Electric Vehicles in Last Newcastle Hill Climb

Where hooligans go to get AMPED
Sutho
Groupie

Post by Sutho » Thu, 01 Oct 2015, 17:50

The NSW State Hill Climb Championship is being held at King Edward Park in Newcastle this Sunday 4th October 2015.

Due to planned Council developments to King Edward Park, this is the last time this historic race will be held in Newcastle and it is also the first time that Electric Vehicles will compete in the event.

The two electrics are a Tesla Roadster and our ELMOFO Electric Radical.

The track incorporates a very steep and bumpy "pinch" section which will not be kind to the extremely low front splitter on the Radical. It's likely to result in momentary loss of steering followed by some air-time which could be interesting to watch. Image

Come along and check it out if you are in the area.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/33838 ... ill-climb/

TooQik
Groupie

Post by TooQik » Thu, 01 Oct 2015, 18:17

Good luck for the hillclimb. Wish I was in NSW so I could watch you take the Radical up the hill, I can imagine it will cause quite a stir.

I was hoping to have my Celica conversion completed in time for the Legend of the Lakes Hillclimb in Mount Gambier in November, an event I've been completing in driving a Subaru Impreza STi for a number of years, but unfortunately I've been rather slack. Image

Sutho
Groupie

Post by Sutho » Thu, 01 Oct 2015, 19:01

TooQik wrote: Good luck for the hillclimb. Wish I was in NSW so I could watch you take the Radical up the hill, I can imagine it will cause quite a stir.

Cheers! Let's hope it causes a stir coz it's electric and fast....not because I hit a wall. :-)

TooQik
Groupie

Post by TooQik » Thu, 01 Oct 2015, 23:35

Yeah, definitely leave out the hitting of anything part...unless it's hitting the maximum speed for the car. Image

TooQik
Groupie

Post by TooQik » Thu, 15 Oct 2015, 22:28

Hey Brett,

I see from the results that you managed 12th outright and a run of 40.37, nice effort. Image

How did you find the course?

Just over 2 seconds quicker than the Tesla too. Much interest shown by other competitors and spectators in the EVs?

Sutho
Groupie

Post by Sutho » Tue, 20 Oct 2015, 18:26

TooQik wrote:I see from the results that you managed 12th outright and a run of 40.37, nice effort. Image

How did you find the course?

Just over 2 seconds quicker than the Tesla too. Much interest shown by other competitors and spectators in the EVs?

The course was pretty tight and I had to take it really wide around the pinch to keep the front wheels on the ground.

We weren't racing for the championship and I didn't want to risk putting it into a wall, so I held back a little.

The car was capable of going faster if it was in the hands of a more experienced driver, but I don't think it could have won in it's current configuration as it has about 20 times the required battery capacity (and weight) on-board. The top cars (Dallaras, etc.) weighed half as much with more horsepower.

Was a great event. Matt did really well in his Tesla Roadster as well. I got a trophy for the electric record of that track which will stand forever as, unfortunately, it was the last hill climb to be run there.

Short video: http://youtu.be/c-9w9c3YWrg