WA Electric Highways!

For West Australian Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
reecho

WA Electric Highways!

Post by reecho »

Looks like the RAC will have some explaining to do then....

I'm all for user charges. But the other side of the coin is that the end user will expect VERY HIGH UPTIME....at least I would...
acmotor

WA Electric Highways!

Post by acmotor »

Just stirring here....

I'm thinking that by the time this charging infrastructure is up and running, I will have moved on to an EV that has more range than the length of the charging highway anyway... Image
Does that mean that, like hybrids, public EV charging is just a blip in history ?
3 years ago I really wanted a charging highway. Now I just want a Tesla.... and if I've forked out all that money for the pleasure of pioneering, I sure as heck don't want to be paying again for charging.

converted RedSuzi, the first industrial AC induction motor conversion
on to iMiEV MY12 did 114,463km
now Tesla Model 3, 4/2021 MIC pearl white
offgridQLD

WA Electric Highways!

Post by offgridQLD »

AC motor,
        I know you were messing around but are you sure you want a Tesla. If paying a few dollars for a fast charge is a issue then owning a Tesla for the long haul will have you in a world of budget pain. Hidiusly expensive repair / parts costs. That will in tern result in silly insurance costs. I see owning one as a massive liability though that's just me.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 10 Mar 2015, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
jonescg

WA Electric Highways!

Post by jonescg »

Much of EV design, and associated infrastructure for that matter, is about addressing perceived problems. The Tesla has a 470 km range because people think they need to drive 470 km per charge, even though 200-250 km would have sufficed.

The Volt is about $20,000 more expensive than it needs to be, simply because of the perception of range. It would make an otherwise very nice EV.

I think having a small but reliable charging network will be very well received, as it can still account for those who thoughtlessly leave home with a half charged Tesla. It also means those of us who rarely drive can own a low range (i.e. affordable) electric car for around town, but still have the functionality of being able to go further, albeit as a punctuated trip. I agree though; there won't need to be be as many charging stations as there currently are petrol stations simply because you can charge at home.

In any case, it is a bit of a disappointment that it's gone from free to user pays, but this was always the expected outcome. Not going to help EV uptake any more though.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
reecho

WA Electric Highways!

Post by reecho »

The Motor Report article...

TMR
jonescg

WA Electric Highways!

Post by jonescg »

If Western Power can get their sh*t together it can all happen as soon as June...
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
reecho

WA Electric Highways!

Post by reecho »

Story from RAC Horizons magazine...

Horizons_Horizons_June_July_15.pdf