FIA Formula E Championship

Where hooligans go to get AMPED
Crash
Groupie

Post by Crash »

FIA to Establish Electric version of F1
The FIA are moving on establishing what they see as being the top international electric racing formula. An expression of interest closed earlier in the year for manufacturers to put forward proposal to construct up to 24 electric racing cars for the championship. They have proposed starting the series in the second half of 2013 with full competition commencing 2014. The championship would include a constructors prize similar to F1.

The EOI document has a fair bit of detail but leaves a lot of scope for new and innovative vehicle design and can be found at http://www.fia.com/en-GB/Documents/eoi-formula-e.pdf
Thalass

Post by Thalass »

Very interesting. The first pages make it sound like it could end up being a one-manufacturer competition, which has its merits but i don't think would be good for EVs or electric motorsport. I wonder if Tesla Motors know about this...
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.
Faz
Groupie

Post by Faz »

15 minute races with an allowable ~50kWh of battery (If using off the shelf Lipo), sounds alright.
Sounds like all four wheels driven with separate axial flux motors might be the winning combo.
Richo

Post by Richo »

Well they now got 10 teams to start racing next year...

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news.aspx

Updated news link so it still works.
Last edited by Richo on Thu, 28 Aug 2014, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
Johny

Post by Johny »

They sound like they have gears.
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

omg only 25% of the pack was in it and they where getting wheel spin

this could turn out to be a very interesting race set

the next step will be how far can we go that these speeds i hope
85turbo
Groupie

Post by 85turbo »

Johny wrote: They sound like they have gears.

they do. they are running a 2 speed trans i believe...

it's all they need given the torque on demand from the electric motor(s)

Jason
Sutho
Groupie

Post by Sutho »

I'd like to give them a run in the ELMOFO Radical.

50% more power with 28% more weight and greater range. Still a high down-force car capable of high speed cornering....and built in Australia without multi-million dollar funding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=586yC2ckbGs
Kieran
Groupie

Post by Kieran »

Round 1: Bejing, 13th September.

I'm trying to work out which team to barrack for. I'm leaning toward Venturi because they are an EV manufacturer.
Richo

Post by Richo »

EUR$55 (AUD$77) sounds reasonable for ticket pricing.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
Jeff Owen
Groupie

Post by Jeff Owen »

The first Formula E race did not end well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r700R2c3t4s
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

If Prost is associated with a Formula E team, I want any team but his to win.
Last edited by EV2Go on Sat, 13 Sep 2014, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

Sutho wrote: I'd like to give them a run in the ELMOFO Radical.

50% more power with 28% more weight and greater range. Still a high down-force car capable of high speed cornering....and built in Australia without multi-million dollar funding.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=586yC2ckbGs" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=586yC2ckbGs</a>
How do you make an electric car sound like it's coming on boost? is that the controller making that high pitched whine?

Seems pretty quick, those Formula E don't look all that quick.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

that's what happens when you race on the 13th
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
Crash
Groupie

Post by Crash »

I thought it ended brilliantly. Crashes get a lot more media coverage and this one was spectacular and well timed for greatest effect with the two leading drivers on the last lap. More people will tune in next race to see what happens between the two drivers next time.
Noone was hurt and it was a great demonstration of the safety of the battery pack in an accident. A great start to formula E.
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

Anywhere someone could catch a replay?
reecho

Post by reecho »

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

Sweet! Thanks. Time to pick some new favourite drivers. I see Bruno Senna at the back of the field, he didn't do all that well in F1, but hope he does well here.
adelaide-ev
Groupie

Post by adelaide-ev »

Crash wrote: I thought it ended brilliantly. Crashes get a lot more media coverage and this one was spectacular and well timed for greatest effect with the two leading drivers on the last lap. More people will tune in next race to see what happens between the two drivers next time.
Noone was hurt and it was a great demonstration of the safety of the battery pack in an accident. A great start to formula E.

Absolutely spot on...just made the Ten sports news "play of the day" here in Adelaide!
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

Why was Prost classified as finishing higher than Heidfeld. Nick was on the inside of the corner at the time of the accident putting him closer to the lead, and his car finished up being closer to the finish line after the accident, so how did the FAI decide that Prost was 12th? Hmmm seems like here we go again... If your French and your name is Prost the FAI will do everything in its power to make sure you win. Surprised they did red flag the race before anyone crossed the line and count back a lap that would be their style.

Lots of second rate F1 drivers in the field and the pace wasn't as high as one might expect. At those speeds I could have driven in that field. BUT all said and done I really enjoyed the race and would probably go to watch one live.
Sutho
Groupie

Post by Sutho »

EV2Go wrote:
Sutho wrote: I'd like to give them a run in the ELMOFO Radical.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=586yC2ckbGs" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=586yC2ckbGs</a>
How do you make an electric car sound like it's coming on boost? is that the controller making that high pitched whine?

Seems pretty quick, those Formula E don't look all that quick.

The high pitched turbo-like sound is coming from the motors.

The rougher gear sound is coming from the motor's gear-rotor oil pump. As the motors are solid mounted, the gear sound gets transmitted into the chassis and into the GoPro more readily.

The gear-rotor sound is barely audible when driving the car. All you can really hear through a helmet is the motors which sound like a turbine spooling up. This gives some reference of RPM.

The Formula-E cars are fantastic, but are running lower power (probably for more range) and are little too "nice" for my liking. A bit more rawness and "on-the-edge" engineering would be more attractive.

I believe the main thing that attracts people to motorsport is to see drivers risking their own safety by running a car at it's absolute limit with a strong possibility that something could let go.

Formula-E need to step it up a bit to have a chance of keeping people interested.
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

Ok so it is more of a resonant frequency causing it to suddenly increase in volume rather than noise from another source. That would make sense considering how they are mounted.

Didn't notice a huge amount of gear change noise, as I presume that it would be a fairly close ratio box compared to an F1 ICE box, since they are doing about half the speed and have the added benefit of extra torque of the bat.

Yes I guess risk is one element that brings people to motorsport but I would say noise would be an even greater one. Lots of people complained when they changed the F1 motors this season because they are so much quieter. I couldn't imagine watching a top fuel run and not feeling the exhaust pressure and the noise, it is what makes the run so thrilling to the senses.

Astatically I can live with the new cars, not overly fussed on the scoops in front of the front wheels to direct air over the tyre, but hey its electric you don't have power to waste like F1.

Also the camera in the nose was a bit annoying at times, just like the ones on the MotoGP bikes, they obscure the view too much and could easily be placed somewhere better. Did anyone catch Rossi's fantastic win last night? been waiting patiently for ages for it in the dry.
Sutho
Groupie

Post by Sutho »

EV2Go wrote: Didn't notice a huge amount of gear change noise, as I presume that it would be a fairly close ratio box compared to an F1 ICE box, since they are doing about half the speed and have the added benefit of extra torque of the bat.

Yes I guess risk is one element that brings people to motorsport but I would say noise would be an even greater one. Lots of people complained when they changed the F1 motors this season because they are so much quieter. I couldn't imagine watching a top fuel run and not feeling the exhaust pressure and the noise, it is what makes the run so thrilling to the senses.

We don't run a gearbox (ample torque) so there is no "gear change" noise. I was referring to the whirring gear-rotor sound from the oil pump which is the dominant sound in our GoPro videos.

We all associate loud noise with motorsport cos' that's how it has always been. I agree that there's something special about the sound of a high performance race engine (particularly a mid-eighties 600hp Group B rally car screaming through a forest) but we all need to start appreciating that performance can be quiet too. The noise is wasted energy.

We were concerned that the lack of noise from our race car would be an issue too...but it's a whole new experience when it rips past at ~240km/h with the aggressive sound of air being forced out of the way with a turbine back note. Of course this is followed by a pack of petrol cars sounding like a swarm of loud angry bees that hurt your ears.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8K8HZqcwbk
Coulomb Racing
Groupie

Post by Coulomb Racing »

I personally believe that Formula E would be better off running two or even four 10 lap races at full speed than trying to conserve power. They could use the second car for the second race while fast charging the first car for the 3rd race etc.

A lot more high speed racing for fans and draws it out over the day so more value for money. They could do with a bit more noise but again if they were running flat out for 10 laps it'd be more impressive and you'd hear and see even more lock ups and sideways action.
Please like us on Facebook: Coulomb Motorsport
Johny

Post by Johny »

It appears that they have to stay under 28kw/h for the race otherwise they are penalized. So is the race for x laps or 15 minutes?