EV Charge Places -Add A Site Please

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 »

Ok, I just added two spots today, by asking the proprietors if that was ok.

Added, Via Recargo website today http://www.recargo.com/search

Two I added were Jindabyne, and Marulan Truckstop, near Goulburn .

How to do it.

See if the owner is "positive" in allowing this to happen, find out

a. what hours they are open, and what days of the week. Both these are 7 days per week. Also if they have good parking!

b. Then go to the recargo website, become a member, and add sites.

As more ev's are registered , and people want to drive further, some discussion is happening around the world, on where to charge while travelling. And how far they can go!

Perhaps on Aeva forums, " EV Places To Charge" there could be a section in the general part of the forum .. maybe charging is coming of age, and importance to all EV'ers?

Either way, please see if you can ask someone to join recargo, and add sites! Image

ps.. Not affiliated with Recargo..it just seems easy to use

ps2. Looking forward to people adding a new site! The more the merrier for all of us!
Last edited by marty11 on Tue, 26 Nov 2013, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Volt - June 2013
-----------------------------
Solar Charged from 10kw
Feng
Groupie

Post by Feng »

Nice to know there's a spot at Marulan, I've always wanted to drive to Canberra in my LEAF. I haven't decided if it's just a silly idea or something to try one day.
marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 »

melbourne to Brisbane would be a nice aim.. to start.. even if they are only overnight stops.. not everyone will put in a fast charger for EV'ers.

So just to be able to get say 10amp charging at locations approx. 100 kms apart would be a start. I actually asked at Cooma at a Service Station but the young girl was quite rude. So I asked at another place, and they told me about someone "nice" to go visit next time I am in Cooma.

I might try Goulburn sometime as well, and Mittagong.

Anyone want to tackle Hornsby and tuggerah, and Newcastle? (I believe Westfield was reportedly (on AEVA forum) as pulling out of ev charging? )
Holden Volt - June 2013
Solar Charged from 10kw
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

btw marty 10amp 240volt single phase is a i-type not other conductive
marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 »

Thanks Gabz.. see you or someone fixed it..
Holden Volt - June 2013
Solar Charged from 10kw
Johny

Post by Johny »

So what are the Nema 5-20R outlets on recargo?
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

american 125v plugs... if you see them in Australia they are wrong data in recargo i assume.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector#NEMA_5

Where as we use 10amp 15amp 20amp type i for single phase http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS_3112
Johny

Post by Johny »

Gabz wrote: american 125v plugs... if you see them in Australia they are wrong data in recargo i assume.
That makes sense - thanks.
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

Marty you may also want to hand them one of these

Factsheet on EV charging
marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 »

Thanks Gabz !

I took the question to them..

"you already have a 10amp outside GPO there, would you let an EV driver use it? and would you mind if it was advertised for free on Recargo website"

..path to get the ball rolling. So far two more Recargo sites available 7 days per week. .both with easy off street parking..

Maybe later, when they get a few EV's come through, a dedicated 15 amp Weather Rated Outlet would be a lot better!

To start with though, I feel not many businesses will want to INVEST a LOT of money , for a "hard to see it" return of Customer building efforts from EV's.. like the Marulan guy said.. "never seen a plug in car before"

I believe that if there are enough outlets to even get EV's out of their small range impediments, so that they can enjoy say a weekend away in them instead of just local shopping/ work trips, is a good thing!

(Like the trip to Bateau Bay in NSW for EV's , from Newcastle / Sydney (a 90 km trip from both ends) Image   That Caravan Park , like many others, has 15 AMP All weather outlets.

To get more outlets on recargo , even at 10 amps is a start (We all want 30 minute superchargers for a 30 minute 20 kwh charge every 100 km/ or so.. but how many places are prepared to plonk that kinda cash down right now to help out a very small percentage of the motoring public.

I believe fast charging will take a long time to eventuate in Australia, but the cheaper option of finding owners of 10 or 15 amp outdoor charging points , that owners may let EV motorists use, is a "low hanging fruit" way to extend the EV charging network, without requiring major capital investment and in a quicker time frame.

Some of those sites may, if they get enough "Patronage" , then decide its worth the investment to spend up and get one of the faster charging options for their EV customers.

So, thanks for the link ! (Yes I have it bookmarked)

Try and get someone on board ! Add a site on recargo!

Make sure they are open 7days, and have a 10 or 15 amp outlet, have adequate parking..and it wont cost them any money! Once they get a few EV cars in to use it,they will think more about it!

ps.. A lot of Car yards, such as Holden in Sutherland eg, are so full of cars everywhere I would not use them to charge even if they were keen, too hard to park.
Last edited by marty11 on Tue, 26 Nov 2013, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Volt - June 2013
Solar Charged from 10kw
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Would be great if we could do something similar to
http://zerocarbonworld.org/

Keep things simple and get a foot in the door
Last edited by g4qber on Wed, 27 Nov 2013, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

marty11 wrote: (Like the trip to Bateau Bay in NSW for EV's , from Newcastle / Sydney (a 90 km trip from both ends) Image   That Caravan Park , like many others, has 15 AMP All weather outlets.

that caravan park unlike all the other ones the leaf guys called on the central coast didn't charge them the full cost of a powered site for the day. (it also helped that the managers are my in-laws)

I'll sit down and draft a generic letter for accommodation places around Newcastle with the hunter EV festival going over a weekend next year it would be good to have a list of accommodation that is EV supportive.
marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 »

Gabz wrote: that caravan park didn't charge them the full cost of a powered site for the day. (it also helped that the managers are my in-laws)

I'll sit down and draft a generic letter for accommodation places around Newcastle with the hunter EV festival going over a weekend next year it would be good to have a list of accommodation that is EV supportive.

ohh ok, would the caravan park be happy to just make a charge, say if they pay 25-30 cents per kwh , add a bit on top?   for ev'ers? I figure even if they charged the same amount for electricity as they are paying, they wouldn't be out of pocket, but people might then say. .how much is a cabin /Van etc. so they pick up accommodation sales by being nice. . ? OR is the cost of a powered site so cheap anyway. . just use that option? How much is a powered site I wonder.

Maybe some of this info could be useful to your draft letter.

Either way, I think the recargo sites should not force people to pay more than what a EV charge should reasonably cost to keep that network cost effective for customers to use. Add- ons such as accommodation etc . should be purely optional.

I notice some stores in the US put ev chargers right in front of their stores, to encourage patronage. This is why the Marulan store allowed their in front power point to be used by EV-ers. ( I will use that one again in a weeks time when I travel through there. )

Also, maybe those letters could be handed out to EV visitors at the Festival.

At the Motel in Jindabyne, charge is 30 cents per kwh for non -staying cars, or free if a Motel Customer. (As an example)

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by marty11 on Wed, 27 Nov 2013, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Volt - June 2013
Solar Charged from 10kw
marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 »

g4qber wrote: Would be great if we could do something similar to
http://zerocarbonworld.org/

Keep things simple and get a foot in the door

Its not as simple as it seems. .great website though!

Businesses have to pay thousands for a charge point to be installed, Cant see small aussie businesses doing that..at this point in the network expansion.. there are hardly enough points available across Australia!

I read a fair bit of it. A Motel would have also to agree to electrical cables being run around external walls, and no underground cabling etc. Customer also pays. (Not much .. but they still pay)

Businesses must also have the chargers places within 30 metres of their meter box.. no always possible.

They also no longer offer free chargers to customers.

As to "keep things simple to get foot in the door.." absolutely!

Cheers.. .Marty
Last edited by marty11 on Wed, 27 Nov 2013, 04:34, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Volt - June 2013
Solar Charged from 10kw
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

Ok here is my update only got 1 reply. might increase the net to included maitland as well.
http://noronha.id.au/2013/12/ev-friendly-accomondation/
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

Update my wife dropped off a letter and factsheet at http://www.organicfeast.com.au/ they currently don't have a external powerpoint that i could easily spot so they said they liked the idea and would reconsider next year when some more capital funds come through.

I'm still working on a letter for http://oliversrealfood.com.au/ as you can see I have a theme going targeting businesses which already look outside the box.
marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 »

Hi Gabz,

Thanks for doing that!

I think restaurants and motels are good places to target for sure. .also service stations.

Any large car park areas with an outside outlet to possible either part charge or fully charge a BEV, or an EREV ,are great targets.

Can anyone else think of places that a friendly request might get a "Yes"

to allow EV charging?

Recruiting the wife is clever gabz Image
Holden Volt - June 2013
Solar Charged from 10kw
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Yep we need more wives and women as they get things done.
Ceo of gm is now a woman. About time.
Man I feel like a woman
Last edited by g4qber on Thu, 12 Dec 2013, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy »

Just got this email....

Dear Recargo Member,

Recargo and PlugShare merged in the spring of this year -- since then we've been working hard to combine all of the content from the Recargo Station Finder and PlugShare. Moving forward we will be focusing our efforts on PlugShare. By working on one app we will be able to bring you cool new features even faster than before!

Starting today, you can link your Recargo account to a new PlugShare account. Checkins, photos and location information from Recargo have been moved to PlugShare and are ready to explore.

Set up my new PlugShare account

With PlugShare, you can do cool new things: share your home charger, checkin and message other drivers, see the PlugScore of the station, Pay with PlugShare, and more! We're excited to have a larger team to support you and make driving an electric vehicle even easier than before.

We've set up an FAQ here for Recargo members who would like to learn more. If you have any questions or want to offer feedback, please let us know at info@plugshare.com.

The PlugShare Team

Available on the App Store, Google Play, and PlugShare.com

Edit sorry links not added but I'm sure you figure it out

Bruce
Last edited by CometBoy on Fri, 13 Dec 2013, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

they haven't done a great job taking the Australian data across

can anyone else install the android app it doesn't install on my phone ?https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .Plugshare

edit: app isn't available in Australia
Last edited by Gabz on Fri, 13 Dec 2013, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy »

App works fine on the iPhone?

Will try the Android later....

Bruce

Update: You are right says 'not available in your country'
Last edited by CometBoy on Fri, 13 Dec 2013, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

disappointed plugshare isn't any where near as good, I can't change the plug type to correct one i can't even change it on my home !
CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy »

Just got this email (14/12/13) about the Android App....

"Hello Bruce,

Thanks for contacting us. I understand your concern. We're working to open the Android version of PlugShare to the global community soon. We anticipate it will be available at the beginning of January at the latest.

Best Regards,

Nick Wild"
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

James Hatton is still working on transferring the data from recargo, should be done by early next year.
recargo will eventually be retired.

here is a way to install plugshare on android in aus
http://youtu.be/BkA0j6fFoXk

on iphone i think i had to change my location to US
Last edited by g4qber on Sat, 14 Dec 2013, 05:07, edited 1 time in total.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

http://mobile.jetts.com.au/

Perhaps we can approach jetts 24 hour fitness?
They already have free wifi