Bosch Says Electric Vehicles Won’t Become Pervas

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
MikeD
Groupie

Post by MikeD »

An intersting perspective...

Full electric power trains like battery electrics, hydrogen fuel cells, and so forth are coming, but slowly. Let’s face it: most of those on the market so far are nothing more than curiosities. The Tesla Roadster and the Aptera 2e, while they look really good and are desirable vehicles, aren’t exactly mainstream. Read more at ....

bosch article

MODERATOR EDIT: made link clickable
Last edited by antiscab on Fri, 17 Jul 2009, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
AEVA National & NSW Branch Treasurer

acmotor

Post by acmotor »

Oh dear.
More industry doubt.

But then smoking doesn't cause lung cancer and digital cameras will never replace film if you believed the industry experts of the past.
And man, I bet GM regrets crushing the EV1 now !

There is nothing wrong with Bosch's future directions IMHO, just their timeline. If they are spending 4.3b (US?) on research (oil and electric), then if they spent it on EV alone they could make great advances in EVs. Too much power over our future ?
In fact, it is their own mis-directed research (IMO) that will help retard the EV. Maybe that just means that someone else will take over the tasks.
I've mumbled before that the big vehicle manufacturer's mistake is thinking they know what to do, rather than reading the writing on the wall.
After all, there are a number of big players in the vehicle industry who would rather blame morgages than their own lack of direction.

Mazda says it is not going EV, Mitsubishi says it will never build a hybrid, just go straight to BEV. Image I can see Mazda's gamble.
But it is a concern. One of them will go to the wall (the one with the writing on it)
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

All this doubt and delay is bad for the consumer, bad for the environment, bad for our cause.

But it is also an opportunity; it looks like small and medium scale converters don't have to be worried about being trampled by the big guys, because they're off playing a different game.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

At least it sounds like we've reached stage 3 of J.B.S. Haldane's 4 stages of acceptance.

"i. this is worthless nonsense,
ii. this is interesting, but perverse,
iii. this is true, but quite unimportant,
iv. I always said so."
— J.B.S. Haldane
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

Electrocycle
MSN: dumhed@dumhed.com

Post by Electrocycle »

they are saying it'll take that long for EVs to become pervasive, which is probably not far off the mark.
Even if we stopped selling ICE cars now it'd take close to 10 years to get most of them off the road.

I guess it's up to us to get as many EVs on the road as possible :)
The Engine Whisperer - fixer of things

acmotor

Post by acmotor »

Sorry, I still think it is a gross underestimation of the takeup time.
I am happy for history to be the judge. Image When you have as much grey hair as me, you know how fast technology changes things. I could send you a telegram on that stop.

Perhaps fuel price doubling would change a few things ?

But yes, EV enthusiasts have to spread the word and provide example.Image
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

acmotor wrote: Mazda says it is not going EV, Mitsubishi says it will never build a hybrid, just go straight to BEV.

They both seem a bit odd to me. We have two cars. The recently converted small BEV and our smallish petrol station wagon that can take four of us on camping trips, out of town etc. Ideally, I would replace the petrol car with a plug-in hybrid. I would predict that families with two adults commuting and kids to run around will want a small BEV to use preferentially around town and a somewhat larger plug in hybrid with range, but often both will be used for short trips. If the latter has a good design the petrol in the tank might last for months between longer trips.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.