Forum search fixed

Admin Requests, General Enquiries and Forum Issues
weber
Site Admin

Forum search fixed

Post by weber » Wed, 07 Aug 2019, 11:27

If you've given up on using the AEVA forum's search facility, because you've been told waaay too many times:

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words:
or
Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards

then you might want to give it another chance.

It annoyed me once too often this morning, so I finally showed it who's boss. :twisted:

It now allows words with between 2 and 20 characters, and it doesn't give a damn how common a word is. You can now search on the word "the" if you want, and you'll be told in a fraction of a second that there are 57 835 matches, and you'll be shown the most recent 25 posts with "the" in them, with another 2 314 pages just waiting for your enjoyment of the word "the".

I'm sorry that it still doesn't do phrase searches. If you put quotes, it still ignores them. I'm looking into it.

For the technically-minded: Here's a thread about the problem and its solution. The index file only took about 20 minutes to rebuild, and only grew from 3 103 063 references to 5 091 781 references.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).