but does making upgrading *way* cheaper later on

they dont even need to run the wire just a BIG conduit with a pull rope in it so if more needed they just drag them through

Richo

Post by Richo » Wed, 20 May 2015, 21:14

I was thinking of the auto rising bollards rather than a boom gate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRCA8MvedIo
Plus they make good TV Image

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 20 May 2015, 22:13

I'm sure that would cost more than a DC fast charger to install.

All they need to do is make the electric charging bays stand out more . A simple green line painted on the floor and a sign on a A4 paper isn't enough.

Keep it simple just a rope with a latch hook on the end between two posts is enough with a flag style banner suspended from the rope "electric car only"

Along with not putting the park in a prime spot where sneaky people will cotton onto it and use it. (seriously what powers do shopping center security have other than shining there strobe light at you)

Thinking about it more unless they put in lots of chargers or dc fast chargers. One or two slow chargers isn't going to be of much use once more ev's are on the road. As there will be some one charging on it every time you want to use it and on it for hrs if its a slow charger.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 20 May 2015, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Thu, 21 May 2015, 01:09

sorry offgrid but just "make the electric charging bays stand out more" dont do it

you carnt get much more IN YOUR FACE than this

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Thu, 21 May 2015, 01:19

i have a library of pic's of cars parked in disable zones ($380 fine as i got one when i forgot to put my tag on the dash) hell even 2 of cops doing it

if a fine dont stop them a sigh wont

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Thu, 21 May 2015, 07:46

I guess there are always some hey .

Reminds me once when I was visiting a friend living in a unit complex in Adelaide years ago. I parked in the (visitors) car park. When I came out to get my car another car had parked behind me blocking me in. Image After some time trying to find out who it was to get them to move it I gave up.

It was a small fwd hatch back, manual transition. Crawled underneath and operated the shift linkage by hand to get it out of gear. Then got a 12mm spanner from my cars tool kit and slackened off the handbrake cable.

Pushed the car directly back 30m to the other side of the car park. Put it back into gear, tensioned the HB cable. I then drove my car out, problem solved.It would have been nice to see the look on his - her face when they came looking for there car.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 20 May 2015, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

Gabz

Post by Gabz » Thu, 21 May 2015, 16:22

http://insideevs.com/one-charging-spot- ... e-drivers/

fines to pay for the electricity and fast chargers. they are a cash cow !

even worse is EV drivers that take the park and not charge. but it's hard to tell if they didn't charge or if someone came along and unplugged them and closed the hatch.
Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/

Simon

Post by Simon » Thu, 21 May 2015, 17:17

I had my Vectrix plugged in and charging at queensgate carpark Fremantle with a timer on the outlet. Was only on charge for less than 10 mins and somebody turned the timer dial. :( Luckily I had enough range to get home.

Richo

Post by Richo » Thu, 21 May 2015, 21:02

How about sensors in the bay.
When a car drives in a timer starts.
After 30 secs without being plugged in an alarms sounds and flashing lights start going.

This should stop even ev drivers from "just parking" too.

Could all be made into the charge box.

Paul9
Groupie

Post by Paul9 » Mon, 25 May 2015, 17:22

Thanks people!

I will collate these ideas and on forward to the Stockland Sustainability Manager.

I will let you know what feedback I get.

Cheers
Paul