AEVA Forum ready to move?

Admin Requests, General Enquiries and Forum Issues
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 08:06

Hi all,

Executive Summary
Check out the new copy of this forum, converted to phpBB now. If you want to look, go to http://test-forums.aeva.asn.au/ucp.php? ... ndpassword to reset your password, then log in and look around. Any problems or feedback, please read the rest of this post first, then pm me.

The Long version
Over 2 years ago we made an aborted attempt to migrate this forum to a new platform: phpBB. Several months ago, I restarted my conversion efforts and with huge help from coulomb, weber, willing co-operation from Andrew and some proofreading from jonescg and evric, we finally have a conversion that seems complete.

The Test forum is currently only fully visible if you log in. To log in, you first have to reset your password by entering your login name and your login email address here. Don't worry, this won't change your login/password on the live forum (ie this one), only the "test" forum. Once you've clicked the submit button on the above "Send Password" page, you should get an email with a new password and a link to click on to make that password active. If you don't get one of these emails within 30 minutes:check your Spam folder;Check that you used the correct username (see the top left of this forum);check that you used the correct email address (the one you registered with). If you're not sure about the email address, go to the Profile page of your Member Control Panel and check it.
If you have the time and the interest, please take a wander through the new forum and see if you can find anything that doesn't look right. A really helpful thing to do is to check out your own posts, either from the handy "Quick Links" from the top left-hand corner of the new forum, or directly from this link (after you've logged in). If you do find something wrong:Missing post? Was it posted after 14 July (when the last snapshot was taken from the live forum)? It won't be in this version of the test forum;Still wrong? Make a note of which post has a problem and let me know (see below). The best thing is to make a copy of the web address of the post in question and put it in an email or private message on this forum.Tell us what you've found, either by posting in the Admin Notices forum, or by sending me a Private Message.You've had a look and everything looks fine? Please let us know!When will we move over to the new forum? That depends on how many of you do some proofreading and how quickly. If I get a few people reporting back over the next couple of days, we could be into the new forum later this week!

Cheers,
Last edited by rhills on Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Sticky Announcement status, no longer required
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Jul 2014 - Nov 2017
Total Petrol: 521.1L
ODO: 37347
Av Consumption: 1.40 L/100km

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 17:30

Thanks Rob!
Looks great from my end.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

Scotty T
Noobie

Post by Scotty T » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 19:59

Looks great, I did the password thing, and reset mine from my profile, had a quick look at my posts and it all worked well. Excellent job.

woody

Post by woody » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 21:15

Looks good, all images there: e.g.
http://test-forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopi ... a&start=25

Internal links work: (e.g. Weber + Coulomb's Contents Post)
http://test-forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopi ... &hilit=MX5

Editing old posts works + linking to specific posts:
http://test-forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopi ... 848#p29848

Awesome Job!

Minor Gripes:
* Private message sent folder empty
* Private message inbox limited to 50 (not sure if it's a soft or hard limit, I have 224 messages!)
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 00:33

Hi Woody,

Many thanks for the feedback.
woody wrote:Minor Gripes:
This is why you get other people to check your work, I'd not noticed that before! I'll investigate further tonight.
woody wrote:* Private message inbox limited to 50 (not sure if it's a soft or hard limit, I have 224 messages!)
It's a "soft" limit, which I've increased to 500 for now, until we can work out what limit (if any) is actually needed.

Cheers,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
Jul 2014 - Nov 2017

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 21:32

Hi All,
woody wrote:...Minor Gripes:
OK, the Private Messages stuff is now all fixed as far as I can tell from my own mailbox.
Please look through your own and see if it all matches what you have in the Live forum.
Cheers,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
Jul 2014 - Nov 2017

woody

Post by woody » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 21:39

rhills wrote: Hi All,
woody wrote:...Minor Gripes:
OK, the Private Messages stuff is now all fixed as far as I can tell from my own mailbox.
Please look through your own and see if it all matches what you have in the Live forum.
Cheers,
Yes, all looks great :-) Have replied to your PMs

woody

Post by woody » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 21:41

"Scraping the barrel" Gripe: Just noticed that his links in my Sig did not come accross. I can live with that!

4Springs

Post by 4Springs » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 22:38

Don't know if this is significant, but I found a link that didn't copy across. It is a link in a post to another post. Live post is here. There is a link in that post to another post. In the Test system the "here" is just normal text, it doesn't appear as a link.

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 23:28

woody wrote: "Scraping the barrel" Gripe: Just noticed that his links in my Sig did not come accross. I can live with that!
Don't have to suffer anymore. I've tweaked the code to convert links and images in signature blocks, I'd not realised it was missing those.
Unfortunately, unlike the PM changes, I can't easily update the sigs in the existing test forum without reloading the whole thing, which would take a few hours to do.
Cheers,

Edited to specify "Test" forum
Last edited by rhills on Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
Jul 2014 - Nov 2017

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Wed, 19 Jul 2017, 00:20

4Springs wrote: Don't know if this is significant, but I found a link that didn't copy across. It is a link in a post to another post. Live post is here. There is a link in that post to another post. In the Test system the "here" is just normal text, it doesn't appear as a link.
Nice catch, definitely should have been converted. There have been several examples of this problem pointed out now (by weber and coulomb in particular) but I've not had a chance to debug yet. I'll keep you posted.
Cheers,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
Jul 2014 - Nov 2017

reecho

Post by reecho » Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 03:14

Hot diggity dog i likey..!!

Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce » Sun, 23 Jul 2017, 23:52

All worked fine for me. Well done.)
Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drives:
2011 Leaf
2001 Berlingo conversion
Past drive:
2011 Blade Getz
Past Conversions:
DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Mon, 24 Jul 2017, 03:10

Weber wrote: I remind you to make sure your email address is up-to-date in the existing WebWiz forum because the only way you will get access to your account in the final phpBB Forum is that you will be emailed a new password (which you can then change back to your old password if you want).
That was over 2.5 years ago, but it's true again, because the conversion is nearly ready to happen. So if your email address has changed lately, go to your Member Control Panel, select the Edit Profile option, and update the Email and Confirm Email entries you will find there. You can touch up any other details if you want while you are there. Just follow the instructions that will be emailed to you.

Remember, if you don't have a valid email registered with the present Web Wiz forums, then after conversion to phpBB, you won't be "known" by the system, and you'll have to be entered manually, which could cause a delay.

With the new forum, some things will be a bit different, but it's more configurable, and many things will be easier. For example, just typing a URL like http://www.google.com.au will make the link clickable, no fussing with codes. That works for your posts, but also everyone else's posts, so you'll never have to select a URL and paste it into your browser again. Magic! In fact, they actually call this process "magic links" or similar.

Our hardworking webmaster Rob has been "so close" a dozen times lately; it's amazing what little problems come up. For example, no posts since a certain date were coming up; some extended characters like μ, Ω, or ° weren't working or weren't consistent, some internal links would not work, there are hassles with preformatted text, some images not working, BBcodes (like [ colour=red ] would not work until the post was edited, or would disappear when a post was edited, and many more. There are many differences between the database format of phpBB version 3.1x and version 3.2x.

So despite the apparent lack of progress, a lot is actually happening. Thanks, Rob!

[ Edit: data format -> database format ]
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 23 Jul 2017, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
Learning how to patch and repair PIP-4048 inverter-chargers and Elcon chargers.

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Mon, 24 Jul 2017, 04:24

I'm excited! Any idea when the move will happen Rob / Mike?
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Mon, 24 Jul 2017, 06:19

jonescg wrote: I'm excited! Any idea when the move will happen Rob / Mike?

I'd say the next few days. So many last minute glitches.
Learning how to patch and repair PIP-4048 inverter-chargers and Elcon chargers.

mikedufty
Groupie

Post by mikedufty » Mon, 24 Jul 2017, 17:24

The member control panel (current web site) says I can update my email address, but when I try to nothing happens. Maybe the email is just very slow.

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Mon, 24 Jul 2017, 17:38

Hi Mike,
mikedufty wrote: The member control panel (current web site) says I can update my email address, but when I try to nothing happens. Maybe the email is just very slow.
You should receive an email to the new email address containing a link to confirm the change. If you've not received that, check your spam bin. If you still have no luck, PM me the email address you want to change to and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,
Last edited by rhills on Mon, 24 Jul 2017, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
Jul 2014 - Nov 2017