Taking MPs for a Spin in the EV

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
drowe67
Groupie

Post by drowe67 »

My local Federal (Mark Butler, Port Adelaide) and State (Michael Atkinson, Croydon) MPs were in the park across the road today, so I had a chat to them about EVs and took them for a spin around the block in my EV. They asked some good questions like costs, scalability, battery technology, top speed etc.

It was fun and they were happy to listen. My wife Rosemary and I just told them what it was like to own and drive an EV from experience. I think that's different to what they would get from industry and lobbyist groups. The rest of the neighborhood people there to meet the MPs were also fascinated.

Mark said he would speak to Peter Garrett. Who knows where this will go but it's a small step to putting EVs "on the map" for the Australian government. I am sure these guys won't forget their first drive in an EV.......

I also handed them the flyer below, just a 1 pager they could take away and get some key points. Tried to frame it from a point of view of what matters to them.

Cheers,

David

---------------------------------------------------------------

The next time there is a concern over:

* Greenhouse gas emissions
* Petrol Prices and dependence of foreign oil
* The Australian Car industry

Consider Electric Cars:

* Inexpensive to build in volume (2/3 of cost of petrol cars due to reduced complexity)
* Nearly free to operate (a few cents/km in electricity)
* Have nearly zero maintenance (only wearing parts are brakes and tyres)
* Have adequate range and performance for 90% of Adelaide driving (ABS stats)
* Have zero Greenhouse emissions if charged from a home PV solar system

There are opportunities for Australian business:

* Large car manufacturers (new Electric Cars)
* Small business (conversions of existing petrol cars, just like LPG conversions)
* Suppliers (batteries, motors, electronics)
* Export (we could lead the rest of the world, rather than importing electric cars)
* Leap-frog hybrid technology to pure electric
* Would complement a huge expansion of renewable energy (solar and wind)
* Dramatically reduce Australian dependence of foreign oil

One immediate action that would help build an electric car industry

* Extend $2,000 LPG conversion subsidy to electric vehicle conversions

Personal experience
-------------------

My wife Rosemary and I drive an electric car every day. We do 90% of our driving in the electric car and rarely use our 2nd petrol car. Our car is a recycled petrol car that we converted to electric drive. We recharge from a PV solar array and emit no greenhouse gases. We only visit the petrol station to get air for the tyres and the car needs no regular servicing. We effectively drive for free. To convert a small petrol car to electric and install a PV solar array to charge it costs less than a medium size new car. Why isn't everybody doing this?

Driving an EV every day
http://www.rowetel.com/ev.html

woody

Post by woody »

Hi Dave! Great Work! good summary and here's hoping the extend the LPG grant next time they need to divert attention from a scandal :-) Shouldn't be long!
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Yes, congratulations indeed. I really think that this sort of thing is likely to be more effective in the end than a hundred letters or emails. You never know when the opportunity will strike (though perhaps the October event in Canberra will be a possibility), so we need as many conversions as possible so the opportunities like this can be taken advantage of.

Image Well done! Image Image
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

drowe67
Groupie

Post by drowe67 »

An update: I just had a letter from Mark Butler and Peter Garrett thanking me for my submission. Peter was particularly pleased with the tie in with PV Solar - I guess the PV rebate program is his baby so it's good for him to see it used in such a novel way. He has passed the submission onto Senator Kim Carr (Minister for Innovation, Industry, Science and Research).

My request in the submission (see above) was for something similar to the LPG conversion rebate for EVs - I feel that would really help kick start a local EV industry. Perhaps with Obama's latest moves to lower emission vehicles the time is right.

Pls contact you own MP and make the same request. From my experience you can see that it is possible to get heard at ministerial level.

I feel the best approach is to frame our requests in a way that helps the Government solve their current problems, for example action on greenhouse, building local industry, and making good use of EVs with PV solar.

Cheers,

David
Driving an EV every day

Thalass

Post by Thalass »

Do you have a link to an online version of the pamphlet, or a pdf download I can attach to an email to my MP.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

drowe67
Groupie

Post by drowe67 »

Here is the Electric Car Submission in MS Word Format:

http://www.rowetel.com/downloads/electr ... ission.doc
Driving an EV every day

drowe67
Groupie

Post by drowe67 »

Update: I just received a letter from Sen. Kim Carr, the Minister who handles EVs under his portfolio of Industry. Like Peter Garrett, he really liked the ideas of EVs powered from grid connect PV.

He mentioned the various EV related initiatives such as "A New Car Plan for a Greener Future", Project Better Place, the Toyota Hybrid, and the MIEV. He declined to extend the LPG conversion rebate to EVs.

I must say I am impressed with the Australian Government. Here I am, some guy with a relatively obscure agenda (EVs) but I have now had responses from 3 MPs (two of them Ministers) at nearly the top of our government.

I feel this has at least planted the idea of (i) solar powered EVs (ii) a EV conversion rebate and (iii) EV conversions compared to new cars at a high level of government. As fuel prices and the green agenda rises the idea of an EV conversion rebate may look better and better.

I am thinking about next steps. I feel a EV conversion rebate addresses (i) the low end of the EV market (ii) builds local industry and (iii) gets more EV on the road faster than $a 60k MIEV in 2012 (or whenever) or Toyota hybrids.

I don't have the time or inclination to coordinate a major campaign myself but I do wonder what the effect would be of 50-100 similar letters to mine landing on Sen. Carr's desk....

- David
Driving an EV every day

htial
Groupie

Post by htial »

Hay David...

It's awesome that there are MPs out there that are giving responses...   ...I've been kinda trying this on a more local level with the Dandenong Council here in Melbourne...   ...The main shopping strip and mall areas are getting a huge redevelopment and I've been going to some meetings and asking where are the water catchments, solar panels, and EV charging points...

A lot of the time I just get ignored (and even laughed at) and told that it is State and Federal Governments responsibility to make those decisions...   ...But my thinking is that it is going to take local Governments to take the first steps...   ...If a local Government puts in Public Charging Parking around their public transport hubs and shopping areas...   ...Then the visibility of EVs will grow...   ...especially if it goes - Shop Entrance > Disability Parking > EV Charging Parking > The Rest...

drowe67
Groupie

Post by drowe67 »

Thanks Htial - you keep plugging away with the local governments. Eventually our efforts will meet in the middle. Every time some one sees you in an EV, or when you talk about an EV it plants a seed of an idea. Doesn't matter what their response is.
Driving an EV every day

htial
Groupie

Post by htial »

Sadly I'm no where near driving around in my own EV...   ...And at $60,000.oo...   ...the iMiEV is out of my reach without government help...

I know what I want to do for my own conversion...   ...But I'm still in the process of educating myself on how to achieve it...