Electric Racer beats field of petrol cars...twice

Where hooligans go to get AMPED
Sutho
Groupie

Post by Sutho » Tue, 19 Aug 2014, 02:23

Team ELMOFO had some success against the gassers in Round 4 of the NSW State Championships Supersport series:

http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/201 ... field.html

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 19 Aug 2014, 03:14

Nice one Brett! A 57 second lap of Wakefield park is good going in any class of racing! Any video from the race?

Let's see if Voltron can get the eFX record next month...
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

Sutho
Groupie

Post by Sutho » Tue, 19 Aug 2014, 03:59

jonescg wrote: Nice one Brett! A 57 second lap of Wakefield park is good going in any class of racing! Any video from the race?

Let's see if Voltron can get the eFX record next month...

Cheers Chris. Was the quickest lap of 170 cars in 8 categories including Formula 3. Garth done a great job.

We only had a 1 hour gap between Qualifying and Race 1. As you know, this is a very small window to cool and recharge a race EV. We managed to pull it off....but forgot to press Go on the GoPro. Image

I have some trackside videos of sections of the race...and I do have full footage of the 2nd win.

TooQik
Groupie

Post by TooQik » Tue, 19 Aug 2014, 20:44

Awesome work! Image

Have you thought about hillclimbing the car? Or are you sticking to track events only?

Sutho
Groupie

Post by Sutho » Wed, 20 Aug 2014, 17:54

TooQik wrote: Awesome work! Image

Have you thought about hillclimbing the car? Or are you sticking to track events only?

We have sort of achieved what I set out to do, which was basically beat petrol powered equivalents on their own terms and stir things up.

We probably went too fast too soon and put some people off side...but we have changed a lot of people's perception of electric cars and even had devout petrol head racers come up to me at the track on the weekend and say things like "I wasn't a fan of this thing before....but I'm certainly on-board now."

I don't really know where we will take it from here. The Supersport races are going to be longer from here on in, so we won't be running anymore. They had typically ran a short, mid and longer race each round in the past. For the last 2 rounds they ran 2 short and 1 long race to show support for the new technology...but the other drivers aren't real keen on the short sprint races anymore.

Would be nice to take it overseas to run in some of the high profile events like Pikes Peak....but the car is too low for many hillclimb circuits in Australia. It may be time to mothball it and transfer the drive system into something else...
Last edited by Sutho on Wed, 20 Aug 2014, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.

TooQik
Groupie

Post by TooQik » Wed, 20 Aug 2014, 19:34

You've definitely stirred things up and it would be a shame to see the car retired so quickly.

I think the vehcile would be ideal for hillclimbs, even if it did mean minor adjustments to the ride height.

There's an Ultra Race Car which was brought out for the Legend of the Lakes Hillclimb last year and the Alma Hillclimb this year (pictured here) which I could see you competing against, not to mention all the other vehicles. Hillclimbs offer a great mixture of vehicles to compete against and showcase what an electric can do.

I'm hoping to swap from my hillclimb STi to my Celica once I complete my electric conversion and doing some events.

Sutho
Groupie

Post by Sutho » Wed, 20 Aug 2014, 20:57

I look forward to seeing an electric Celica in some motorsport events.

I did a couple of demonstration runs in my electric DeLorean at the Newcastle Mattara Hill Climb about 18 months back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjYsr_r9e2I