Daihatsu Charade adaptor plate and coupling

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Mon, 27 Oct 2008, 21:09

I hear there were several Daihatsu Charades at the AEVA AGM/field day. I have just got my engine out of my '91 G102 Charade and now I'm thinking about adaptor plates and couplings. I was planning to be clutchless. It occurs to me that someone may have already made all the crucial measurements for an adaptor plate and coupler which would save me doing it. Consequently, I might be able to order them from who ever made these parts previously without needing to ship the gearbox and motor, only the clutch plate with the splined bit. Am I in luck?

On a related matter I am planning to use an Impulse 9 motor. This is similar in specs to an ADC 8" but is shorter but fatter, in fact 9.25" diameter. I don't have the motor yet but have started to worry that I might be very close to having the boot or that other cylindrical lump on the drive shaft hit the motor if the suspension is compressed by a bump. I found one example of an ADC9" motor in a charade on the EValbum but the email bounced. The ADC9 has nearly the same diameter as the Impulse 9 so I think it should work but I would be keen to get an opinion from anyone who has a motor in this car and can tell me their engine diameter and the clearance they have.

Thanks,
Peter Campbell
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-present, on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity. Kona on order.

woody

Post by woody » Mon, 27 Oct 2008, 21:35

"I, Claudius" on this forum owns one of those Red Charades, another Red one is George Symons.

I think "gttool" on this forum made those bits for e.g. Kearon's Capri and Mal's Electrolux. I think Kearon just sent him the gearbox gasket, which has holes in all the right places...

cheers,
Woody
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

evkartalex
Noobie

Post by evkartalex » Tue, 28 Oct 2008, 17:29

i have a lot of experience with daihatsus

i dont see the driveshafts moving that much to "hit" the motor. if it were possible you would be probably having a large problem to move the car in the first place :~) and the ICE is really in the way lol (clunk, clunk, clunk)
alex

JR FORKLIFTS - All your Electric forklift needs!

gttool
Groupie

Post by gttool » Tue, 28 Oct 2008, 23:11

Peter,

Made an adapter plate about two weeks ago for one, maybe i should start making multiples of them
just give me a ring and we can formalise some details motor type etc I could most probably have one done for you by the weekend!
would need to send me the old clutch disk to make the coupling.
I have taper lock hubs for the coupling and plate for the adapter 12mm alum

Geoff

evkartalex
Noobie

Post by evkartalex » Tue, 28 Oct 2008, 23:54

geoff what a champ.

hey if you said G102 it would be a 4cyl 1300 hatch back right?

are you guys using old CB (3cyl) or HC (4cyl) ???

would suck if you got your engine types confused and ended up with the wrong housing!~
Last edited by evkartalex on Tue, 28 Oct 2008, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
JR FORKLIFTS - All your Electric forklift needs!

gttool
Groupie

Post by gttool » Wed, 29 Oct 2008, 02:18

One of the first Questions asked...
the last one was a three cylinder and johns is a 4 cylinder !!

Geoff

Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Wed, 29 Oct 2008, 02:33

Thanks everyone. I have now had a good chat with Geoff and it looks like we can work things out from here!
Peter.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-present, on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity. Kona on order.