Electric Maserati

For West Australian Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
Volta
Noobie

Electric Maserati

Post by Volta »

Hi all, recovered from Chrissy? Some of you may remember Elektra, well he'll be a permanent resident at the Motor Museum (Whiteman Park) soon. I'm thinking of buying a second hand volt, unless anyone has heard anything dreadful about them! The electric range will do me for down here. That said, my other EV, a failed conversion of a Maserati 425 Sedan (an ex bi-turbo), needs a home. An Italian thoroughbred clean and straight, good paint (silvery grey) and upholstery (bluey grey leather) but needs carpet. It comes complete with 45 x 180 Ahr cells, the blue ones. A Solitron controller (the big one) Three 1.5kW chargers. These allow me to charge more rapidly while using only solar energy, they may not suit you. Original Italian mags, new tyres, etc. When I say failed conversion I mean that the two 8inch motors do not generate sufficient torque. I'm running out of ideas and money so if there is some interest, let's talk.
Volta
antiscab

Re: Electric Maserati

Post by antiscab »

Hi Dave,

Long time no see, great to hear you're still doing EV things

The Volt is a great vehicle

re the 2 x 8" motors not generating enough torque, did you have a go at starting them off all in series?
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
Volta
Noobie

Post by Volta »

No Matt. Their motor shafts are connected physically together via a coupling, so mechanically they are. Electrically they are in parallel giving full batt. volts to both motors. I think it needs a Tesla rear end stuck in it. That would do it justice!
Volta
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Dave I tried paralleled DC motors on my first electric motorbike and it was a PITA. One motor would always end up doing the work. It's far better if you put them in series and let them share current equally, even if that means more volts on the battery pack.
AEVA National President, returning WA branch chair.
Volta
Noobie

Post by Volta »

Thanks Chris. Does motor type make a difference? I'm using DC series traction motors. Were you using AC types?
Volta
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Volta wrote: Wed, 03 Feb 2021, 09:18 Does motor type make a difference?
You can't practically put AC motors in series. Though I seem to recall a Honda Civic conversion by Tritium James that did it with 6 contactors (allowing two speeds, an "electric transmission"), so I suppose it can be done. But he had a very non-standard motor, with a lot of very thick cables coming from it. I can't recall if it was deemed a success or not.

Edit: Honda Civic Conversion. Sadly the photos are long gone. Archive.org seems to have one snapshot of the images, but I can't seem to get it to work.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Volta
Noobie

Post by Volta »

I finally got around to making the series connection. Guess what? Thanks for your input Matt, Coulomb and Chris. I have no excuses left, I must press on and finish this damn project.
Cheers dave (Volta)
Volta
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Good one Dave! Lets see it at the next branch meeting!
AEVA National President, returning WA branch chair.