ChargePoint McDonalds Dural

For New South Wales Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
ohmboy
Groupie

Post by ohmboy »

ChargePoint is opening the first EV Charging at McDonalds restaurant in Australia.

Tuesday October 4th at 6:00pm
Cnr New Line Rd. and Old Northern Rd. Dural

There will be media there so more EVs the better.
Last edited by ohmboy on Sat, 24 Sep 2016, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
www.evalbum.com/1608
Headway, Soliton, Advanced DC, Batrium BMS
LauraiMiEV
Groupie

Post by LauraiMiEV »

Is this going to be an initiative across all McDonalds or just this one in Dural?
markrmarkr
Groupie

Post by markrmarkr »

I'll go.
MarkR

Driving a 2012 Nissan Leaf, Red - they go faster.
Autumn
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

LauraiMiEV wrote: Is this going to be an initiative across all McDonalds or just this one in Dural?

I'm Working on getting more ChargePoints into McDonalds. There may be 1 more in the pipeline shortly.
What would EV owners be prepared to pay for a DC (CHAdeMO/CCS) 80% charge. $5,6,8,12?
markrmarkr
Groupie

Post by markrmarkr »

Greg partridge wrote:
LauraiMiEV wrote: Is this going to be an initiative across all McDonalds or just this one in Dural?

I'm Working on getting more ChargePoints into McDonalds. There may be 1 more in the pipeline shortly.
What would EV owners be prepared to pay for a DC (CHAdeMO/CCS) 80% charge. $5,6,8,12?

I'd pay $10 happily.

Hey, if every McDonalds between Sydney and Canberra had Chademo I'd name my 2nd Child Ronald and pay $20.
MarkR

Autumn
markrmarkr
Groupie

Post by markrmarkr »

Greg,
what sort of turn out are you expecting at Dural tomorrow? Is it just you and me?

Also could you bring your Tesla to J1772 adapter please, I'd really like to look at it, and pick your brain If I get a chance.

Mark
Last edited by markrmarkr on Mon, 03 Oct 2016, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
MarkR

Autumn
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

There are at least 7 EV's maybe more. It is also for the opening of the new restaurant
dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

markrmarkr wrote: Greg,
what sort of turn out are you expecting at Dural tomorrow? Is it just you and me?

Also could you bring your Tesla to J1772 adapter please, I'd really like to look at it, and pick your brain If I get a chance.

Mark

Mark - I'll bring my Mennekes to J1772 adaptor as well so you can have a look at that one too.
markrmarkr
Groupie

Post by markrmarkr »

Thanks David. I have a lot of questions too.
MarkR

Autumn
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

any news on new Chargepoints in Mcdonalds stores?   Sadly there is a distinct lack of chargepoints on the southern side of Sydney.
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

Kellyville North McD onalds is also installing them. The trick is to approach franchise owners and ask them to install a ChargePoint as McDonalds corporate are taking a wait and see approach ATM. If you find a franchisee who is interested I would be happy to talk to them
Greg
Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights »

there are a few locations that would be suitable,   Engadine, very busy store, and the last one to the south of Sydney, also, stores at Marulan on the Hume Hwy, and Sutton forest.

as for payment, wouldnt paying per KWH be possible?   as compared to per charge, eg, a Tesla owner with a 70Kw pack would obviously use far more to charge than a PHEV Owner with a 12Kwh pack.    paying $10 for a 12 or less Kw charge doesnt make sense, but the same for a Tesla owner would,    paying something like $0.30 per KW/H would make sense for all users.    at $0.30 per Kwh for a PHEV owner would still be cheaper than using petrol to recharge, but still more expensive than using a home charger and paying the usual retail rates.

Just my thoughts.

Now to approach some Franchise owners..
LauraiMiEV
Groupie

Post by LauraiMiEV »

I don't know how easy payment by kwh would be but that is obviously the fairest. If not, I think $10 is pretty steep considering how little energy you'll actually get if you sit there and read the paper and eat a burger for an hour or 2. Maybe $5 seems more reasonable. Or a big discount if you spend $10 or more in the store - something like that. I assume that's part of the reason McD would install these, it gets people in their restaurants who will hang around trying all the desert options on the menu!
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

Lauraimiev the $10 suggested charge was only for a Rapid DC charge ie 30 min not a J1772 slow charge.
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

Ultralights, charging for electricity by Kwhr is only permitted by energy retailers-no one else, hence charging by time or the alternative business model of charging the customers a monthly fee to access a network, as is the case OS.
Paul9
Groupie

Post by Paul9 »

I doubt I am alone in saying that the more charging points the better! I also second ultralights comment about there being very few charge points south of Sydney.

We discussed, in a separate thread, the ways to improve charging stations and agreed that their usefulness is largely dependent on:

a) Where in the carpark they are situated, and

b) How distinctly they are signposted as EV charge points and not available for ICE parking.

If someone finds a MacDonalds franchisee willing to install a charge point, could they attempt to get the franchisee to position the charge point well away from the front door and have it distinctly marked as not available for ICE parking?

Not much point in having charge points if we can only access them around midnight!