Forum integration with the main site

Admin Requests, General Enquiries and Forum Issues
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I presume Gabz was referring to equal say in the running of the AEVA, not this particular forum.

Anyway,

Weber, I noticed a few images which have been uploaded directly to the WebWiz forum aren't working, but any Photobucket based image links seem to work OK. Otherwise it's a good platform. I don't mind going through and updating relevant images if need be; I don't have a huge backlog of posts though.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Now that I know about this area, it's easy to tell who can see those forums and who can't. Only those who have "AEVA Member" or "Admin" above their avatar can see them in the WebWiz forum. "Senior Member" doesn't cut it. Image These designations bear little resemblance to reality, which is one of the reasons we want the forum to be on the same server as the membership database.
EV2Go wrote:I can appreciate your view on this matter, but I would offer a counter view. I am a member of several audio related forums where there is no secret squirrel hiding places, and everything is discussed out in the open, nor is there a cost to be a member. These sites are run purely on donations, and the love of the hobby / obsession.
That's fine. But it just so happens that the AEVA isn't quite that kind of organisation. It has a formal constitution which you can read here http://www.aeva.asn.au/wiki/constitution
To me I see EV related discussion in that members area that could have be shared with others, so while this non member was trying to keep the website alive for others, it would seem some paid members have not given it the same consideration.
You are quite right. That was unwise on the part of those members, and had I known of its existence I would have encouraged them to move their discussion outside the AEVA Members Only area. And I encourage all members to steer all non-business discussions out to the wider forum in future.
I don't want to be a member because to be honest the BS and politics that goes on inside and outside of the meetings is not what I am interested in. I am interested in sharing ideas with like minded EV enthusiasts like myself, the same as I do with my other hobbies.

That's perfectly fine. You say you've read this complete thread. If so, you will have seen, over and over again, a commitment on the part of members to continue to allow non-members to read and post, just as they always have, despite conspiracy theories to the contrary.

I hope you have fully grokked the fact that the AEVA Members Area is not some new elitist thing that we are creating just now. It is simply being converted over from the existing forum like everything else, and it will continue to exist whether non-members like it or not. Image

So I'd really like for us to get back to conversion-bug reports.

An awesome job Coulomb! Thanks. But the rest of you can't let Coulomb have all the fun. C'mon, there must be more.

Is it just me, or does the number of blank lines in posts in the phpBB forum seem to be growing?
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

So that's:

12. The top group of forums, called the "AEVA MEMBERS AREA", should not be visible to anyone who isn't logged in. And in addition, they should only be visible to users who are in the Group called "AEVA Member".
index.php
http://forums.aeva.net.au/
jonescg wrote:Weber, I noticed a few images which have been uploaded directly to the WebWiz forum aren't working, but any Photobucket based image links seem to work OK. Otherwise it's a good platform. I don't mind going through and updating relevant images if need be; I don't have a huge backlog of posts though.

C'mon Chris. Get with the program. Image Give your bug report the next number and an old/new pair of URLs to a post that shows the problem, formatted like the report above.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

jonescg wrote:...Weber, I noticed a few images which have been uploaded directly to the WebWiz forum aren't working, but any Photobucket based image links seem to work OK. Otherwise it's a good platform. I don't mind going through and updating relevant images if need be; I don't have a huge backlog of posts though.
Chris, I recommend against doing any edits to your posts at this stage. The images issue is a conversion problem, so you shouldn't have to fix it.

I'd also note that I have come across a number of things that are broken (mostly links) in the current forum (ie not the "new" one we're discussing here) that I believe can be fixed retrospectively after the conversion to the new forum has finished.

If anyone is aware of such long-standing problems in the current (ie not the new) forum, feel free to PM me and I'll make a list to fix after the conversion is completed.

Cheers,
Last edited by rhills on Tue, 11 Nov 2014, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

13. Extra newline in text just below
Motor Controller and Cooling
viewtopic.php?title=weber-and-coulombs-mx5&t=980
http://forums.aeva.net.au/viewtopic.php ... 798e2fd287

Looks like
The Control Techniques controller arrives
vs
The C
ontrol Techniques controller arrives

Source code (spaces added around square brackets):
[ URL=/forum_posts.asp?TID=980&PID=13625#13625" rel="nofollow ]The Control Techniques controller arrives[ /URL ]
(No newline in source code)

Edit: probable duplicate of report 4.
Last edited by coulomb on Tue, 11 Nov 2014, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
karlg
Groupie

Post by karlg »

Currently, forums.aeva.net.au is a test.

Fixing the bugs may cause changes to the test forum.

N.B. This is completely independent from these forums that you are viewing right now.
Last edited by karlg on Tue, 11 Nov 2014, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

14. Some outgoing links to youtube not working. May be due to lower case in source code.
viewtopic.php?title=weber-and-coulombs- ... 539#p30539
http://forums.aeva.net.au/viewtopic.php ... 287#p28859

Completely untranslated: [ tube ]BtwdbS9uRFg[ /tube ]

Edit: yet it seems to work in this post pair:
viewtopic.php?title=weber-and-coulombs- ... 496#p33496
http://forums.aeva.net.au/viewtopic.php ... 853#p31739

Edit2: But maybe Weber did something funky with an embedded HTML5 link; see the edit note at the end of the post. Weber, can you check the source code and confirm?

Edit3: Weber claims several posts down that many other such links work, so the difference may be that the keyword inside the square brackets is in lower case (case is supposed to be ignored).
Last edited by coulomb on Wed, 12 Nov 2014, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

15. Vertical spacing not preserved (double spacing translates to quadruple spacing?)
Same post as above:
viewtopic.php?title=weber-and-coulombs- ... 539#p30539
http://forums.aeva.net.au/viewtopic.php ... 287#p28859

Edit: possible duplicate of report 11.
Last edited by coulomb on Tue, 11 Nov 2014, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
karlg
Groupie

Post by karlg »

EV2Go, Weber has it about right.

The problem is that AEVA and the forums are somewhat schizophrenic. On the one hand, AEVA has been around for more than 40 years, and for as long as I have known of it, it has had membership fees. (I don't have much knowledge about this, so maybe somebody else could fill in on this?) On the other, the forums have been around for about 6 and have never had fees.

There is absolutely no elitism from me or anybody I know. Please put that aside.

We should move this to a separate thread, but do you have ideas on what would motivate you and others who are interested enough in EVs to be on the forum but are not members of AEVA want to join up?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

16. Horizontal spacing not preserved:
viewtopic.php?title=weber-and-coulombs- ... 773#p30773
http://forums.aeva.net.au/viewtopic.php ... 287#p29093

Example:

if (events & EVENT_CHARGER) {
        events &= ~EVENT_CHARGER;

comes out as

Source code:

[ FONT=Courier ]
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Very minor issue:
17. Side by side photo placement not preserved. Likely due to size limit not enforced (scaling not performed).
viewtopic.php?title=weber-and-coulombs- ... 834#p31834
http://forums.aeva.net.au/viewtopic.php ... 447#p30113

Last two photos are side by side in the original; not in the translated. Near the top of the page, with the Japanese car maker, the side by side placement *is* preserved.

Edit: this is probably because the original software forces a certain maximum displayed image size. For example: the first photo is scaled in the original Web Wiz post to 750px × 551px (original and translated size is 1,023px × 752px). It's unclear whether we'd want to enforce this display size limit - the image doesn't download any quicker to display smaller. But it may help when displayed on mobile devices.
Last edited by coulomb on Tue, 11 Nov 2014, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
karlg
Groupie

Post by karlg »

Re: #17, if you make your browser window wider, it does come up side-by-side.
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

karlg wrote: We should move this to a separate thread, but do you have ideas on what would motivate you and others who are interested enough in EVs to be on the forum but are not members of AEVA want to join up?
I can't speak for other, but I am happy to try and explain my reasons by PM, so as to not further derail testing.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

weber wrote: PhpBB was chosen as its structure is highly compatible with that of WebWiz, and it is the most popular free forum software on the planet. Many of you will be familiar with it from other EV forums.
One such forum using PhpBB is Endless Sphere Technology EV forums. If you have an account (I found I had), you can refresh your memory of how it works by logging in and replying to a post (don't save it unless it's worthwhile, of course).
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

any post that has been edited that has the linr in it along the lines of
Edited by <USER NAME HERE> - <DATE AND TIME HERE>
Edited by Adverse Effects - 14 October 2014 at 6:19pm
example 1

original post

converted post

example 2

original post

converted post
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

dont know what is happening here but you can look at it

original post

converted post

PS:- hate the look of PHPBB lol
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Tue, 11 Nov 2014, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

coulomb wrote:But maybe Weber did something funky with an embedded HTML5 link; see the edit note at the end of the post. Weber, can you check the source code and confirm?

The edit note is telling you that I got rid of the HTML5. The source is a perfectly ordinary [ tube]...[/tube] BBCode. Exactly what you can see untranslated in the phpBB version.

There are plenty of [ TUBE]..[/tube] BBCodes that are being translated correctly in the phpBB forum. The only difference I can see is that the one that is untranslated has its keywords in lowercase.

They are not supposed to be case sensitive, but apparently some part of the conversion process has treated them differently.

So perhaps reword #14's description, making note of this case difference.
Last edited by weber on Tue, 11 Nov 2014, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Adverse Effects wrote:...
PS:- hate the look of PHPBB lol

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but phpBB is higly configurable and there are many "skins" available for it. I believe that functionality is king but once we've got a successful conversion done, maybe we can start a thread on forum "look and feel", have a vote and then implement the most popular?
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Coulomb, #17 is not something we should be concerned about since it doesn't represent any loss of information, and it's certainly not something we should expect gConverter to do anything about, since as KarlG says, you can make it change in either forum by changing your window width.

Adverse, #18 is the same as #5 here, although you have described it better than I did.

Yeah, that whole monochrome thang that phpBB has going on, makes me feel ... blue. I'm sure we can liven it up a bit once we've dealt with the actual information transfer. We can always add the AEVA logo to the header. That'll give it a nice splash of ... blue.

How about something like this, giving a nod to the colours of Andrew's WebWiz forum that has served us so well for so long. This size is intended as the browser tab icon (favicon).

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Adverse Effects wrote: dont know what is happening here but you can look at it

original post

converted post

At first I thought it was not handling nested quotes, but there's a perfectly good nested quote further up the same page. It's looking like the [ quote] is not being translated because it is lower case. Similar to the lower case [ tube].
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Hi Guys,
weber wrote:
Adverse Effects wrote: dont know what is happening here but you can look at it

original post

converted post

At first I thought it was not handling nested quotes, but there's a perfectly good nested quote further up the same page. It's looking like the [ quote] is not being translated because it is lower case. Similar to the lower case [ tube].

I just looked at the actual text for that post in the test Database and found that the opening bbcode is in lower case ([ quote ]) while the closing bbcode is upper case ([ /QUOTE ]). phpBB's way of rendering that combination looks like a bug to me, but gConverter should be converting those BBCodes consistently.

The "perfectly good" quote weber mentioned was actually implemented using the html < blockquote > tag.
Last edited by rhills on Tue, 11 Nov 2014, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

weber wrote:
How about something like this, giving a nod to the colours of Andrew's WebWiz forum that has served us so well for so long. This size is intended as the browser tab icon (favicon).

Love it!
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

I think we forgot to announce that Rob Hills is our new webmaster!

Rob kindly volunteered to take over from Karl, and was elected at the AGM a couple of weeks back, although Karl is kindly still helping us with this conversion.

Thanks Karl.

Thanks Rob.
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

This is a test. I want to look at the HTML generated from various BBcodes.

BBcodes
You can use the following Forum Codes to Format your text

Typed Forum Code      Converted Code
Text Formatting
Bold      Bold
Italic      Italic
Underline      Underline
Centre
     Centre
Images and Links
My Link      My Link
http://www.example.com      http://www.example.com
[url=mailto:me@example.com]My Email[/url]      My Email
Font
Arial      Arial
Courier      Courier
Times      Times
Verdana      Verdana
Size
Font Size 1      Font Size 1
Font Size 2      Font Size 2
Font Size 3      Font Size 3
Font Size 4      Font Size 4
Font Size 5      Font Size 5
Font Size 6      Font Size 6
Font Colours
Black Font      Black Font
White Font      White Font
Blue Font      Blue Font
Red Font      Red Font
Green Font      Green Font
Yellow Font      Yellow Font
Orange Font      Orange Font
Brown Font      Brown Font
Magenta Font      Magenta Font
Cyan Font      Cyan Font
Lime Green Font      Lime Green Font
Quoting
Username wrote:Quoted Message With Username
Quoted Message
Code and Fixed Width Data
My Code or Fixed Width Data
Hide Content
[hide]Hidden Post Content, revealed when Member Posts Reply[/hide]
Adobe Flash

YouTube
[tube]File Name[/tube]
Emoticons
Image     Smile     Image     Image     Tongue     Image
Image     Wink     Image     Image     Cry     Image
Image     Big smile     Image     Image     LOL     Image
Image     Dead     Image     Image     Embarrassed     Image
Image     Confused     Image     Image     Clap     Image
Image     Angry     Image     Image     Ouch     Image
Image     Star     Image     Image     Shocked     Image
Image     Sleepy     Image     Image     Unhappy     Image
Image     Approve     Image     Image     Cool     Image
Image     Clown     Image     Image     Evil Smile     Image
Image     Disapprove     Image     Image     Stern Smile     Image
Image     Thumbs Up     Image     Image     Thumbs Down     Image
Image     Geek     Image     Image     Ermm     Image
Image     Question     Image     Image     Pinch     Image
Image     Heart     Image     Image     Broken Heart     Image
Image     Wacko     Image     Image     Pig     Image
Image     Hug     Image     Image     Censored     Image
Image     Ying Yang     Image     Image     Nuke     Image
Image     Exclamation     Image     Image     Lamp     Image
Image     Sick     Image     [<:o)]     Party     [<:o)]
Image     Beer     Image     Image     Handshake     Image

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

This is the BBCode source that produced the above post (with spaces added after the square brackets to deactivate them).

BBcodes
You can use the following Forum Codes to Format your text

Typed Forum Code      Converted Code
Text Formatting
[ B]Bold[/b]      Bold
[ I]Italic[/i]      Italic
[ U]Underline[/u]      Underline
[ CENTER]Centre[/center]      Centre
Images and Links
[ IMG]http://example.com/smiley.gif[/IMG]      
[ URL=http://www.example.com]My Link[/URL]      My Link
[ URL]http://www.example.com[/URL]      http://www.example.com
[ EMAIL=me@example.com]My Email[/EMAIL]      My Email
Font
[ FONT=Arial]Arial      Arial
[ FONT=Courier]Courier      Courier
[ FONT=Times]Times      Times
[ FONT=Verdana]Verdana      Verdana
Size
[ SIZE=1]Font Size 1      Font Size 1
[ SIZE=2]Font Size 2      Font Size 2
[ SIZE=3]Font Size 3      Font Size 3
[ SIZE=4]Font Size 4      Font Size 4
[ SIZE=5]Font Size 5      Font Size 5
[ SIZE=6]Font Size 6      Font Size 6
Font Colours
[ COLOR=BLACK]Black Font[/COLOR]      Black Font
[ COLOR=WHITE]White Font[/COLOR]      White Font
[ COLOR=BLUE]Blue Font[/COLOR]      Blue Font
[ COLOR=RED]Red Font[/COLOR]      Red Font
[ COLOR=GREEN]Green Font[/COLOR]      Green Font
[ COLOR=YELLOW]Yellow Font[/COLOR]      Yellow Font
[ COLOR=ORANGE]Orange Font[/COLOR]      Orange Font
[ COLOR=BROWN]Brown Font[/COLOR]      Brown Font
[ COLOR=MAGENTA]Magenta Font[/COLOR]      Magenta Font
[ COLOR=CYAN]Cyan Font[/COLOR]      Cyan Font
[ COLOR=LIME GREEN]Lime Green Font[/COLOR]      Lime Green Font
Quoting
[ Quote=Username]Quoted Message With Username[/QUOTE]
[ Quote]Quoted Message[/QUOTE]
Code and Fixed Width Data
[ CODE]My Code or Fixed Width Data[ /CODE]
Hide Content
[ HIDE]Hidden Post Content, revealed when Member Posts Reply[/hide]
Adobe Flash
[ FLASH WIDTH=50 HEIGHT=50]http://www.example.com/flash.swf[/flash]
YouTube
[ TUBE]File Name[/tube]
Emoticons
[ :)]     Smile     [ :)]     [ :P]     Tongue     [ :P]
[ ;)]     Wink     [ ;)]     [ :^(]     Cry     [ :^(]
[ :D]     Big smile     [ :D]     [ LOL]     LOL     [ LOL]
[ xx(]     Dead     [ xx(]     [ :$]     Embarrassed     [ :$]
[ :s]     Confused     [ :s]     [ =D>]     Clap     [ =D>]
[ :x]     Angry     [ :x]     [ 8(]     Ouch     [ 8(]
[ :*:]     Star     [ :*:]     [ :o]     Shocked     [ :o]
[ |)]     Sleepy     [ |)]     [ :(]     Unhappy     [ :(]
[ :^:]     Approve     [ :^:]     [ 8D]     Cool     [ 8D]
[ :o)]     Clown     [ :o)]     [ }:)]     Evil Smile     [ }:)]
[ :V:]     Disapprove     [ :V:]     [ :|]     Stern Smile     [ :|]
[ :Y:]     Thumbs Up     [ :Y:]     [ :N:]     Thumbs Down     [ :N:]
[ :-B]     Geek     [ :-B]     [ :[]     Ermm     [ :[]
[ :?:]     Question     [ :?:]     [ ><]     Pinch     [ ><]
[ L]     Heart     [ L]     [ %(]     Broken Heart     [ %(]
[ 8-}]     Wacko     [ 8-}]     [ :@)]     Pig     [ :@)]
[ >:D<]     Hug     [ >:D<]     [ XXX]     Censored     [ XXX]
[ %]     Ying Yang     [ %]     [ !]     Nuke     [ !]
[ !]     Exclamation     [ !]     [ *]     Lamp     [ *]
[ +o(]     Sick     [ +o(]     [ <:o)]     Party     [ <:o)]
[ beer]     Beer     [ beer]     [ shake]     Handshake     [ shake]

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.
Last edited by weber on Thu, 13 Nov 2014, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.