Direct Drive Help

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
sauron_3746
Noobie
MSN: andrewbaker3746@hotmail.com

Direct Drive Help

Post by sauron_3746 »

Hi All,

After some coupling issues I have decided to change my EV to direct drive and need some guidance. I have a Warp 9 in a Suzuki Vitara. Vehicle only weighs 1 tonne. It is not the yoke and spline version of the motor so I will need to somehow get a keyway uni joint or yoke and spline setup. I have seen that you can buy drive shafts with a yoke and spline built in. Would this be an option.

Also, is there anyone in Victoria, or Melbourne who would have the knowledge and skills to set me up?

Any assistance appreciated.

Regards

Andrew
Richo

Re: Direct Drive Help

Post by Richo »

here is the previous thread you had...
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4442&p=55411&hilit ... iff#p55411

I do vaguely remember seeing a motor directly coupled to the diff - no tailshaft.
It was bright yellow.
Anybody know where this thread is?
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
Richo

Post by Richo »

Oh here is what you're talking about
http://www.evalbum.com/3016

Richo

Post by Richo »

An alternative is to fit a center bearing like the bmw.
woody

Post by woody »

@Johnny got a sliding spline made for his Vogue at Precision Balancing in Melbourne http://electricvogue.blogspot.com/searc ... -date=true
I think his motor was imbalanced and so was the tailshaft.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
Johny

Post by Johny »

woody wrote: Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 07:52 @Johnny got a sliding spline made for his Vogue at Precision Balancing in Melbourne http://electricvogue.blogspot.com/searc ... -date=true
Sorry I should have piped up earlier. The motor was slightly off but my main problem is my 50 year old differential. Still driving on it though. Friends who have been in the car at speed say I'm being a bit over sensitive about it. Precision did a good job and we're most helpful. Given the length of the tailshaft perhaps I should have gone for a split shift.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Johny wrote: Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 09:11
woody wrote: Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 07:52 @Johnny got a sliding spline made for his Vogue at Precision Balancing in Melbourne http://electricvogue.blogspot.com/searc ... -date=true
Sorry I should have piped up earlier. The motor was slightly off but my main problem is my 50 year old differential. Still driving on it though. Friends who have been in the car at speed say I'm being a bit over sensitive about it. Precision did a good job and we're most helpful. Given the length of the tailshaft perhaps I should have gone for a split shift.
Back in the days of the Ford LTD and Landau (stretched body Fairlane and 2 door Fairmont) they suffered tail shaft vibration because of the long shaft and possibly because they weren't put together quite straight. The go was to put a hose clamp around the tail shaft, turn it to put the screw part in different positions as well as slide it up and down the length of the tail shaft till the problem was sorted to the point the owner either gave up or was satisfied :lol: Might be worth a try

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
woody

Post by woody »

T1 Terry wrote: Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 11:33
Back in the days of the Ford LTD and Landau (stretched body Fairlane and 2 door Fairmont) they suffered tail shaft vibration because of the long shaft and possibly because they weren't put together quite straight. The go was to put a hose clamp around the tail shaft, turn it to put the screw part in different positions as well as slide it up and down the length of the tail shaft till the problem was sorted to the point the owner either gave up or was satisfied :lol: Might be worth a try

T1 Terry
http://electricvogue.blogspot.com/2014/ ... ncing.html :D
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
Johny

Post by Johny »

woody wrote: Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 12:20
T1 Terry wrote: Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 11:33

T1 Terry
...and it's still there 35k km later.